OK, I surrender! How do I replace the side-light bulbs in my car?

OK, I surrender! How do I replace the side-light bulbs in my car?

It's a face-lifted Skoda Octavia 2.0PD Laurin+Klement with the wrap-around factory-fit xenon headlamps with W5W side-lights.

The manual recommends dealer only.  I must confess to have popped out the unit myself, but given that the W5W is right a the very top of the unit, I can't see any rear entry hatch to gain access to the bulb :(

Help.

Not sure if xenon headlight casing is the same as the halogen ones on the FL vrs (sidelights disconnected by factory as drl double as sidelights, but bulbs still there)

On my vrs the 501 bulb is attached to a long piece of plastic that will allow you to pull the bulb out. I will try get a pic when I get in from work.

It may be different on the xenon headlight though.

• Like 1

The sidelight is in the same position on the non-vRS headlight, whether they are xenon or not.

You really need to fully remove the headlight to gain the best access. The process detailed here is for the earlier pre-facelift model but the process is the same for your FL...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/64315-howto-new-octavia-headlight-bulb-change/

• Like 1

Not sure if xenon headlight casing is the same as the halogen ones on the FL vrs (sidelights disconnected by factory as drl double as sidelights, but bulbs still there)

On my vrs the 501 bulb is attached to a long piece of plastic that will allow you to pull the bulb out. I will try get a pic when I get in from work.

It may be different on the xenon headlight though.

Ah that is interesting, but alas the sidelight are wired in on my L+K. Hence the blooming annoying dash warning light being on in its place! ;)

Thanks though. I wonder whether they can programme the car to not use then in preference and also not worry about the blown one?

The vRS is unique in that it has LED DRL's that also perform the role of sidelights, hence the standard sidelights in the headlight are redundant.

You need the sidelights as they are wired up to work on the non-vRS models.

Once you get the headlight out and on the kitchen table it is far, far easier.

• Like 1

Be glad it's not an effin Audi with adaptive xenon's.

You have to take the effin bumper off first :swear: ..................Beautifully built though............ :)

• Like 1

The vRS is unique in that it has LED DRL's that also perform the role of sidelights, hence the standard sidelights in the headlight are redundant.

You need the sidelights as they are wired up to work on the non-vRS models.

Once you get the headlight out and on the kitchen table it is far, far easier.

Excellent, but I still can't see where one gains access to the bulb, as they are completely enclosed to their rear of the side light bulb, certainly. There is no direct access port to the rear. I was I'd photographed it last night, but it was to dark. Darn winterness!

The back of your xenon  headlight will look like this...

FL%20Xenon%20Headlight%20Rear_zps3svtbjf

As above, you will first need to remove the ballast. It is held in place by the small plastic tabs you can see here in the top left of this picture...

FL%20Xenon%20Headlight%20Ballast_zpsrl5u

The bulb holder for the W5W side light bulb is accessed through the same hole as the dipped headlight xenon bulb which is hidden by the ballast.

You can see the distance between the dipped headlight projector lens and the blue side light bulb here...

FL%20Xenon%20Headlight%20Front_zps93ng8i

Then it is a case of referring to the owners manual in the glovebox to see where inside the access hole the sidelight bulb holder is located...

FL%20Headlight%20Instructions_zpsbf7zqb5

As above, you will first need to remove the ballast. It is held in place by the small plastic tabs you can see here in the top left of this picture...

The bulb holder for the W5W side light bulb is accessed through the same hole as the dipped headlight xenon bulb which is hidden by the ballast.

You can see the distance between the dipped headlight projector lens and the blue side light bulb here...

Then it is a case of referring to the owners manual in the glovebox to see where inside the access hole the sidelight bulb holder is located...

Oh my word that is perfect. I'll consider my options, but I note know why I love this website and Skoda's.

Thank you :)

• Like 1

The sidelight is in the same position on the non-vRS headlight, whether they are xenon or not.

You really need to fully remove the headlight to gain the best access. The process detailed here is for the earlier pre-facelift model but the process is the same for your FL...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/64315-howto-new-octavia-headlight-bulb-change/

I will have another look at mine later. When I changed my headlight bulbs there was definitely a long black peice of plastic with the 501 bulb on the end (but the bulb is redundant)

I do have halogens not xenons so must be slightly different due to ballasts needed for the xenon bulb.

Edited by Jojo1985g

I have pics taken just need to find out how to upload them.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Use the 'More Reply Options' button instead of 'Post' button, and then choose attach files / browse, for the pics to include

Once you have them on your computer, obviously.

If I can do it then you can do it, Lol.

Hello,

I have to give Lister Skoda Coventry a gold-star for replacing the defective bulb.

Proper customer service.

Now then, VirginMedia, you're next but I'd imagine that you'll not be as customer friendly!

Sorry seen this post too late, when you remove the rubber weather seal/grommet from behind the headlight, then you will see an extended plastic 'stick' just top right of headlight bulb holder, for easier removal take out headlight bulb, then just grip that plastic stick and pull straight out.. It's an extension to the side-light for easy removal...

• Like 1

Ardle, I think the problem was the OP has xenon's rather than halogen lights so instead of a rubber cover there is a plastic panel with the ballast on.

This panel has four clips that need undoing and then it should come off. It'll still be attached to the headlight by its wiring but should give access to the sidelight. A pair of needle nose pliers might help here to grab the holder for the sidelight.

Similar story for the main beam, that's under the light control module but only has a single clip.

Definatly worth removing the headlight and bringing it inside for better access and allowing the clips to warm up...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Could you highlight the clips, panels, etc. on the picture kindly posted above?

I can do better than that ;)

Top clips (closed/opened):

post-121621-0-68885400-1455696789_thumb.jpgpost-121621-0-10374200-1455696796_thumb.jpg

Bottom clips (closed/opened):

post-121621-0-88867800-1455696803_thumb.jpgpost-121621-0-73934800-1455696810_thumb.jpg

Panel removed:

post-121621-0-81619400-1455696816_thumb.jpg

If you ever need to do the main beam, the clip is here:

post-121621-0-62572700-1455696823_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I can do better than that ;)

Top clips (closed/opened):

attachicon.giftopclips.jpgattachicon.giftopclipsopen.jpg

Bottom clips (closed/opened):

attachicon.gifbottomclips.jpgattachicon.gifbottomclipsopen.jpg

Panel removed:

attachicon.gifdone.jpg