accelerating vibration

I try to be as specific as possible so as not to complicate the lives of fellow members who have helped me so much.

The problem that has suddenly appeared as follows:

When accelerating, especially on the highway the car shakes enough especially when arriving at 3000 rpm, in 3rd and 4th gear and climbing. When I stop speed, the vibration disappears.

Besides this sometimes makes a noise like clock, clock, clokc and sometimes a very strong clock when I accelerate suddenly.

The zipper is new and the tires are newly aligned.

Any ideas. If any missing data needed for diagnosis please let me know

Thank you so much.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Trataré de ser lo más específico posible para no complicar la vida a los foreros que tanto me han ayudado.

El problema que ha aparecido de repente es el siguiente:

Al acelerar, sobre todo en autopista el carro tiembla bastante sobre todo al llegar a 3000 rpm, en 3ª y 4ª velocidad y en las subidas. Cuando dejo de acelerar, la vibración desaparece. 

Además de esto en ocasiones hace un ruido como clock,clock,clokc y a veces un clock muy fuerte cuando acelero de repente.

La cremallera es nueva y los neumáticos han sido alineados recientemente.

Alguna idea. Si necesitan algún dato que falta para el diagnóstico por favor diganmelo

Muchisimas gracias.

Sounds like a drive shaft problem. Has anything been done to the suspension recently? Almost sounds like one of the bearings off the tripoid inner joint has come off

How old are your drive shafts?

Did you replace the outer joint of a drive shaft in the past?

Do you still have the counterweight on the right drive shaft? If yes, is it attached properly?

Describe how did the noise start? Suddenly or gradually?

Is the noise present when taking a curve rapidly while accelerating in 2nd or 3rd speed?

Edited by RicardoM

If it's specific to engine revs, it is not a driveshaft problem, but an engine, clutch assembly or gearbox input side one.

Quite common for it to only happen as the engine makes max torque against a hill or in higher gears. Interested to see what "zipper" was translated from.. clutch maybe?

Interested to see what "zipper" was translated from.. clutch maybe?

That would be the steering gear. No idea why he thought that would be relevant, but we should assume at least some work has been done on the steering, maybe on suspension too. Sometimes I feel we are put deliberately to the test by people hiding things on purpose, most often because they messed up big time on a DIY job. Yeah...

Edited by RicardoM

Quite common for it to only happen as the engine makes max torque against a hill or in higher gears. Interested to see what "zipper" was translated from.. clutch maybe?

Well, my Spanish coped with the rest of the paragraph so the Spanish was "La cremallera" and Google translage gave me "zipper" for that.

That would be the steering gear.

Apologies for the O/T, but I don't see why. I believe you, but I don't see the logic unless it relates to "rack and pinion". Go ahead and try to improve my technical Spanish!

Yep, it is "rack and pinion". Your Spanish is fine.

I've thought the generic term is "steering gear".

I added something in my previous post. Hit F5.

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your participation and support

I have tried to be specific because as I have said many times I'm not mechanical.
Sorry if anyone feels that I put to the test but I'm not one to do that.

Remember please that we are not all experts or as advanced as you have knowledge.

said this step to respond to Mr. Ricardo to see if I can help.

How old are your shafts?
I do not know, the car is used and I assume have never changed by the treatment he has had the car

Did you change the outer joint of a shaft in the past?
When buying what "is told here zipper" came including shaft ends, not if it comes to that.

Still you have the counterweight on the steering wheel hub right? If so, you are it properly connected?
This counter is not where it is. If I specified I will answer it.

Describe how noise begin? Suddenly or gradually?
the noise generated from repentede overnight. to make a trip to a place of many ups. starting from that moment I started to make noise

Is the noise present when cornering quickly while accelerating in the second or third gear?

Turning curves no noise is heard. Only sometimes when I turn full guide makes a strong clonck and now every time I accelerated a softer clocnk ago. When they are very long streets and get to higher gears makes noise that I mentioned a clock, clock clock like something near and beating while turning and accelerating the car shakes especially in gear.

thank you very much again and I hope you understand my way to explain this according to my limited knowledge.

