Anyone else had this problem?

I picked up my 15 plate Octavia VRS estate last week. Now that I've had a chance to give it a run I noticed a wind noise coming from the rear drivers side door. At first I thought the window must have been open a little but it wasn't.

It starts at around 60mph and is very noticeable. I have checked the door seals and they are all fine.

It's put such a downer on the new car. I absolutely love the car but this noise is driving me crazy. So much so I'm thinking of returning it.

• Like 1

Never heard that one before.

Some complain there is wind noise from the wing mirrors at speed which must be more than our speed limit because ours is barely noticeable.

Maybe your problem is not with the seal (if it looks ok) but how the door is hung?

Certainly a valid reason to return to the dealer and at least let them fix it before rejecting it.

Or what Ken said.

Edited by Gerrycan

I've always thought I was crazy about this but I am sure I have something similar on my car. At slow speeds when cars drive pass me on the road I am sure there is a leak or something over right ear as I can hear the car drive pass much more than I would think.

As if there is an open window or something.

Have you driven a like for like car at the dealer. I would do this maybe even try running a sound level meter (or app) if the noise is so pronounced.

I would guess a poorly hung door, none of my doors close with the same clunk with each door requiring a different amount of slamming force. As mentioned though it could also be a poorly fitted door/window seal. Run it past the dealer, do some test drives to compare.

I doubt rejection of vehicle will be applicable. Skoda policy of 5 differing faults on the car to be able to even discuss rejection with SUK.

In fairness I think my car is a tad noisier now around the front doors due to them both being taken off for a paint job.

I think that as the car is generally quiet and unlike a Ford tractor (mines a TDI) certain noises are more apparent to the discerning driver.

You sometimes have to weigh up the pros and cons of the car being fettled back at the dealer. To solve one noise may cause a further issues if the remedial work is quite intrusive. If you know you have good proven dealer mechanics then you know your car is in good hands, otherwise it may be an option to leave alone?

My car, although previously stating it's very quiet for a diesel does make a noticeable buzzing/resonating noise from cold when pulling away until the engine is at temperature. Visually I have checked that nothing appears loose and dangerous (sounds emanates from engine bay) so personally in my opinion that's the way it is and will be until the PCP is terminated. It's just been serviced and there were no reports regarding any remedial work carried out.

I've always thought I was crazy about this but I am sure I have something similar on my car. At slow speeds when cars drive pass me on the road I am sure there is a leak or something over right ear as I can hear the car drive pass much more than I would think.

As if there is an open window or something.

That makes 2 of us. At motorway speed with crosswinds there's a very annoying whistle. Can't work out if it's a gap in the seal by my right ear somewhere or is its turbulence outside the car

• Like 1

Have to say at motorway speed I have found myself subconsciously trying the rear window switches to ensure the windows are fully closed. But I've not had whistles and it's not that intrusive. Overall my car is much quieter than Insignia / Focus hire cars I've had and not much different to the V60 I had last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Skodev

I picked up my 15 plate Octavia VRS estate last week. Now that I've had a chance to give it a run I noticed a wind noise coming from the rear drivers side door. At first I thought the window must have been open a little but it wasn't.

It starts at around 60mph and is very noticeable. I have checked the door seals and they are all fine.

It's put such a downer on the new car. I absolutely love the car but this noise is driving me crazy. So much so I'm thinking of returning it.

This plastic part can make stupid "wind noise" at the bottom of the windscreen.

Mine is not affected, but once I used a courtesy O3 for 3 days with this issue.

Noise starts at 100 kph as you described.

Some bending helped in my case (at least for the next 2 days).

You can apply plastic tape temporarily to check if that's the problem.

IMG_1429.jpg

• Like 1

This plastic part can make stupid "wind noise" at the bottom of the windscreen.

Mine is not affected, but once I used a courtesy O3 for 3 days with this issue.

Noise starts at 100 kph as you described.

Some bending helped in my case (at least for the next 2 days).

You can apply plastic tape temporarily to check if that's the problem.

IMG_1429.jpg

Usually rears its head if the windscreen has been replaced

Might be a dumb question but do you have a sunroof?

First drive in mine with sunroof slightly open and at 60+ mph resulted in wind noise that came from just below ear level on the rear passenger door!