wow... we did good mpg over the festive period! post your tankfull mileage!

unvented.

dno then. if im brimming it for a long journey (which is when id obv get the best fuel economy) its a vented tank. 

cant see me doing anything else. seems pointless tbh. 

that 48mpg is a trip to wales, around for about 5 days then back.. with plenty of fuel to spare. so plenty of cold starts too, and i wasnt driving fuel efficiently (i havent got that programmed in me for more than 5 minutes). But if im not doing a trip.. i just stick £20-£30 in here n there. 

edit: why would anyone spend the time to brim every drop in, but not vent? 

Edited by fabiamk2SE

seriously?  what do you think its there for ? its space to let the fuel expand... millions are spent on techs deicing important things.... If I fill up and "vent" (which is NOT a procedure to fill up a car , its a "cheat" to get more fuel in...) tonight or tomorrow when its going to be -3C here ,,,,, and in the next few days after new years when its going to be 12C again.... If i don't drive in between... where is that fuel going to go ? It will expand , and cause serious problems... fuel spillage, crashes on slick tarmac, lost fuel, and worse fuel economy ....  dead cats!!!!!!!!!! need i go on?! Jesus, what is the world coming to?! I cant cope. I just fill it up.... sorry.

and i REPEAT I just happened to go from full tank to empty , in random circumstances, and was asking what others may have had......I'mNOT saying this is the way we should judge fuel economy..... there are NO prizes.... I don't care who comes first , I just asked a question....

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

seriously?  what do you think its there for ? its space to let the fuel expand... millions are spent on techs deicing important things.... If I fill up and "vent" (which is NOT a procedure to fill up a car , its a "cheat" to get more fuel in...) tonight or tomorrow when its going to be -3C here ,,,,, and in the next few days after new years when its going to be 12C again.... If i don't drive in between... where is that fuel going to go ? It will expand , and cause serious problems... fuel spillage, crashes on slick tarmac, lost fuel, and worse fuel economy ....  dead cats!!!!!!!!!! need i go on?! Jesus, what is the world coming to?! I cant cope. I just fill it up.... sorry.

and i REPEAT I just happened to go from full tank to empty , in random circumstances, and was asking what others may have had......I'mNOT saying this is the way we should judge fuel economy..... there are NO prizes.... I don't care who comes first , I just asked a question....

not sure youve fully grasped what i meant. 

im well aware what expansion is.. im a plumbing and heating engineer. i could probably educate you on it. 

My point is though.. who tries to get the best mileage out of an unvented tank. the only time im bothered about mileage is when im going on a long trip.. in which case ill vent the tank just before i leave. 

The rest of the time.. its 20 or 30 quid. 

Does anybody spend their time trying to get the last drop in an unvented tank? 

its 1 of 2 things:

1) filling up for normal day to day journeys.. in which case first click.. or 20 quid, or 30 quid, or whatever. 

2) actually filling up to get the best from a tank before a long journey.. in which case its a vented tank, and this thread doesn't allow that. 

im not complaining on the thread.. just sayin not that many drivers might do that. i dont.. i cant see the point. 

That would be all. 

Feel free to chill the **** out. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 2

not sure youve fully grasped what i meant.

im well aware what expansion is.. im a plumbing and heating engineer. i could probably educate you on it.

My point is though.. who tries to get the best mileage out of an unvented tank. the only time im bothered about mileage is when im going on a long trip.. in which case ill vent the tank just before i leave.

The rest of the time.. its 20 or 30 quid.

Does anybody spend their time trying to get the last drop in an unvented tank?

its 1 of 2 things:

1) filling up for normal day to day journeys.. in which case first click.. or 20 quid, or 30 quid, or whatever.

2) actually filling up to get the best from a tank before a long journey.. in which case its a vented tank, and this thread doesn't allow that.

im not complaining on the thread.. just sayin not that many drivers might do that. i dont.. i cant see the point.

That would be all.

Feel free to chill the **** out.

This :beer:
  • Like 1

dno then. if im brimming it for a long journey (which is when id obv get the best fuel economy) its a vented tank. 

cant see me doing anything else. seems pointless tbh. 

that 48mpg is a trip to wales, around for about 5 days then back.. with plenty of fuel to spare. so plenty of cold starts too, and i wasnt driving fuel efficiently (i havent got that programmed in me for more than 5 minutes). But if im not doing a trip.. i just stick £20-£30 in here n there. 

Because I drive a petrol car for short journeys. The fuel would expand and risks would be increased, it isn't essential to fill it to the absolute brim because I'm never going to do more than 30 miles in a normal day but I don't want to fill up every other day so I fill it. Also filling up helps to track MPG because you actually know how much you have used. Not that I bought the car for MPG or actually care about it (unless it just happens to be included in a new wave of petrol cars effected in the VW scandal then I bought it just for economy and nothing else, honest)

Edited by Outofthi5world
  • Like 1

Because I drive a petrol car for short journeys. The fuel would expand and risks would be increased, it isn't essential to fill it to the absolute brim because I'm never going to do more than 30 miles in a normal day but I don't want to fill up every other day so I fill it. Also filling up helps to track MPG because you actually know how much you have used.

but if you arent filling up to the max, you dont really know if its a fair test. 

its all too easy to 'accidentally' push the vent button with the nozzle and hey, whys the VRS so close to a Greenline. 

