Timing problems

iiPaul

Might be lucky but the only easy way to tell is to remove the tappets and measure the height of the valve tops. A bent one will be further down than a straight one..

That's the first check I do. Probly find those new followers are dead now if your lucky

Get all the followers out and measure the valve heights

I use a straight edge across the head and digital vernier but a short straight bar and tape measure would possibly get you close enough. Bear in mind it's put the same stress on all the followers so change them all.

No wonder it was noisy! Do all the parts of that seem to be accounted for?

There looks like there could be quite a big chunk missing in that picture doesn't there!

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Oops

5a82f3307ca5eb5e6648b1a8fd3028c6.jpg

There's the culprit! Put the old cam and followers back in and all is well!

Lesson learnt! Always double check the timing! I was lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't suppose you were able to ensure your old followers went back in the way they came out with the old camshaft were you?

You might experience some accelerated wear on the old followers if not as they will have bedded in to each cam lobe. It might not be that obvious at a quick glance.

Here is an example of a worn follower I had when I did this job on my car (next to a new dlc coated replacement). It wasn't overly dished but there were slight flat spots becoming evident on the cam lobe pushing on this.

Is this the sort of thing you had OP?

Edit: also from examples I've seen on Google images this is far from "bad" lol.

20150808_141130_zpshd9r15ji.jpg

Edited by AshVrs

I put pictures on a few month back (when Ash was asking advice on changing his) of one I done that had worn all the way through, the camshaft basically didn't have a lobe was just round!

Lol I've just been seeing if I can find that picture to add it here for reference!

• Like 1

I didn't manage to unfortunately, but they were in good condition considering its on 133k!

Felica, he had a rough start up and when it was hot and was started up again it winds over before it fires up, my Vrs done the rough start and it was down a worn cam and cracked tappet

So he thought his was the same and after me inspecting it and saying it was good be still insisted on me fitting the new cam ect..

Yep the set cam with new bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk