Very Very urgent opinions and info needed please.......

5 weeks ago we brought a 1.2 TDI Greenline model, 2012 with 19k on the clock. Since then and my wife doing lots of short journeys - the DPF warning light has come on twice and is trying to do it's second regeneration. We previously cleared this by doing a long drive.

Because of this and new found knowledge regarding the DPF, this model is not suitable for our needs and I am in the process of swapping for a petrol model instead - wife does journeys between2 - 4 miles at a time - most in traffic round town.

We like the Roomster so want another one.

The TDI has been an expensive mistake, I am looking at a 1.2 12v SE model of the same age / mileage and viewing tomorrow afternoon. Other models (TSI) 1.2 are available - what is the difference?

Can somebody advise what the 1.2 petrol's are like - good reliable motors, for round town use, anything I should look out for - models to avoid - all input gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

The 1.2 12V is fine for what it is. If you just do town runs then I'd say it's more than up to the job.

If you need to carry a lot of stuff/people then avoid the normal 12v and go for the TSI.

The TSI is turbo charged and has better economy etc.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

Also... which 1.2 TSI is it as there are different power versions available. They are physically identical but one is 84bhp and one is 105bhp.

If you compare the 1.2 12V to the 1.2 TSI 85ps;

42 mpg vs 49mpg

Band G tax vs Band E tax

15.4 seconds vs 12.2 second 0-60mph

83lb-ft vs 118lb-ft of torque

If the 1.2 TSI is in your budget then go for that!

Phil

• Like 2

Hello Phil, thanks for your reply, we have the option of a staright swap for a 12 plate 1.2 12v.

From your points, we are using it for multiple stop start journeys round town of 1.5 - 4 mile durations, just the wife driving with a few odd gardening tools - so no weight. She can claim mileage (self employed) so economy is not so important - just a reliable small run around which on odd occasions may carry a lawnmower and some lightweight garden waste.

I also do my own maintenance, do you know if these are easily serviced and maintained by the home mechanic?

1.2 12v is more than up to the job. its not a bad engine at all 

ive got the engine in the Fab and its good for what it is. returns 50mpg, 3rd gear overtakes are better than youd think and 3k rpm at 70mph doing 50mpg. its a simple engine. 

The TSI is abit more complicated, having a turbo aswel. its a nice little engine, but listen out for camchain rattles on start up with the earlier models. 

if its just 3-4 miles in town driving, i cant see much point in having the TSI. Would be better with the relatively bulletproof simplistic 12 12v imo 

• Like 1

Hello Phil, thanks for your reply, we have the option of a staright swap for a 12 plate 1.2 12v.

From your points, we are using it for multiple stop start journeys round town of 1.5 - 4 mile durations, just the wife driving with a few odd gardening tools - so no weight. She can claim mileage (self employed) so economy is not so important - just a reliable small run around which on odd occasions may carry a lawnmower and some lightweight garden waste.

I also do my own maintenance, do you know if these are easily serviced and maintained by the home mechanic?

the 12v meets that criteria perfectly. 

why pay more for a more complicated engine with a turbo, when youre never going to benefit from it? 

• Like 1

Thanks to all contributors for your opinions and advice, we made an expensive mistake with the Greenline and will loose about a grand in 5 weeks - good money if you can get it !!!

You live and learn, i have owned many diesels previously which have not had a DPF so not encountered this problem before and hence chose the wrong model. I do not have a problem with this - just need to rectify the issue ASAP.

We rarely leave Weymouth town and have no motorways nearby so think the 12V could be a contender - will go to Southampton and test drive one, if this is not powerful enough then the TSI is an option.

• Like 1

Thanks to all contributors for your opinions and advice, we made an expensive mistake with the Greenline and will loose about a grand in 5 weeks - good money if you can get it !!!

You live and learn, i have owned many diesels previously which have not had a DPF so not encountered this problem before and hence chose the wrong model. I do not have a problem with this - just need to rectify the issue ASAP.

We rarely leave Weymouth town and have no motorways nearby so think the 12V could be a contender - will go to Southampton and test drive one, if this is not powerful enough then the TSI is an option.

I dont actually find my 12v that short of power when im on my own (im no stranger to power either. Having motorbikes as a hobby) . I still overtake things, set the cruise to 70-75.

Only time it feels a tad short is with a full car and also if i reach the end of the 50mph average speed cameras on the motorway, whwn i want to take off with the Audi's up to 80mph, it obviously wont. But a tsi wouldnt either. So :D

• Like 1

When you test the 12V remember it is a 3-cylinder engine. That is fine as my sister-in-law has that engine in her Fabia. The engine has a slightly different sound on start-up than the 1.2tsi 4 pot

depends on the year of the car. the earlier ones whistle more and growl when you boot them... the later ones after the revisions don't whistle so much, but do have a higher ratio gearbox and get better economy, however the latest ones arent as responsive at really low revs, between 1k and 2k revs. You only really notice this when stationary. 

• Like 1

We have  TDI  wife does 2 miles each way to work 3 days a week. She never goes above 3rd gear, and no problems in 50'000 miles. Of course we also do long runs driving normally.

• Like 1

Just a thought. Is it worth staying with the TDI and have the engine tested for emissions. I know that diesels are prone to smoking problems and adjustments have to be made to keep them sweet. It may be an EGR valve, wastegate, turbo, or MAFF sensor adjustment. To rectify the problem may be a fraction of the £1000 lost

Edited by edbostan
  • Like 1

I still don't think a 1.2 TDI with a DPF is an appropriate car for the mileages they are driving.

It's going to constantly run cold (not good for the engine or the driver!)

If the car is only ever doing 4 miles maximum there's no way it's even anywhere near warm and it is never going to be able to perform a DPF regen.

To be honest the dealer that sold the car should have checked it's intended use.

• Like 4

Thanks guys for the valuable input, we bit the bullet and swapped the TDI for the 1.2 12v, drove back well from Southampton and the wife (who is main driver) was very happy with it. I found it growled a little as mentioned and as expected was less torque'y but on the whole ok. So another chapter turned in the book of life !!!!

Need to think about fitting a towbar - haven't checked yet but are there any guides???