Oil catch can info required

I was looking at oil catch cans a while back as I need one for my car as I've done all the other mods just need the can now to complete it.

Did a search and I see most people use the saiko michi ones but they usually need to be on group buys to get a reasonable price. I've looked on ebay and there's quite a few and don't know if there are any on ebay that fit the bill?

Also found this one through google which looks ok and says it's specifically for the vag 1.8t and price seems ok but wondered if anyone has experienced this product or from the description tell me if it's what I need or point me in the direction of the one I need.

http://www.alloyracingfabrications.com/alloy-oil-catch-tank.html

Any info appreciated

Cheers

19mm in from rocker cover + 19mm in from the oil filter housing inlets, the 19mm back to the hockey puck - seems legit. mounting on the front panel next to the passenger light/battery whilst dodging that coolant pipe and the SAI pipe (if its still there!)

£55 seems a lot for a box with 3 holes and a few fittings tho? (Yorkshire lad all the way through!)

I made one for a pound...

Will upload a pic once I work out how..

post-117221-0-76062600-1452029794_thumb.jpg

Edited by Octabus
  • Like 1

Well there's a few options out there.

The michi ones are around £100 ish I believe.

Ebay has a few with 19mm ports and range from £30-£60ish

Do they need emptying much as I'm lazy so would rather get a larger one if need be lol

Is been baffled a good idea?

Are they better sealed rather than having the filter on it as I don't want oily fumes choking me.

The car isn't on the road and even when it does go on the road I'd be suprised if it will drive more than a 1000 miles in the year so I don't suppose it really matters,might just be thinking about it too much instead of doing my usual thing of just buying the cheapest haha

personally I would like the following:

• a pull toggle drain underneath (easier than a bolt)
  • you can open it up to see whats inside / faff with it
  • either a window or a viewing tube so you can see if it wants attention
  • blends in with the engine bay
  • about £20 max!

As I said, I emptied mine a few times a week at first, but the weather was cold and wet - it was mainly water inside

check it when you check your oil/screenwash etc

you get used to how often to empty it - once a month seemed average in summer (each car will be different depending on many things)

I ended up just piping straight to the hockey puck in the end as the pint inside the tin was wrinkling up and I was worried about snorking a lump of it into the intake!

• Like 1

from my limited knowledge , it needs to be baffled, something to catch the oil in the bottom of it, youll find the cheaper ones sealed have nothing in them. not sure wht the one uve linked has 3 ports???

this is the one i have bought but the ports are too small so im going about getting them made bigger or failing that making a whole new lid. this is the one i bought

1901_1_zpszie3kyar.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180748443567?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

I'm assuming the one I linked having 3 ports is to save you having to tee the crankcase to the rocker cover and with there unit you just run individual pipes to the can and 1 return?

Think from reading it's best to have 19mm inlet/outlet and not have reducers to go into the can as it may cause a restriction but again I'm only making assumptions.

The pic above is the same one I have sat in my shed waiting for the right day... You can buy the fittings to screw in but given that most other cars rarely have oil breathers any larger than 15mm, you have to question why skoda needs such a big diameter?

I suspect it may be due to the pcv/turbo jet nozzle nonsense they use, so if you are ripping that out (as most people do) to resolve the leeks/broken bits then I don't see why dropping down to 15mm will be an issue. its also easier and neater running the hoses back and forth under the engine bay,

The 3 ports on the catch can save you using one T piece, but does mean having extra pipework.. I don't see any real advantages doing it either way,

IMG_0292.jpg

Theres a guide here for the catch can install which I used to do mine.

I'm currently going straight to the puck from the two connections on the block as my temporary catch can wasn't looking too healthy!

• Like 1

As mentioned baffles mean it's actually doing something useful other than just collecting condensation. The stuff that comes out of a baffled catch can (like a michi) is minging.

I went round down to the 90 degree elbow as well so I could get rid of all that crap pipework under the manifold. Don't forget your fluoro hoses, I got mine from ASH on e bay at half price (coz it ain't cheap).

• Like 1

so all the info points to not really recommending going from 19mm to 15mm, question is how much pressure is coming into the can, say the cars stock thats like 0.7bar? from the turbo is that much pressure going thru the catch can too or is it a lot less i would presume its a lot less. ??

The car isn't on the road and even when it does go on the road I'd be suprised if it will drive more than a 1000 miles in the year so I don't suppose it really matters,might just be thinking about it too much instead of doing my usual thing of just buying the cheapest haha

I wouldn't bother with one mate!

I fitted a michi can years back and ended up removing it in the end. All it did was act as a condenser unit, cluttered up the engine bay and I quickly realised it was a downgrade from the standard pipework and routing.

Mine caught almost entirely water. Aluminium is obviously an excellent conductor and it's right at the front of the engine bay so was pretty efficient at condensing in the winter! The standard pipework hugs the engine closely and is made of plastic/rubber, so the water vapour generated by heating the engine oil stays as vapour and is used in the combustion process. Nice and neat and efficient, oh and it fits properly! Plus it's just another thing to service and more sources of possible leaks.

Standard FTW!

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother with one mate!

I fitted a michi can years back and ended up removing it in the end. All it did was act as a condenser unit, cluttered up the engine bay and I quickly realised it was a downgrade from the standard pipework and routing.

Mine caught almost entirely water. Aluminium is obviously an excellent conductor and it's right at the front of the engine bay so was pretty efficient at condensing in the winter! The standard pipework hugs the engine closely and is made of plastic/rubber, so the water vapour generated by heating the engine oil stays as vapour and is used in the combustion process. Nice and neat and efficient, oh and it fits properly! Plus it's just another thing to service and more sources of possible leaks.

Standard FTW!

Well I did all the deletes a long while ago as I was getting split pipes so got rid of it all now but it's currently tee'd from the crankcase to rocker cover and then diverted straight back into the pancake as I didn't have a can at the time but thought I should get a can now,don't want to spend a fortune as I don't even use the car but thought I better get one in case been piped as it is causes any issues?

If you want a Michi catch can I have a black one, with sight tube.

I bought it a while back when Lloyd was doing a group buy and never got round to fitting it.

Bill.

Oooooo.... not touched Bookfaeces in around 2yrs :D incidently, simce around the time i realised the chat zone here was better fun than lookin at pictures of some friend of friends dinner :D