2011 Fabia TSI DSG Wheels/Tyres Question?

AjM VRS

Hello,

Recently came back to Skoda and picked up a nice 1.2 TSI DSG which is lovely.  However the standard 16" wheels have all the give and charm of driving on rims.

I am seriously considering going to 15" wheels to have the 195/55/15.  Anyone else got the 16's, have the same prob?

I hit a smallish pothole today and nearly broke my back.  Also when you look at the wheel there just does not look to be enough tyre (they are the right size 205/45/16).

Maybe I am just used to my Landrover with its comfy armchair and huge tyres!  Or maybe i'm just old...

• Like 1

I had the same setup on my 2013 monte, although I was sporting 17" rims. They were the most unforgiving combination and not comfortable at all, they did look good though. I used to look forward to putting my winters on, same size as the 15's you are considering and it was comfier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All I can say is, the latest cars, well at least VW Polo are okay with 16" wheels, I found with the 2003MY Polo that even having 15" wheels was a bit nasty, strangely now with the 2016MY Polo, changing from 215/45 16" summers to 185/55 15" winters does not change the ride! So the future does look better.

I'm still thinking of going the other way, I currently have the 15's, they do give a pretty comfy ride, but I'm going to try 16's or 17's. Most people seem to think the 16's are a good compromise between comfort and looks.

We've got 16s on ours and they can be a bit crashy but on the whole not too bad.What tyres is it running at the moment?

I have however consider 15" to improve the tyre choice. You get a much wider selection. I was thinking of doing this and fitting CrossClimates or GY EGP

We've got 16s on ours and they can be a bit crashy but on the whole not too bad.What tyres is it running at the moment?

I have however consider 15" to improve the tyre choice. You get a much wider selection. I was thinking of doing this and fitting CrossClimates or GY EGP

Still not that big of a selection with the 15's.

195 55 r15 is a tad odd.

A friends Greenline Fabia is running 195 60 r15's on the same alloys as mine. Not sure if thats standard for a Greenline (i dont think it is?) or the previous owner has fitted them because theirs more choice and maybe cheaper?

Still not that big of a selection with the 15's.

195 55 r15 is a tad odd.

A friends Greenline Fabia is running 195 60 r15's on the same alloys as mine. Not sure if thats standard for a Greenline (i dont think it is?) or the previous owner has fitted them because theirs more choice and maybe cheaper?

I just checked BC and they show a nice selection of 195/55/15 inc GY EGP, Michelin CC, Hankooks, Nokian, Nexen N'Blue etc. Better selection imo than the 205/45/16 size

I just checked BC and they show a nice selection of 195/55/15 inc GY EGP, Michelin CC, Hankooks, Nokian, Nexen N'Blue etc. Better selection imo than the 205/45/16 size

Probably a better selection, but its not the most common by a long way tbh.

The ride is nicer on the 15's though. By quite abit

• 1 month later...

Still looking to change the wheels, whilst they do look really nice, I just can't get used to the ride.  I am sure it is me as I have seen VRS Fabia's with 18" which combined with VRS suspension leads me to believe these people must live on runways..

But where I live, the roads get resurfaced every 60 years or so these wheels make no sense.  Anyone want to swap/p/x?

Still looking to change the wheels, whilst they do look really nice, I just can't get used to the ride. I am sure it is me as I have seen VRS Fabia's with 18" which combined with VRS suspension leads me to believe these people must live on runways..

But where I live, the roads get resurfaced every 60 years or so these wheels make no sense. Anyone want to swap/p/x?

Which 16's are they?

Are they the ones with 5 sets of 2 spokes? If you know whet i mean?

Hi.

I have 16" on my Fabia. It's supposed to use 205/45x16 but i think the wheel size of the Fabia always seemed too small. So i went all in at changed to oversize.

Now i have 195/55x16 CrossClimate on. They are quite a bit larger, Compared to the 195/55x15 they are allmost 5% larger, wich i the legal limit in Denmark. Now the wheel arches looks more filled out at the ride i much more comfortable. The only downside is that in the left rear footwell, there's a "hump" that is only 5mm from the tire. It can touch the tire if turning sharp right. At least when the tires are new.

If you want somthing in the middle, consider using 195/50x16 instead of 205/45x16 - They are bigger, more comfortable and looks better.

Lars.

Interesting thought.  I played with 205 50 16 as a comprimise and got a sidewall hieght of 10.25cm instead of 9.23cm with the 195 55 15.  I never liked the idea of going to 195 as it is a bit thin for a 7" wheel for me and asking to be kerbed, the ideal is 205-215.

With the 205 50 16 i only get a 3.5% increase in speedo to which is better that the 5.8% if I went 195 55 16.  Also as it is only a 7cm rolling radious increase, i am happier as I would be worried about my little engine with the 195 55 16 which is 10.3cm extra.

I think i'll give it a go, the tyres need replacing and it is cheaper than changing the wheels.

I regards to the with - 205 vs 195 - I agree. For a 7" wheel use 205 or 215 fo the best compromise. My 16" is original 6,5" so 195 fits just right. I wanted CrossClimate tires and was limited by the size options avalible in 16".

On paper a sidewall increase of 1 cm does not seem like it would make a difrerence. Mine is 12,7 higher which makes the wheel more than an inch higher. I parked next to an identical Fabia the other day, and then it became very visible. Gone is the minirature wheels and big gaps between wheel and wheelarch. Now it kind of fits as it's supposed to. Lets face it, our Fabia has never been the beautyqueen... But this helps without lowering - That's not an option in my book because it spoils the comfort.

Powervise I have no problems. The tsi 105 has plenty for a daily driver. The speedo is now spot on, and the km counter is showing less km driven than actual. (car kan drive 5% longer between service and totals 5% less milage when sold in the future) The mpg counter also shows a higer consumption, but i real life mesured on gps and what i filled in its the same as before (5% better than showed on the meter.)

Where is the downside of oversize wheels? I cant see any.

Lars

I need to consider changing from gigaro alloys. Any sort of pot hole feels like I'm off roading, doesn't sound health on the suspension sometimes.

Not sure I want to compromise on the look though, the diamond cut gigaros go beautiful.