12v supply for dash cam's?

Hi All,

My new SE-L Exec should be at the dealership this week according to the lease company so hopefully it should be mine in the next couple of weeks.

Have we had any definitive locations and preferably photo's of where a 12v switched supply can be tapped into up by the rear view mirror and in the boot for a rear facing camera (I believe 12 socket in the boot is permanent 12v)? Any info would be gratefully received.

Thanks for the info Paulbrown, mine is a hatchback but I've opted not to have the rear wiper so I assume this fuse will be free. I think its the rear camera that will be more of an issue, don't fancy running a wire from the front to rear of the car unless it's relatively straight forward (curtain airbag etc...).

Fitted a front facing camera to my superb estate and ran cable behind a pillar trim on passenger side, remove glovebox very easy just unclip hinge on left side, from there you have direct access to fusebox.

Just use piggyback fuse connector to connect to switched live.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 12v socket in the boot certainly is permanent live.

Be careful with the camera you choose as the Superb has a very large plastic housing covering the mirror housing / rain sensor / camera.

I opted for a Thinkview F750 and used the rear camera in the windscreen (quality is more than good enough and only very slightly down on the ‘main’ camera) and put the main camera in the back (attached to the brake light housing at the top of the rear window)

Cables were run through the rubber trunking between the hatch and body.

• Like 1

The 12v socket in the boot certainly is permanent live.

Be careful with the camera you choose as the Superb has a very large plastic housing covering the mirror housing / rain sensor / camera.

I opted for a Thinkview F750 and used the rear camera in the windscreen (quality is more than good enough and only very slightly down on the ‘main’ camera) and put the main camera in the back (attached to the brake light housing at the top of the rear window)

Cables were run through the rubber trunking between the hatch and body.

Hi Gizmo, where precisely did you mount the camera at the front? Regarding the regulations for mounting cameras, I see that you're not supposed to mount the camera in the wiper zone (interesting as on the SIII the wiper zone is the entire screen!) so I'm inclined to mount the front camera directly behind the rear view mirror, so it's directly in line with and below the camera in the housing you mention above.

Got any pics?

Cheers,

Mike

I appreciate that the MkIII Superb is a much more modern car than the Octavia but the basics for wiring, piggyback fuse holders etc. should be the same.

There is lots of very useful information here on where to run the wires and some of the common issues we've all come across...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/236786-dash-cams/?hl=%20rear%20%20camera

This thread was specific to the MkII Superb...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/319178-abeo-dash-cam/page-4?hl=%2Bsuperb+%2Bdash+%2Bcam#entry4116404

Edited by silver1011

Hi Gizmo, where precisely did you mount the camera at the front? Regarding the regulations for mounting cameras, I see that you're not supposed to mount the camera in the wiper zone (interesting as on the SIII the wiper zone is the entire screen!) so I'm inclined to mount the front camera directly behind the rear view mirror, so it's directly in line with and below the camera in the housing you mention above.

Got any pics?

Cheers,

Mike

I will take some photos later.

The front camera is as you suggest behind the rear view mirror, I placed mine in the middle right at the bottom of the plastic mirror housing, it cannot be seen from inside the car.

The rear one is going to be a compromise no matter where you mount it, so SWMBO and I spend a while looking at various positions before settling on the brake light housing / hatch trim.

If you have a rear wiper then that is where I would take the rear power supply from, as i did not want the rear wiper I am still considering my options where to take the ignition fed supply as currently I am using the 12v socket in the boot (all the 12v sockets are permanent live)

Front drivers side showing the cable routing:

From the N/S:

Rear camera:

Hatch open taken from the inside of boot:

Thank you VERY much for the rapid response and pictures - if it ever stops raining I'll have a go at fitting the camera this week. I also went for the TV 750...Mike

Page 239 onwards in the manual.

I've just installed my Nextbase 512G. The mount is IMHO way too big and bulky and there is a better solution out there I'm sure. I'm waiting for a smaller version of the 'saddle' type mount from China which sticks rather than uses a vacuum/suction pad. The camera also has a polarising filter which is rotated to remove reflections from the dash...very useful.

For info: There is an earth/ground point under the mounting screw at the left lower side of the glovebox area which you can easily undo with the box closed. All the other screws holding the glovebox/Columbus disc drive assembly into place do not appear to connect to grounded metal.

Feeding the wiring through can be a pain so I fed another wire down and through from the fuse board and taped the required power leads to it and pulled it back through.

The main wiring is behind the headlining and gently fed into the A-pillar trim, under the passenger door trim rubber seal lip in the door aperture and then across at the trim join for the dash and behind the glovebox. There is enough slack in the headlining fit to allow a ferrite core to be hidden too. Being a black wire means it is almost invisible.

To lower the glovebox you need to pull the damping arm towards you at the point it connects to the cover. It needs a bit of force but does click into place. At the top of the cover aperture are two plastic restrictors which need to be pushed back out of the way. This then allows the cover to fully drop to give access to the fuse box.

