Mileage on a set of tyres.

Error with database and didn't post my text :(

I have a 2.0Tsi DSG and was curious what mileage others get on their front tyres. I got under 6000miles on first factory set now on just over 7000miles on second set. Are they normally this bad?

I got 24k in my fronts and almost 40k on rears. Although my driving is 70% motorway.

Are your tyres wearing evenly or are they wearing more on a particular edge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it is going to depend on the tyres fitted and the levels of power being transmitted.

This my experience with the TDI VRS.

Original Conti Sportcontact 2 - Fronts changed at 11K, rears at 27k

Fronts changed to Michelin Pilotsports 3 - Changed after 16k 

Now running Conti Sportcontact 5 - After 16k fronts are nearing the end of their life, rears have a longways to go.

So it depends on the rubber you are running as well

I guess it is going to depend on the tyres fitted and the levels of power being transmitted.

Now running Conti Sportcontact 5 - After 16k fronts are nearing the end of their life, rears have a longways to go.

+1 for this.

Conti SC2 is an awful tyre - my Mk2 FL came with them and I was through the front set in less than 10k. Changed them for Hankook V12 Evo and lasted around 14k, coupled with a stage 1 remap!

I've just read an article on the new Bugatti Chiron which will have approximately 1496bhp. The biggest problem they have at the moment is finding tyres that can cope with that power. The tyres they used for the Veyron are not good enough apparently!

You can't expect the standard tyres to cope with a near 100% increase in power. You've changed components in your engine to cope with this increase in power, you need to do the same with your tyres, possibly even changing the size/width of your wheels.

I believe Boss fox put a high performance engine in a Yeti, may be worth contacting him to establish what his tyre experience has been.

Tsi220, at 10k miles fronts down to 5mm, rears 6mm. Slightly more wear on the offside tyres, roundabouts the cause I think.  It's down to actor or driving and nature of driving, I do a largish percentage on motorways so less wear. Original sc2 three, they aren't a bad tyre, albeit they are a bit soft and there are better tyres about for sure.

Edited by neiln

My front sc2's lasted around 14k and I've switched to sc5's paired with the original tyres on the rear.

I am hoping for a little longer out of the fronts this time around but I've recently got a DTUK tuning box and developed a habit of driving like I stole it....

• Like 2

Judging by this thread the vRS seems to eat tyres compared with the vin ordinaire Octavia! I changed the front tyres on my 2.0TDi Elegance at 30,656 miles when they still had 4.0mm tread on them. At 49,640 miles the replacements (Michelin ) have 4.5mm tread left. I'm still on the original Dunlop rears which have 4.0mm tread remaining! I'm not a snail driver either!

It's the OE tyres that the vRS were fitted with.

Got 12k on original Contis, Good Year F1s lasting much better.

OP, did you fit Contis second time round? They are well known for wearing quickly even with a fairly 'reserved' foot...

I would like to think that they would last longer than that. It's not exactly a heavy car, nor is it really a powerful one.

Are you doing motorway style driving or town work? Town driving always wear tyres quicker than motorway (sensible) driving does.

I would suggest a harder compound type tyre but with you power I'd go for grip over wear.

I have never had more than 9000 miles out a set of fronts on my vrs's my brothers was the same. My first vrs was a mk2 tfsi, second was a mk2 facelift tsi my brothers was also a facelift tsi vrs. All got 9000 miles or less out the fronts

I would like to think that they would last longer than that. It's not exactly a heavy car, nor is it really a powerful one.

Are you doing motorway style driving or town work? Town driving always wear tyres quicker than motorway (sensible) driving does.

I would suggest a harder compound type tyre but with you power I'd go for grip over wear.

400ish horses as is a KO4 turbo'd and mapped affair...but driven in Eco most of the time.

In Eco its probably still quicker than a standard car in Sport haha

• Like 2

Jerry I'd like to know your thoughts on the difference between the PS3 & the CSC5'S.

I can get them both for around the same price.

Regards

T

My front sc2's lasted around 14k and I've switched to sc5's paired with the original tyres on the rear.

I am hoping for a little longer out of the fronts this time around but I've recently got a DTUK tuning box and developed a habit of driving like I stole it....

Yeah a tuning box will do that for you, you should try the Pedal box too, it's just becomes too Fn easy

Regards

T

• Like 1

Jerry I'd like to know your thoughts on the difference between the PS3 & the CSC5'S.

I can get them both for around the same price.

Regards

T

Not much difference on the diesel bus, although the PS3's probably have the edge. Tried the 5's as if I recall they had faired marginally better than the PS3's in the EVO tyre test. Plus they were about £15 a corner cheaper when I put them on a year ago.

Definitely an improvement over the Conti 2's that were fitted originally.

I am just coming up to 90k miles on my EleganceCR150  and have burned through 3 pairs of fronts and on my second pair of rears . OE Dunmop Sportmaxx lasted 25k on the front, as did the second pair. Rears lasted 50k. am now running Goodyear Vector 4 seasons and wear is similar