Rapid Spaceback or Fabia III Estate

I'm coming up fast on the time I can trade my Fabby Greenline in for a new car!

I've been looking at both the Rapid SE Tech Spaceback OR Fabia III SE-L Estate. Both almost identically specced (1.2tsi), Both with almost the same toys, But the Fabby is about £500-£1000 more!

I'm asking here for your opinions!? Which would you go for??

I know the Fabby is newer technology, but is it worth the extra???

I've sat in both, played with both, love the feel of both the same!!! Decisions... Decisions (first world problems)  :D

I own both a Rapid Spaceback and a Fabia II Combi (Estate).

I would choose the Fabia. More practical boot, rear seats that fold properly, more comfortable seats, higher riding and seating position, roof rails pre-fitted.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Fabia Estate (Combi) boot is over 100 litres bigger than the Spaceback boot. Fabia 3 also has some nice storage cubby spaces at the sides as well.

Edited by chrisgreen

I bet you could get a bit more discount on the Spaceback if you tried. I'll be in the same dilemma when I come to trade mine in, but the Fabia Estate looks expensive to me. I'll have to see what the driving position is like.

Fabia is newer tech, a better safer car.

Check the Ibiza, Toledo and Leon.

Back seat space in Fabia and Ibiza is cramped.

Broadspeed.com for good discounts.

How so is Fabia safer?

Euro NCAP results with the 4 test scores show this:

Fabia  overall 5*      81% 81% 69% 69%

Rapid  overall 5*      94% 80% 69% 71%

Both really good but the Rapid wins - perhaps.  The 2014 tests do differ in some aspects from the 2012 tests.

JonB is really pleased with Rapid Safety though, his whole family walked away from a major altercation with a big truck.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Being a bigger bloke I found the Spaceback that bit roomier in the front in terms of shoulder room.

The kids definitely have more room in the back of the Spaceback then they would have in the Fabia.

That aside, the Fabia 3 is a fabulous looking car, and may well be better screwed together than the Rapid.

In terms of value I think the Rapid wins, but the Fabia is probably a better car if you don't need the extra space. IMHO of course.

I'd go for the Spaceback, if you don't need the extra boot space.

IMO the Spaceback is a nicer looking car, and having just driven a new Fabia I feel the ride quality is slightly better on the newest Rapids - it's really very good even on the 17s of the Sport.

As pointed out it's better value too.

• Like 2

The Spaceback confuses me, its smaller that the rapid hatch but more expensive.

Technically the Spaceback is cheaper than the hatch for the entry range model and the top model for the RRP prices.. :)

rapid%20hatch%201_zpsih4ovdik.png

rapid%20hatch_zpseuhqzcnk.png

Edited by RickTT

We had also considered both and decided on the Rapid Spaceback.

The generous rear leg room design of the Spaceback design was the decider.

You'll be happy with either. Like you wrote, first world problems. :)

Cheers

Fabia is newer tech, a better safer car.

Check the Ibiza, Toledo and Leon.

Back seat space in Fabia and Ibiza is cramped.

Broadspeed.com for good discounts.

If you think the back seat space in the Fabia and Ibiza is cramped you should try thecspace in the Phase 2 Volvo S60...model before the current one. Big body but only room for midgets in the back...very comfy midgets, mind. Everyone who has been in my Fabia III comments favourably on the rear leg room vs the previous Volvo.

Do miss the wonderful D5 engine though, but not the cost of tyres or servicing.

Rear room is really down to who needs it in your family?

If you have basketball playing teens, the Rapid wins for sure on legroom, and I think the Spaceback possibly has more headroom than the Hatch as well.

The smaller VW range, Polo, Ibiza, Fabia are cramped in comparison with their shorter wheelbase, but fine if your kids are smaller.

Edited by camelspyyder

Cheers Guys... :)

I've made up my mind (I'm being decisive for once!) I'm going for the Rapid SE Tech!

Main Reasons (from some of your suggestions above):

1, More Space in the front cabin

2, More Legroom in the rear

3, Boot not much smaller (actually it's bigger when the seats are down by 10ltr)

4, Comes with more toys as standard!

5, When specced up as I want, it's £400 cheaper!

Now watch me ummm and ahhh over the next few months, swinging back and forth between the two!! :D

• Like 1

I've made up my mind (I'm being decisive for once!) I'm going for the Rapid SE Tech!

3, Boot not much smaller (actually it's bigger when the seats are down by 10ltr)

Now watch me ummm and ahhh over the next few months, swinging back and forth between the two!! :D

Regarding leg room, i have just uploaded some photos to my new thread of the boot and rear of the SB.

I am surprised how much room there is in the back

Dont forget the Octavia SE.

The 1.2 with a good discount isnt a lot more.

Its basically a mk7 Golf so a lot more refined than the Rapid.

But potentially uncomfortable; had to get rid of my octy III after six months and replace it with Spaceback, as I couldn't get on with the off-set foot pedals.

However if you really want comfort get a V40, nearly new high spec models can be had for Skoda prices  ;)

http://www.raychapmanmotors.co.uk/used/volvo/v40/d2-se-nav-driver-support-pack-17-alloys/malton/north-yorkshire/16767757

TP

That sounds like the start of a slippery slope! An Octavia isn't much more than a Rapid, a Superb isn't much more than an Octavia, an A6 isn't much more than a Superb... I assume this is how people end up buying Bentley Continentals! ;)

But potentially uncomfortable; had to get rid of my octy III after six months and replace it with Spaceback, as I couldn't get on with the off-set foot pedals.

Serious question - how does the Octavia compare to the Rapid in terms of driver leg room? Apart from one or two rattles, (for which the Octavia doesn't appear to be any better) I'm pleased with my Rapid. My only real gripe is that it could do with more driver leg room. I'm 6'4'' and wondered if the Octavia is any better? I don't like the sound of the offset pedals though. :(

• Like 1

I'm short but having driven both the rapid (owned two now - I'd say they're very safe!!!) and had octavias (new shape) whilst the white rapid one was being replaced/written off. I'd say the new octavia is obviously larger but the previous generation is I'd say its smaller.

The Octy III has more seat movement forward and backwards but had far less space for your feet and I felt the seating, even with the height adjuster, in the Octy was a little low for my liking.

Also prefer the sport seat in the Spaceback over the fairly hard bolstered affair in our MY14 SE Octy but neither are ideal for really long runs that I have done in the past, i.e. over 900 miles in a day.

TP