I'll post in Spanish if there is any doubt:

Gracias a todos por su participación y apoyo

He tratado de ser específico, porque como he dicho muchas veces no soy mecánico.

Lo siento si alguien siente que puse a prueba, pero yo no soy nadie para hacer esto debido a lo que comente antes. y reconozco que le he complicado la vida a algún forero por mis malas explicaciones y pido perdon and I recognize that I have complicated the lives of any member of the forum for my bad explanation. I apologize

Recuerden por favor que no todos somos expertos o tenemos conocimientos tan avanzados.

Dicho esto  paso a  responder las preguntas del  Sr. Ricardo para ver si me pueden ayudar.

¿Qué edad tienen sus ejes?

No sé, el coche se utiliza y supongo que nunca he cambiado por el tratamiento que ha tenido el coche

¿Cambió la articulación exterior de un eje en el pasado?

En la compra de lo que "se dijo aquí cremallera" vino incluyendo los extremos del eje, no si se trata de eso.

Todavía tiene el contrapeso a la derecha dirección cubo de la rueda? Si es así, usted está conectado correctamente?

Este contador no es donde está. Si he especificado voy a contestar.

Describir cómo empezar ruido? De repente o gradualmente?

el ruido generado por arrepintió durante la noche. para hacer un viaje a un lugar de muchas subidas. a partir de ese momento comenzó a hacer ruido

¿Es el ruido presente en las curvas con rapidez, mientras que la aceleración en la segunda o tercera marcha?

Volviendo curvas no se oye ningún ruido. Sólo a veces, cuando me dirijo guía completa hace una fuerte clonck y ahora cada vez que me aceleré hace clocnk más suave. Cuando son calles muy largas y llegar a marchas más altas que hace ruido que he mencionado un reloj, reloj de reloj como algo cercano y golpeo al girar y acelerar el coche sacude todo en marcha.

muchas gracias de nuevo y espero que entiendas mi manera de explicar esto de acuerdo a mi conocimiento limitado.

To summarize your answer:

You have changed the steering gear and the inner tie rods then you have aligned the front wheels. That job is not related to the noise you have described. You can hear the clunking noise when driving straight or uphill and accelerating in 3rd and 4th gear. The noise started during a night drive on a winding uphill road. The noise is not present in turns. That makes me think the drive shafts are good. They usually start to knock in turns first, then on straight roads too when they are totally shot.

Below I will show you the counterweight on the right drive shaft (I am holding my hand on it). If you have it and it is fixed in the right position, I think the next thing to check is the engine and gearbox mounts. I will upload photos for them too. You need somebody else to shake the engine hard while you look at mounts.

QwVQxC5.jpg

fRghIh4.jpg

VmH2qPU.jpg

21HaV4A.jpg

eGFIU7Z.jpg

thanks for your kind explanation and photos. They help a lot.

morning up out pictures and put them in dropbox as I can in the forum.

I can ensure that the engine mounts are pretty bad.

Yeah, I recommend changing all engine mounts. The water pump mount is a disaster, the gearbox mount is faulty too. The bushins of middle mount are faulty too because they have been stressed after the water pump mount collapsed.

2QClvCN.jpg

IkMDQ5f.jpg

Unrelated to main topic title, repair the gearbox oil leaks.

• replace the gear shifter linkage seal
  • replace the gearbox drive shaft seals

Also check / replace drive shaft rubber boots and grease.

Thank you. I will try on Monday to buy the parts and changing. I hope selling only support the pump and not the entire pump. I will tell  that changes have on the car.

Thank you very much for your help

concerning the last pieces  mentionated by Ricardo, would be possible to send an image of spare parts

-  gear shifter linkage seal

-  gearbox drive shaft seals

- drive shaft rubber boots

Many thanks

You need a bonded rubber bush inside extractor. See photo for something similar. Do not use a hammer instead.

See the second photo for correct installation position.

==================

Es necesario un extractor interior para el cojinete. Ver foto para algo similar. No usar un martillo en vez.

Vea la segunda foto para la posición correcto de instalación.

leon-mk1-6608.png

5kiJPrp.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...