anyone chipped their 1.2?

20bhp doesn't sound like a missive improvement? I'm guessing it makes your warranty void and puts your insurance up. I think if it was a bit more I'd consider it.

What? That's ~20% power increase, certainly not to be sniffed at from just a remap!

The Mountune upgrade on the Fiesta ST is well regarded as vastly improving the car, but it only adds 15bhp which is <10% (basic car is 200bhp)

20bhp doesn't sound like a missive improvement? I'm guessing it makes your warranty void and puts your insurance up. I think if it was a bit more I'd consider it.

Key thing is to look at the % gains... then it starts to look more appealing..

If I didn't have the low rev lag that would be fine, I don't need more top end.

Rover Ron (Synergy) used to do "Eco" tuning boxes that just boosted the bottom of the rev range but didn't increase peak power( leaving the insurance costs standard I believe)

I wonder if there are any mappers who do that sort of stuff.

Well it's no where near 20% then is it, I'm not getting pedantic at all I'm saying 20bhp doesn't sound a lot given the down side of still having a warranty, increased fuel consumption, insurance and having to get it put back for servicing. As I said I'm actually quite interested in getting it done and if it were 20% it might be worth it. I might just try a performance air filter, premium fuel and redex fuel additive first. These forums are for information sharing and helping not trying to make rude comments or one upmanship as certain other people seem to try and do. CChill out

I would say 20% is a big gain for a small engine which is already the higher of two power options. Is the gain in torque similar? I'm afraid a performance air filter will do nothing (apart from making a louder induction noise) unless you remap anyway as the engine will only suck in a predetermined amount of air and the standard filter is more than up to the job.

Ditto for super unleaded. My understanding is you would need to retard the timing to improve compression as this engine won't automatically detect the higher octane fuel and so you won't see any real benefits.

As an aside, my 86 engine doesn't seem to suffer fron lag, so it must be a boost pressure thing.

• Like 1

Fifth gear did a program on different fuel types a few years ago and scientifically proved expensive fuel does add bhp, about 5 bhp. My 1.2 105bhp doesn't really suffer from turbo lag either so I'm kind of happy and to be honest I reckon it's more than 105 plus the cars seriously light, so power to weight is quite good. I'd love to make it more but I'm going to wait til it's 3.

Well it's no where near 20% then is it

Huh? A 20bhp increase on the 105ps (103.564 bhp) car would be 19.311% gain.  On the newer 110ps (108.495) unit, it would be 18.434%.  I thought ~20% was a close enough approximation.

As to whether it's worth it, that's up to you.  Personally, I don't think I'll be remapping the wife's Spaceback until the warranty has expired.

These forums are for information sharing and helping not trying to make rude comments or one upmanship as certain other people seem to try and do. CChill out

I totally agree with this, but respectfully point out some of your posts have been unnecessarily inflammatory too.  Let's just keep it light and stay on topic :)

Fifth gear did a program on different fuel types a few years ago and scientifically proved expensive fuel does add bhp, about 5 bhp. My 1.2 105bhp doesn't really suffer from turbo lag either so I'm kind of happy and to be honest I reckon it's more than 105 plus the cars seriously light, so power to weight is quite good. I'd love to make it more but I'm going to wait til it's 3.

If you mean this test:

Then the result was that it depends on the car. I'm sceptical about the benefits for the 1.2 as it's not a performance engine, although with fuel currently the price it is, it's worth a go (Lol at the price of fuel at the start of the video!)

Unfortunately I can't open the link but you are probably right a 1.2 isn't a performance engine by any stretch of the information. I use premium fuel and redex but in reality I bet it doesn't make a jot of difference. For what it is it drives quickly enough and being a light car that also helps too.

The car would need to go back to the tuner if map was go back to normal and then again to have custom map put back. In my case I have been offered this service free of charge until warranty runs out on the vehicle, but this might just be because of the company I have went with, the guy was great and very friendly. The map was never done so I would have a hotrod, I would go back to driving an Impreza if I wanted that, unfortunately with young twins and four other kids the Impreza had to go to make way for a big car and a runabout, which the Rapid is. I just cant resist messing about with my cars, so until fast cars return I will just need to stick to modding this. It was more of an experiment to see what could be done with the little engine and I am happy with the outcome. Sorry if this has caused any arguments but its all a bit of fun.

• Like 1