667 miles in the first week with Yeti 1.4TSI L&K

Austerby

needs a good thrashing to speed up the process, personally I'm going give mine a good spanking as soon as I get it warmed up   :devil:

I'd say that's the way to do it. :) My 150tdi DSG had the first 100 miles driven by a jobsworth delivery driver who wouldn't just rev the engine through the range a bit like I asked (he said he's been doing the job for years, never had a complaint about his gentle driving, knows what he's doing etc), my friend with the exact same car warmed it up and took it for a blast when new as I suggested... Now we're both sitting on around 1200 miles on the clock, we've tested the same journeys at the same time, same speed and acceleration as much as you can - she's averaging 3-5mpg better and subjectively her car feels more powerful. Yay.

Us 'seniors' get an insurance discount for the Yeti and we don't want the kids hooning and spoiling it's reputation for being a gentlemans carriage.

Realy!

D

Us 'seniors' get an insurance discount for the Yeti and we don't want the kids hooning and spoiling it's reputation for being a gentlemans carriage.

Realy!

D

My first bit of hooning saved me yesterday! At a T-junction in my housing estate, ASDA delivery driver in front turns right, I pull up to junction, he decides he's gone the wrong way - reverses (quickly!) to turn back into the junction - where I am! I'm already in "D" and rolling forwards so put my foot down, 4WD kicks in and the Yeti zips away (even in the cold morning frost on a corner I know gets slippy). Must have missed me by inches!

My first bit of hooning saved me yesterday! At a T-junction in my housing estate, ASDA delivery driver in front turns right, I pull up to junction, he decides he's gone the wrong way - reverses (quickly!) to turn back into the junction - where I am! I'm already in "D" and rolling forwards so put my foot down, 4WD kicks in and the Yeti zips away (even in the cold morning frost on a corner I know gets slippy). Must have missed me by inches!

No no no!

A gentleman would 'take it on the chin' and maintain a sense of decorum (as long as he had an independent witness, of course).

D

......err what were we talking about?........wouldn't want to get OT

• Like 1

My mileage rate has dropped off a bit but now at 780 miles in my first month with my new 1.4TSI L&K and it's showing average MPG at 41.5, which I find very acceptable for a mix of town, country and motorway. I've also noticed that it accelerates very smartly indeed when you want it to :)

Edited by Austerby
  • Like 2

My mileage rate has dropped off a bit but now at 780 miles in my first month with my new 1.4TSI L&K and it's showing average MPG at 41.5, which I find very acceptable for a mix of town, country and motorway. I've also noticed that it accelerates very smartly indeed when you want it to :)

You must cover very different roads to me. Mine are mostly short school runs at times and on roads that are not good for fuel economy.

My 1.4 petrol is currently showing around 30 and my previous 140bhp 4X4 diesel was only in the low 40s.

• Like 1

My 1.2 DSG has averaged 41.2 MPG over 40,000 miles so if you continue to get 41.5'ish then it may well be that the extra power of the 1.4 is resulting in the same mileage as the 1.2 - PROVIDING it is driven the same way!!

My 1.4 L&K (new in August 2015) now has 9700 miles on the clock and average consumption to date (based on dash computer '2') has been 39 mpg.

On individual trips, average consumption has been (using dash computer '1') anything from 28 to 42 depending on circumstances.

Edited by gruffydd
  • Like 1

Don't worry - numbers have come back and the current cost to change doesn't appeal at the moment. Though the dealer did say he has sold 3 X L&K 1.4s in the past couple of months - more than any other flavour of Yeti!

We discussed the absence of 'lesser' 1.4 variants and he was saying how the pre facelift 1.4 didn't sell well, which is probably the main reason for Skoda's reluctance to expand the offering.

As he pointed out though, that car had far higher emissions than the current 1.4 and was uncompetitively priced; too much more expensive than the 1.2 and too close to the TDI at the time. Diesel was also still 'flavour of the month' unlike now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And I'm back in the game - currently playing a couple of dealers off against one another and if I squeeze tight enough hopefully a 1.4 L&K will pop out.

