A few Felicia questions from someone who doesn't have one...

Hey guys,

I have a few Felicia questions... Apologies for the list! Any help appreciated. I drive a Fabia but have often fancied having a Felicia for a bit. 

1. What are they like to look after/maintain? Is availability of parts an issue with it being so old?

2. A lot of the Felicias on Autotrader have very low miles for their age (50,000 - 75,000) - is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

3. Does the 1.9D have a turbo? Is it in any way related to VW's 1.9TDI/SDI engine?

4. I've heard they start to shake when you get above 60mph... is this true, and what's the handling like?

5. What should one be aware of when looking at one with a view to buying?

6. Is there much variation in trim levels?

7. Are they actually good fun to own and drive? I like the facelifted version and there are a few going very cheap. Kinda fancy one when I move my Fabia on but my SDI drives me mad because it's so slow on hills. 

Cheers all. Anything else I should know? I'm hoping to change car in the summer ideally, but no idea what I want next. Sorry for such a long list.

Turbo? You must be having a laugh ;)

1.3 is Skoda engine, 1.9 and 1.6 are VW but with different mounts so cannot engine swap (aaz for 1.6 from memory)

Handling seems OK, mines on 195 tyres on 7.5j so plenty of grip for the power. Lowering results in feeling the bumps.....

Mechanical parts are reasonably easy to get, panels and trim not so easy.

Low mileage is probably good, as it was most likely an old person who drove it to the shops once a week and kept it in their bungalow garage rest if the week.

Mines a 1.3 on 90k and seems to be running brilliantly (touch wood)

I have a Felicia pickup, Yes they resonate at about 60mph (mine is no PAS so feel it through the wheel) but it stops when you get to 64 or so.

Slow on hills in a fabia ? You will be dropping gears in these too, bit at least the weight is more favourable.

Laurin and klement trims is rare, I'm.no expert on trim. Pickups came in one variation I think

I enjoy driving mine, light an nippy enough at low speeds. Back to basic motoring. But it's my first and only car so I'm not the best person to ask....

Rust. Will be a problem somewhere.... Most of them are 15+yrs old so to be expected.

Hope this is of some use!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

1. What are they like to look after/maintain? Is availability of parts an issue with it being so old?

Reliable, cheap to maintain and repair.

2. A lot of the Felicias on Autotrader have very low miles for their age (50,000 - 75,000) - is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

It is normal. Some people don't go on long trips. Some people use it mostly for going to work. And some people owning a Felicia are not exactly rich to buy petrol daily. So nothing suspect or concerning.

3. Does the 1.9D have a turbo? Is it in any way related to VW's 1.9TDI/SDI engine?

No turbo. Low power. Not my cup of tea.

4. I've heard they start to shake when you get above 60mph... is this true, and what's the handling like?

Never heard of such common 'fault'.

Rust. Rear wheel arches, tailgate. In general a car that has been involved in a crash rusts quicker.

Yes. Mk2 from '98 on is closer to Fabia.

7. Are they actually good fun to own and drive?

We have a special pinned topic for this. It is titled FELICIA/FAVORIT APPRECIATION THREAD

Hello, yes I'd say very reliable. Mine just passed its MOT again this morning. 9000 miles since the last one, one advise for slight play in a rear wheel bearing, which is adjustable so no new parts required. I've had two Felicias over ten years and that's about normal.

As above, the diesel is an SDI so is rather slow, the 1.3 doesn't have great power either but is happy at higher revs so goes fairly well. The 1.6 has lots more low down torque but doesn't rev as well so not a lot quicker but is smoother and quieter, also has higher gear ratios.

Mine doesn't shake at any speed! And the handling I think is as good as any of its contemporaries. I've got wider tyres on mine now which does help as they can be a bit understeery. But they are very light and have great visibility which is something that has been lost in modern cars with their thick pillars, supposedly in the name of safety.

Basically two trim levels, LXi and GLXi, which has velour seats and a sunroof but also a few special editions which have various options as standard, electric front windows, alloy wheels, passenger airbag etc.

I'd say buy one, but I am biased.

Leaky windscreens are a common problem... I had enough water for the local family of ducks today!

Edited by ninjacj

Windshield leaks are not due to factory handling and mounting issues. But the windshield of Felicia is not epoxy glued. While this is an advantage when it comes to easy removal, rubber seal aging leads to rust, perforation then leaks. Any prior collision may deform the frame of the windshield resulting in leaks too.