For power, I used Fuse 47 (15A) for the rear wiper as this is ignition switched. I was going to use Fuse 53 (20A) for the rear screen heater but it is a perm live - fine if that is your preference. The Nextbase wiring kit comes with a fuse piggyback kit (useful) and there are other fuse choices but the piggyback kit fouls against some of the special fuses in the box. The 512G camera has its own 6-10min battery, and the perm wiring kit sends a shutdown signal when power goes off so the unit powers down safely.

It isn't necessary to remove anything and I only had to undo the single screw to give me enough room to slide the fork connector on the ground lead into place before tightening it up again.

Page 239 onwards in the manual.

I've just installed my Nextbase 512G. The mount is IMHO way too big and bulky and there is a better solution out there I'm sure. I'm waiting for a smaller version of the 'saddle' type mount from China which sticks rather than uses a vacuum/suction pad. The camera also has a polarising filter which is rotated to remove reflections from the dash...very useful.

For info: There is an earth/ground point under the mounting screw at the left lower side of the glovebox area which you can easily undo with the box closed. All the other screws holding the glovebox/Columbus disc drive assembly into place do not appear to connect to grounded metal.

Feeding the wiring through can be a pain so I fed another wire down and through from the fuse board and taped the required power leads to it and pulled it back through.

The main wiring is behind the headlining and gently fed into the A-pillar trim, under the passenger door trim rubber seal lip in the door aperture and then across at the trim join for the dash and behind the glovebox. There is enough slack in the headlining fit to allow a ferrite core to be hidden too. Being a black wire means it is almost invisible.

To lower the glovebox you need to pull the damping arm towards you at the point it connects to the cover. It needs a bit of force but does click into place. At the top of the cover aperture are two plastic restrictors which need to be pushed back out of the way. This then allows the cover to fully drop to give access to the fuse box.

For power, I used Fuse 47 (15A) for the rear wiper as this is ignition switched. I was going to use Fuse 53 (20A) for the rear screen heater but it is a perm live - fine if that is your preference. The Nextbase wiring kit comes with a fuse piggyback kit (useful) and there are other fuse choices but the piggyback kit fouls against some of the special fuses in the box. The 512G camera has its own 6-10min battery, and the perm wiring kit sends a shutdown signal when power goes off so the unit powers down safely.

It isn't necessary to remove anything and I only had to undo the single screw to give me enough room to slide the fork connector on the ground lead into place before tightening it up again.

Thanks for this. I've still not got around to hard wiring my cameras. Due to the car arriving minus the rear wiper, fuse 47 is not wired so I will try to identify another suitable switched live.

I'm interested to read that you didn't remove any trim; how did you manage to get the wire inside the A pillar without removing the pillar trim?

Thanks for this. I've still not got around to hard wiring my cameras. Due to the car arriving minus the rear wiper, fuse 47 is not wired so I will try to identify another suitable switched live.

I'm interested to read that you didn't remove any trim; how did you manage to get the wire inside the A pillar without removing the pillar trim?

The 10A (red) fuse to the right of 47 (so assuming it’s 48?) is also ignition fed.

You can tuck the wires behind the rubber door seal so it sits behind the trim easily enough.

• Like 1

The 10A (red) fuse to the right of 47 (so assuming it’s 48?) is also ignition fed.

You can tuck the wires behind the rubber door seal so it sits behind the trim easily enough.

Thanks Gizmo, will take a look at that fuse.

I understand what you mean about tucking the wire under the rubber but what about getting from the headlining across the top of the A pillar trim to the rubber, does it still tuck in? I was all ready to take the trim off but I'd rather not if there's another tidy way.

Yes I managed to feed the wire beneath the roof lining and a pillar trim without moving it, the only visible wire is where the wire goes into the camera.

This is my fusebox (without rear wiper) the fuse I am talking about is the one to the left of the yellow box:

766b5df7-4956-48ed-a994-27f83242e9ee_zps

• Like 1

I gently fed the wire into the windscreen side of the A-pillar trim gap just by gently pushing it in with a trim tool. Any round ended slim flat tool will just push it through the gap and it just disappears.

Mine being an estate has a slightly different population in the fuse board.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something to be aware of:

If your camera has built in GPS and you have a heated front screen, you may have a problem picking up a satellite signal. I've transferred my dash cam from old S2 to new S3. Now takes up to 5 minutes to lock onto satellites and often drops out. Makes the speed reading unreliable. Investigating 'repeater' unit to fit inside car, but they look bulky.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I will take some photos later.

The front camera is as you suggest behind the rear view mirror, I placed mine in the middle right at the bottom of the plastic mirror housing, it cannot be seen from inside the car.

The rear one is going to be a compromise no matter where you mount it, so SWMBO and I spend a while looking at various positions before settling on the brake light housing / hatch trim.

If you have a rear wiper then that is where I would take the rear power supply from, as i did not want the rear wiper I am still considering my options where to take the ignition fed supply as currently I am using the 12v socket in the boot (all the 12v sockets are permanent live)

Hi, I am puzzled by your comment where you say if you have a rear wiper that is where you would take the power supply from - wouldn't this only be powered when the rear wiper is on?