New Golf R - Part 2

john999boy

10 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

I've no idea where you live, but if all your local roads are both "twisty & driving", maybe you don't have to many hedges & blind bends / corners , late-for-work commuters, school-buses & (other) doddery old fools getting in your way........

In this corner of Essex, all the roads are busy, the 2-lane country roads have restrictive speed limits &/or subsidence ( dry summer & clay soil = cracked & sunken tarmac...) 

& driving is necessary but not terribly pleasant. 

For us, any automatic is prefered just to cut down the workload & the DSG's can provide fun when we can find somewhere to play.

Not this time of year though, too much oncoming traffic & unlit roads = no desire to drive for fun.

I'm sure that there are "fun-roads" elsewhere in the UK, probably without hedges, above the tree line & with good sighting but too far away from here to visit.

Driving in Germany ,the Ardennes & even Luxembourg can be fun though, probably closer to home, but difficult to visit in the near future....

Oh yes, the Mk 3 Octy  & Golf 7 estate are both MQB based, but don't share the same dimensions. I've done some research for a friend & the Octy is longer & wider, with much more space inside, but narrower over the mirrors. 

SWMBO owns a Golf Wagon, & very nice it is, but my Superb is easier to park, (width over the mirrors again) & has MUCH more interior space, but it is about 400 mm longer.

If the vRS Octy was available with 280 / 300 ps, AWD, DSG & a decent quality interior I might ditch the Soop, but since VW control Skoda, I'm hanging on to the old girl.....

DC

Far north of Scotland...near the A939 & the start of the NC500...both full of "have a go drivers" cluttering them up...out of season its just the locals...on weekdays its the fastest thing know to man..delivery drivers.....& logging lorries...

early mornings on out of season weekends...dead quiet..just got to watch out for dear/sheep/pheasants...

& I know the Golf/Octavia diff..I drew up a list to compare sizes etc to get in garage....octi is 2ich longer in wheelbase all in the rear legroom....& 4inch longer o/a...than Golf estate.....just the Octavia is same dims hatch/estate...golf hatch is 1ft shorter than golf estate....

Edited by fabdavrav

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Offski said:

Sorry if posted before but i had not seen it.

Looking forward to a test drive of a CUPRA Ateca after having read reviews. Golf R seating position not suitable for me.

Would put up with one for this weekend though.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/group-tests/hot-hatch-battle-focusrs-civic-typer-m140i-rs3-golfr-amga45/

Hot hatch battle: Focus RS vs Civic Type R vs M140i vs RS 3 vs Golf R vs AMG A45

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, vrskeith said:

A bit more pep out of your GolfR mk7.5 Estate

More Pep indeed, but all that extra noise is too much  for my tender ears.............

Me likee quiet sleeper cars, don't want to be seen or heard....

DC

DC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, vrskeith said:

I've read that article & it seems to confirm that a Golf R is the senior citizens hot hatchback of choice..........

Since I am an OAP, i'm not changing my R just yet.

On a different topic, I'm trying to find a replacement for my ancient Superb 2, with the same useful toys that isn't any wider over the extended door mirrors, (2009mm), 'cos my garage doorway isn't wide enough for most modern cars. 

The current Golf is a tight fit, an Octavia Mk 3 might work, but they have dreadful spec.when compared with ancient Superb, a Leon is too cramped inside, & A4, Passats & Superbs are just too wide.   

Same problem with the Ateca, Karoq & Tiguan. 

Not sure about the new Focus, but the ST estate is probably a year away, don't want a Kuga, the Mondeo is gigantic, so right now I'm planning to keep the old girl until it dies, or I sell the house!

DC

• Like 1

Glad I sold mine again.

This is from another forum, not nice for the owner to turn up at the VW dealership to find his pride and joy stripped over night (yes it was a customers car). Wheels, disc, callipers all gone :(

Also wheels off a GTI from rear of the same dealership, bit of a claim there.

A3BA0783-B8A6-4A91-A54A-41B1DBD8B2A3.jpeg

F3513F7A-8A27-441D-8163-A1CC69817FB8.jpeg

C648330B-BC76-4AF9-87EB-2F29F5AC32D3.jpeg

2CD16E5D-D6E7-4A53-9492-D806E4185301.jpeg

Edited by Defenderben

1 hour ago, Defenderben said:

Glad I sold mine again.

This is from another forum, not nice for the owner to turn up at the VW dealership to find his pride and joy stripped over night (yes it was a customers car). Wheels, disc, callipers all gone :(

Also wheels off a GTI from rear of the same dealership, bit of a claim there.

A3BA0783-B8A6-4A91-A54A-41B1DBD8B2A3.jpeg

F3513F7A-8A27-441D-8163-A1CC69817FB8.jpeg

C648330B-BC76-4AF9-87EB-2F29F5AC32D3.jpeg

2CD16E5D-D6E7-4A53-9492-D806E4185301.jpeg

So no security gates, alarm system, CCTV.

WTF

Where was the dealership. 

Parked & Owners Risk.

I wonder if they have similar problems at, BMW or Audi or MB etc?

Edited by vrskeith

19 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

So no security gates, alarm system, CCTV

They have a security bar at night but that's only to stop vehicle access and wouldn't hinder scumbags as has evidently been proved!

JCT600.JPG