Smoke from engine bay

I just now noticed some blue ish smoke which seemed to come from the front of the engine bay, whilst I was parked with the engine idling. I think the car may have been doing a regen as the revs were at 10K.

However, there was no fan when the engine was off.

I had only driven for 5 mins and had filled up with diesel.

I switched off and looked under bonnet, but could not see anything obvious.

When I got home, I checked again and could smell exhaust fumes around the engine bay.

I gave a slight Rev, and a puff of white smoke was emitted from somewhere around the back, could not see exactly where as I was inside the car.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks

No posted video showing as yet. It does sound like the exhaust manifold at the moment though. Hopefully just the gasket and not cracked. When you sniff around the engine bay, is the strong smell of fumes coming from the back of the engine?

Yes defo back, trying to upload video, but ipad and iphone not sending file for some reason.

It seem to be coming from the area below the lamdba sensor at the back

What could cause a cracked manifold?

If the manifold is built all one piece, it would be rare. If it is two parts welded together like a previous Accord I owned, more common. It might just be where the exhaust joins the manifold, another gasket problem. Does it come into the cab when you are slowly on the move, or just when stationary? Have been in a mates VW Golf TDI with the same problem. At low speed we were choking on the fumes. Turned out to be his manifold.

Edited by roaddetective

If as it sounds it is exhaust fumes, you will poison yourself if you keep driving it. Try to get it looked at as soon as possible. By the time we got back that day in my mates car, which took about 40mins with the window open, I was feeling rough with a blinding headache. My head did not clear for 3 hrs afterwards.  

Great, I have a 2hr drive to a meeting in the morning and drive to oxford and back Tuesday

Edited by Such

Seen the video, not sure where the egr pipe is though on your car. If it is linked to the egr, you will get exhaust fumes just the same, as tech1e is correct. Maybe another member can identify the position of the egr. You could find like we did, that at speed you will get very little smell. It was only when going slowly the fumes came into the cabin.

yes when driving no fumes, but when stationary could could smell fumes.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow, and if it starts coming into cabin at speed, may need to get skoda assist to check it out

Looks more likely to be coming from the clamp. Turbo to Dpf clamp . Is it loose? Iirc 5mm Allen key. Seen a few leak there.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

where exactly is that?

Such this may help, if you take the heat sheild off ( 4 ) you should see the clamp... Paul

http://S26-0281_zpst2jdedii.png

re-exhaust pipe with diesel particle filter - Summary of components 

(Octavia II, Superb II, Yeti with engine identification characters CEGA) 

The exhaust turbocharger and the exhaust manifold are one component part; remove and install  → Chapter. 

1 -  8 Nm 

2 -  Exhaust gas pressure sensor 1 -G450- 

Caution

Risk of damage! 

t   The exhaust gas pressure sensor 1 -G450- is very sensitive and must only be removed and replaced complete with bracket and hoses. 

t   It must not touch somewhere when laying it down with the bracket. 

q    replace  → Chapter 

3 -  9 Nm 

4 -  Heat shield 

5 -  Lambda probe -G39-, 50 Nm 

q    the thread of new lambda probes must be coated with assembly paste 

q    for re-used lambda probe, only coat the thread with hot bolt paste -G 052 112 A3-; the hot bolt paste -G 052 112 A3- must not get into the slots of the probe body 

6 -  Exhaust gas temperature sender 4 -G648-, 45 Nm 

q    the thread of the new temperature sender must be coated with assembly paste 

q    coat only the thread with hot bolt paste -G 052 112 A3- for re-used temperature sender 

7 -  Gasket 

q    replace 

q    Check fitting position 

8 -  Warm-type clamp - 7 Nm 

q    replace 

9 -  Exhaust gas temperature sender 3 -G495-, 45 Nm 

q    the thread of the new temperature sender must be coated with assembly paste 

q    coat only the thread with hot bolt paste -G 052 112 A3- for re-used temperature sender 

10 -  25 Nm 

11 -  to middle part of exhaust system 

12 -  Hanger 

q    replace if damaged 

13 -  Diesel particle filter 

q    with oxidation catalytic converter and pre-exhaust pipe 

q    after replacing, the adaptation of the ash mass balance must be set to „0“ → Vehicle diagnostic tester 

q    removing and installing  → Chapter 

14 -  Support 

q    bolted to the cylinder block 

15 -  Control line, 45 Nm 

16 -  Clamp 

q    replace 

17 -  Bracket at top 

q    for diesel particle filter 

q    bolted to the cylinder head 

Gave up trying to get to work now, Skoda Assist called out, at cobham services M25.

Felt a bit strange so decided it's best to not drive, despite having windows open and recirc on.

Well one of the pipes from the dpf pressure sensor is covered in soot, but the chap could not see exactly where the leak is.

Now awaiting recovery to Beadles Maidstone.

at Beadles Maidstone, they diagnosed DPF gasket and new clamp, hopefully fitted tomorrow, total cost £111

Hope that is it sorted.

Thanks for all your help