Windshield leaks are not due to factory handling and mounting issues. But the windshield of Felicia is not epoxy glued. While this is an advantage when it comes to easy removal, rubber seal aging leads to rust, perforation then leaks. Any prior collision may deform the frame of the windshield resulting in leaks too.

Poor design it seems though! You have a lot of experience with the Felicias, do you recommend sealing the windscreen in or drilling the two drain holes at each bottom corner as said by Felicia16v in a guide somewhere? can't work out which is the most successful method

In order to answer to your question, there are a few things to take into consideration.

• Felicia has a body corrosion protection (see photo) that allowed Skoda to issue a 6-year warranty on the bodywork against corrosion.
  • Skoda chose not to bond the windshield to the frame for several reasons
  1. windshield removal is difficult and could potentially peel / distort the frame
  2. the epoxy-glue hardens in time and bodywork vibrations could stress and crack the windshield

When it comes to repairing the windshield leaks, I like to address the cause, not the effects. I am against drilling holes anywhere into the bodywork because the anti-corrosion protection is destroyed. Furthermore, the cause is the seal of the windshield. It hardens, it cracks from age, fatigue, sun, frost, salt, etc. So in my opinion a well-done job implies the following:

• remove the windshield, discard the old seal
  • repair any rust damage, straighten the frame, restore its shape all around
  • neutralize the rust then dry the surface of the frame
  • apply a thick continuous bead of silicone for exteriors
  • install the windshield using a new rubber seal
  • clean all around the excess of silicone

It is very important to do that in a warm, dry room and to follow to the letter the instructions for every chemical you apply. Also avoid any rubber coming from China. It is poor quality. By doing all the above you'll enjoy a no leaks windshield for decays to come.

2nuKnJP.jpg

• Like 1

> Fairly easy and basic to work on. Mechanical parts are dirt cheap. Most body parts are available pattern and there's 3 in every scrapyard.

> Granny owners, mechanically it isn't a bad thing, but some old folks can be bad for bumping into or up things and smoking clutches.

No turbo, it's a forerunner to the SDI. I drove my brother's 1,9 pickup for a a bit and it didn't seem particularly slow for what it was. There's not many hills round here though!

No shaking noticed as such, but they get a bit noisy. Handling is a bit basic. Fine for day to day driving, but if you give it stick, expect understeer.

Don't get a 1.6, they're no faster than the others (between me and my brother, we've had all engines, the 1.3 skoda engine elt the quickest), heavy on juice and prone to using oil.

Pickups rust, but cars don't seem bad for it

They all rust under the windscreen, if it holes, your dash wiring can get wet and start to do weird stuff. If the screen's cracked at the bottom, there will pretty much definitely be a rust blob down there.

Gearboxes can spit oil up the speedo cable if the breather's blocked, easy enough to rod it clear though.

There's a few trim levels, main things it boils down to are power steering, central locking, different wheels and a slightly less crap radio.

7. Are they actually good fun to own and drive? I like the facelifted version and there are a few going very cheap. Kinda fancy one when I move my Fabia on but my SDI drives me mad because it's so slow on hills.

They've definitely got "character", whether that's in a good way or not depends on your idea of fun. I'm a bit with James May, I like driving basic, slow, underpowered things. When it was working right, I always enjoyed driving the pickup, I have to behave like an utter tit to get any fun out of the Ibiza that replaced it.

Edited by StevesTruck
  • Like 1

Don't get a 1.6, they're no faster than the others (between me and my brother, we've had all engines, the 1.3 skoda engine elt the quickest), heavy on juice and prone to using oil.

I would have to disagree there. I think the 1.6 is a bit quicker, especially off the mark. I know they're not a lot quicker but that's not really the point. It is a lot quieter and smoother with lots of low down torque so you don't have to change gear as much. And with the higher gearing they are much more relaxed at motorway speeds.

With all cars now being 15 to 20 years old and numbers dropping (there's rarely more than about a dozen on ebay or autotrader now) I would just say go for the best condition one regardless of engine type.

The truth about AEE engine mounted on Felicia is rather dark. VW choked this engine (and AEF too) on Skoda's throat as fresh VAG members. Both engines have low performance.

On the other hand, we're banging our heads here and the OP doesn't give a rat's a$$...

Edited by RicardoM

Thanks guys - fascinating reading! Apologies its taken me a while to get back on; I can't get on forums at work so have less time to check here. Thanks for all contributions. Seriously thinking about it...