<SNIP>

Also filling up helps to track MPG because you actually know how much you have used.

<SNIP>

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON.

Pretending to "track MPG" on a single tankful or journey is utterly pointless; it suggests a serious degree of boredom. Deliberately "venting" the tank is dangerous, pointless and stupid unless you are attempting to cross a desert.

Just vented a vRS early this morning in temps around Zero Degrees.

(Oil temp was only above an indicated 80*oC when the outside temp got to 3.5*oC in the Rain.)

37 Litres of 99 ron in when there was showing a 90 mile range.  (Venting allowed it to takein an extra 7 litres.)

That took it to showing a 410 mile range.  

Covered 67 miles doing between 38-42 MPG Indicated, 70 & then 50 mph average speed cameras.

and now sitting with the car showing a 380 mile range.

The only way i will know how much i actually use is once i vent it again in a couple of days.

• Like 1

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON.

Pretending to "track MPG" on a single tankful or journey is utterly pointless; it suggests a serious degree of boredom. Deliberately "venting" the tank is dangerous, pointless and stupid unless you are attempting to cross a desert.

Maybe it's because I'm f*****g bored OK
  • Like 2

As to crossing a desert being when you might want to vent a tank.

Think more like going up North of Inverness over the New Year Holiday weekend and wanting to have some enjoyable driving 

when there are very few opportunities to get Super Unleaded and you are already carrying 5 gallons extra in cans and getting the tank full 

can give you a decent range when you might be doing lower MPG's because you are playing, or might just end up needing to sit long periods with your engine running, heater and lights etc on because roads can be closed or blocked.

post-86161-0-13855600-1451557360_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-88516200-1451557396_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-53252400-1451557432_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-15678500-1451557466_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-02592900-1451557504_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-89318800-1451557536_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-58055500-1451557565_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-48259800-1451557595_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot
  • Like 2

677 miles from full to well into the red - I love my Greenline!! :D

From Simoneale1973's Fuelly:  Units:          US         UK         L/100km km/L G/100mi UK G/100mi km/G UK km/G mi/L     

Information Use Fuelly

Units:          US         UK         L/100km km/L G/100mi UK G/100mi km/G UK km/G mi/L     

Greenline II 2013 Skoda Fabia Combi

When you have filled your fuel to the brim, push the little slide in the top of the filler and you will hear the air go out.

Maybe 3 times pushed and you will get other an extra gallon in.

But really only do it if you are away to use at least a gallon before parking up.

(or just be aware of it incase you push the slide with the gun by mistake.)

I virtually never ever run my vRS until the tank is nearly empty.

I never deliberately overfill.

The greatest distance I have ever done on a single fillup is 439.4 miles over New Year 2014/2015.

My average based on litres in and miles covered is 40.0 MPG over about 20k miles.

Filled up my vRS estate after 452 miles today - it still showed 70 miles range. 45.1mpg on the slightly optimistic maxidot reading. That's from a full vented tankful of shell nitro 99 driving around over Christmas. I normally get 400 between fills.

Filled up my vRS estate after 452 miles today - it still showed 70 miles range. 45.1mpg on the slightly optimistic maxidot reading. That's from a full vented tankful of shell nitro 99 driving around over Christmas. I normally get 400 between fills.

apparently this is not at all relevant.. as its a vented tank. 

:S :D 

1) simoneale1973: 677 miles fabia greenline estate

2) punyXpress: 524 miles 2012 90 Tdi 9.14 gallons, 57.36mpg  ( only mileage taken from instruments )

3) Richard92 : 440 miles 1/4 tank left  :) Monte Carlo 105 TDI with Superchips stage 1

4)  MillsyVRS: 420 miles I think and that's stage 1 with Shell V Power used exclusively

5) sharkrider: 405 miles 97 RON CTHE (standard engine) vRS

6) George : 405 miles 99RON CAVE stage 1 . (updated estimate  ;) ) (I never "vent" )

7) Pee81: 380 miles CTHE vRS 99RON

8) Outofthi5world: 365 miles Monte Carlo 105 TSI 15 mile journeys.

9) YorkaBara: 260 miles vRS . short journeys, 6 miles.

Gone up from 346 to 365 miles today Standard driving for a few days and a trip down to RAF Waddington and back took it to that with 5 miles left according to the computer.

• Like 1

1) simoneale1973: 677 miles fabia greenline estate

2) punyXpress: 524 miles 2012 90 Tdi 9.14 gallons, 57.36mpg  ( only mileage taken from instruments )

3) Richard92 : 440 miles 1/4 tank left  :) Monte Carlo 105 TDI with Superchips stage 1

4)  MillsyVRS: 420 miles I think and that's stage 1 with Shell V Power used exclusively

5) sharkrider: 405 miles 97 RON CTHE (standard engine) vRS 6) George : 405 miles 99RON CAVE stage 1 . (updated estimate  ;) ) (I never "vent" )

7) Pee81: 380 miles CTHE vRS 99RON8) Outofthi5world: 346 miles Monte Carlo 105 TSI 15 mile journeys. 9) YorkaBara: 260 miles vRS . short journeys, 6 miles.

VrsGeo= 400 miles with smiles from 45 litres- till petrol light came on, stage 1.5, 99ron on winter wheels with a mix of short and medium length journeys
  • Like 1