VW shark fin aerial - part # required

as tittle - does anyone have a part number for the VW shark fin style aerial that can be retro fitted to the Fabia?

I've searched through threads on here and although people mention it / the shorter Polo one / Honda S2000 no-one has posted a part number.

I'd rather give the guy at TPS a part number than have him searching for something that might fit the bill.

Cheers 

Edited by Kevin_Mc

That's the polo version which has an aerial that screws into it, the part i'm after looks like the photo below and is apparently an original VW item from a Golf or Jetta. I don't know if that requires an amp but i read on here that it was plug and play once the bases are swapped over. There are non-OEM versions on eBay

1206476d1392008617-vw-polo-diy-installin

1206607d1392021061-vw-polo-diy-installin

1206512d1392013421-vw-polo-diy-installin

thanks to your part number i searched and found those images and i think i've found the right part number - 1K0 035 507 J

1206519d1392014476-vw-polo-diy-installin

• Like 1

Is your car the SE in your picture? Let me know how you go on with getting the original aerial off/out. I bought a short aerial myself but couldn't get the original aerial off, at least the 'anti theft' function worked well! Anyway, it was only after some reading that I found out I'd need to get underneath the aerial, by removing the headlining. At which point I thought it was more trouble than it was worth.

JRJG

• Like 1

That's the polo version which has an aerial that screws into it, the part i'm after looks like the photo below and is apparently an original VW item from a Golf or Jetta. I don't know if that requires an amp but i read on here that it was plug and play once the bases are swapped over. There are non-OEM versions on eBay

1206476d1392008617-vw-polo-diy-installin

1206607d1392021061-vw-polo-diy-installin

That's a GSM antenna for phone reception judging by the purple FAKRA connector. While it can be swapped to the green 'neutral' connector, or even a white FM one, but it will make no difference to the ability to receive standard FM/AM radio signals.

The Polo has its aerials in the rear windscreen.

AFAIK VAG do not do a shark fin for radio reception unless you want GSM and/or GPS and/or Webasto.

This is about as close as you can get (FM, GPS & GSM) with a stubby aerial (not as short as the Polo one I believe).

If you want a shark fin with GSM and GPS I have one in my garage - p/n: 3C0035507A

Edit: I think it might go on eBay judging by the prices they seem to be advertised for on there!!!

Edited by KBPhoto

DAMMIT! So i'll need to get the other one as shown in your link?!

Either that or just get a stubby Polo aerial and possibly the base too. That would be my preferred option as i don't have built in phone or sat-nav. Cheers for the info!

Jrjg - i've removed the standard aerial already, it just unscrewed then came out with a good yank - the base needs to be removed from behind the headlining as per the guide posted above.

ETA: I've found a 65mm aerial on eBay that has dimensions shown on the picture. It should line up perfectly with the base - my OCD hates seeing things that don't line up - that was my worry with the S2000 aerial. 

Edited by Kevin_Mc
  • Like 1

Do you want the FM base since a shark fin with just FM is not available?

If so, I've got one of those (with white FM FAKRA plug) in my garage from my Yeti if you want that. It has a whip antenna at present, but this will swap for the standard VAG stubby aerial and FM radio reception will be just as good (if not better).

What do you have at present that makes you want to swap?

I had the standard one fitted and changed it to a metal anodised bee-sting i had from my first car. It was still a little too big and ended up rubbing against the spoiler, initiating the dreaded lacquer peel, so once the spoiler has been sorted i don't want to refit it.

Is the Yeti base you have the sane as the Fabia mk1? If so I would take it as i'd like a new base as my original one is looking a bit poor.

You need to know what plug socket is on the end of the Fabia aerial loom first to make sure the right one is purchased. I fitted one to my old Fabia, I'll have a look for a part number for you.

Sorry, didn't write it down or take a picture either.

Edited by mattievrs

Thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated.

I've gone ahead and bought a standard fit stubby aerial with the correct thread from eBay so as long as my base cleans up i'm sorted.

I have a feeling it's grubby because the aluminum bee-sting was corroding against the steel in the base so with any luck it'll wipe off.

Thanks again

• Like 1

I don't know if it's the angle of the photo or the lighting in the room but it fits in exactly the same position as the standard whip aerial. I'll post a pic of it on the car when i fit it.

The base is standard, from another Fabia, i just removed it this afternoon.

• Like 1

All those tiny aerials look good but they significantly reduce radio reception, standard is that length for a reason.

I had a stubby aerial - almost useless, got a good half way house aerial and it's a lot better (still not fantastic) roughly 4 inch was £9 and it's lot better for reception and still looks good.

Shark aerials are of proper design and boosted signal from factory.

Tbh i don't listen to the radio much - i prefer CDs / iPod / music of my choosing so i wanted sonething that cleared the spoiler completely. I've not had an aerial fitted for the past two weeks and even without one i haven't struggled for signal any time i've had the radio on.

You're right though, for someone who listens to the radio a lot it might not be a great purchase but for me it does what i need it to and was cheap to boot

Is your car the SE in your picture? Let me know how you go on with getting the original aerial off/out. I bought a short aerial myself but couldn't get the original aerial off, at least the 'anti theft' function worked well! Anyway, it was only after some reading that I found out I'd need to get underneath the aerial, by removing the headlining. At which point I thought it was more trouble than it was worth.

JRJG

You don't have to remove the whole lining. When I removed my aerial I took the trip round the boot off and the rear of the lining pulls down allowing you to get a spanner in there. In all it only took 15 mins to do.

I took the base off a scrap car yesterday and it was a five minute cause i could be brutal with the trim and pull at the headlining a bit more but even at that i still put the headlining and trim back in place when i was done.

When i fit it to my car today i'll spend a bit more time, so maybe 15 - 20 mins in total. As said above, the headlining doesn't need to be pulled down much to get a 22mm spanner in