Test drove a 1.4 TSI 150 bhp DSG Superb today (the only car the dealer had with the same engine) and have to say I was pleased with how it went for such a big car (shame a DSG isn't an option). Amazed that at 70 it was whispering along at only doing 2000 rpm - less than my 110 TDI!

As a matter of interest, what RPM is a 1.4 TSI L&K doing at 70?

New one picked up today.  

Did a blast out into the Ribble Valley to give the new girl a good run in, pretty pleased (despite a flooded road incident that almost had me worried).

100 pretty hard miles returned 34mpg on the display (will be doing brim to brim readings)

Not as much punch as the 140bhp diesel I swapped it for but still a very nice drive (just wish I could have got DSG)

Pleased to see it came with stop/start, didnt expect this and will be handy on the crap city commute the wife does

Pleased to see the fitted tow bar is a removable one, expected it to be fixed.

Missing the speed on the maxidot and the needle sweep so I'll have to get busy with VCDS

• Like 1

New one picked up today.

Did a blast out into the Ribble Valley to give the new girl a good run in, pretty pleased (despite a flooded road incident that almost had me worried).

100 pretty hard miles returned 34mpg on the display (will be doing brim to brim readings)

Not as much punch as the 140bhp diesel I swapped it for but still a very nice drive (just wish I could have got DSG)

Pleased to see it came with stop/start, didnt expect this and will be handy on the crap city commute the wife does

Missing the speed on the maxidot and the needle sweep so I'll have to get busy with VCDS

I'm surprised it's noticeably less punchy than a 140 TDI - do you think that is in part due to a tight new engine?

I also swapped from a 140 diesel 4X4 yeti to my L&K 1.4tsi petrol.

Can't say I've missed the 'punch' of the diesel in any way.

Only time it's caught me out was at low revs entering a roundabout. I was in second and the diesel would have pulled away. The petrol chugged a bit and needed first.

Other than that i'm very pleased.

Lots of great info on this thread.... Which is good as I ordered my 1.4 L&K yesterday!! Not only my first Yeti but my first Skoda - couldn't find anything to compare with the all around capabilities of this great little car.

• Like 2

70 in 6th is approx 2200rpm 

The difference is punch is down to less torque (320 vs 250).

Its not really a lack of it, there is plenty of go when you want it, its just a different power delivery and I'm noticing it as I've come from number of 1.9 PD and 2.0 CR TDi cars.

Cracking little engine really and I'm very happy, expecting better mpg round town but less on the longer runs. 

• Like 1

Finally collected mine today. Long drive home in pretty cr*ppy weather. Still need time to get used to everything, but first impressions are good. Now home with a sloe gin in one hand and the handbook in the other. Happy days :)

• Like 2

New one picked up today.  

As per another thread on the subject I think you will disappointed.

The Australian setting, I understand, used to give the large MPH readout, but I think the conclusion was that you can longer do that with the latest versions.

Well - a deal has been done and deposit paid over the phone. Going in to sign the paperwork this afternoon. 1.4 L&K in Cappuccino - the only option apart from the metallic paint is rear mud flaps. The only things apart from that I may consider are heated washers, folding front seat and spare wheel. Not sure even for £35 the heated washers are worth bothering about, it doesn't get that cold in Cornwall and with a heated screen.... Folding seat - I have roof bars which will do the odd time this is necessary. Spare wheel - makes the boot a bit shallow and my boot liner won't then fit. (Shame you can't get the external full size spare as in some markets). Any other thoughts before the order is 'locked down'?

• Like 1

If you add in the extra options you mention, the car will be exactly the same as mine! Oh - I added the driver fatigue sensor as well, but found out afterwards that that can be enabled by VCDS (?)

Edited by Citigopher

If you add in the extra options you mention, the car will be exactly the same as mine! Oh - I added the driver fatigue sensor as well, but found out afterwards that that can be enabled by VCDS (?)

In the end just stuck with the flaps and metallic.

My driver fat fatigue sensor is located in the passenger seat[emoji23]