Led interior lights

Hi guys,

I have looked on the forum and can't really find the answers based on some of the interior lights in my car or a guide.

Looking to swap interior,glove box and boot lights to led

Looked at the front interior and rear interior lights and wondered how to access the bulbs?

Front -

4c000be41612e114c98b47a73f4f6ff6.jpg

Rear (panoramic roof) -

4bbabdadbfc3e7de23d5693b6d762c7a.jpg

Glove box and trunk seem fairly straight forward.

Presume all bulbs are led 501's

Thanks for your help as always! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the front it's the panel which has the submarine lights in it that comes off. Just slowly work a thin blade in between the joint and it should pop out and then you can gently ease the rest loose. I did it to resolve an ill fitting interior light switch on my brand new VRS. Came off and went back on easy enough. Haven't tried the others.

• 3 weeks later...

So I ordered exactly the same LED's, no problems with the install bar orientation http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301178001533?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.  The LEDs need to be the right way round to come on.

Front and rear plastic surrounds came off easy enough with a Tesco Club Card wizzed round the inside.....

So, the question is, did you fit them all the right way round? are they central within the Socket? my suspicion would be one of the LED's when placing the surround back round has shorted out causing the issues you now see.

Pop the surround off, check the LED's then test.  Place surround on after, test again...

All interior lights are not monitored by the Canbus as stated in the thread link above so when you change over the LED bulbs it's best to check that they work before proceeding to change the rest, one by one! As said in the previous post, make sure you have installed them correctly & that you might need to adjust the little pins, but be careful because you can cause more harm than good & cause issues with your BCM module, which is something you won't want!!

I have these for my interior lights

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/321633223550?_trkparms=ao=1&asc=20140813110652&meid=09987a59ebf14f48a6fb441dc349d2d8&pid=100275&&_trksid=p2060778.c100275.m3474&_mwBanner=1

But either way if you read every page In the thread link above in my previous post, it will explaining everything to you & hoping you just didn't buy the first bulbs that you see stated in that post

Ok, need some serious help now! I've put all the bulbs back to standard but when the engine is running and I put the interior light on the attached video keeps happening! The front interior lights make like a buzzing sound? Also when I'm driving I get the boot warning beeping noise with the attached video? HELPPPPPPhttps://vimeo.com/154495915

The only thing I can suggest is PM andyvee, he will be able to help you out or maybe point you in the right direction as to what can be done etc...in fairness it don't look good :( but let's hope it's a easy fix for you

Alright guys, looks like I've got to the bottom of the issue!

Looks like a blew a diode on one of the boot lights (sparked slightly when I put the bulb in)

The diode is one directional and I think with it blown it was sending the signal back!

Ordered a new boot light fixture but without the bulb in - no issues :)

• Like 2

Alright guys, looks like I've got to the bottom of the issue!

Looks like a blew a diode on one of the boot lights (sparked slightly when I put the bulb in)

The diode is one directional and I think with it blown it was sending the signal back!

Ordered a new boot light fixture but without the bulb in - no issues :)

Glad to hear you have got to the bottom of this hopefully! Just a tip when changing bulbs over, it's best to disconnect the wires/plug feeding the bulb housing, then put the new LED bulb in & reconnect the wire/plug backup, if the LED bulb don't light-up, then repeat the same process but turn the LED bulb the other way round :) hope all is now ok for you mate

Glad to hear you have got to the bottom of this hopefully! Just a tip when changing bulbs over, it's best to disconnect the wires/plug feeding the bulb housing, then put the new LED bulb in & reconnect the wire/plug backup, if the LED bulb don't light-up, then repeat the same process but turn the LED bulb the other way round :) hope all is now ok for you mate

Yes this ^^ :)

• 2 years later...

Rather than make a new thread, I thought it’d be easier to bring this one back from the dead. I have got fully working LED’s in the front light console, but now when I open the doors or unlock the car, none of the lights in the back work. They work when the buttons are pressed and the incandescent bulbs are reinstalled, but even then, they don’t work when the door is opened. Can anyone tell me which light module it is on the 09 Central Electrics module that controls the rear interior lights please? Then I can plug in and have a look there. Thanks :)

Never mind, think something bad has happened! When the car is locked with the interior lights left on, they flash every so often and the boot open graphic flashes up on the MFD. I take it that this, connected to the rear light issue is a bad sign that something is wrong? I just hope the BCM is ok tbh as I’m now very worried. All the difficult mods I’ve done to cars and I seem to mess up a simple LED install!!! 

• 1 year later...
On 07/02/2016 at 18:12, willovrs said:

Ok, need some serious help now! I've put all the bulbs back to standard but when the engine is running and I put the interior light on the attached video keeps happening! The front interior lights make like a buzzing sound? Also when I'm driving I get the boot warning beeping noise with the attached video? HELPPPPPPhttps://vimeo.com/154495915

Hi willovrs, 

I know this is an old post but I seem to be having this exact same issue. How do I know what needs replacing? 

2 hours ago, RoachyVRS said:

Hi willovrs, 

I know this is an old post but I seem to be having this exact same issue. How do I know what needs replacing? 

Hi,

from memory it was a blown light fixture in the boot. You will need to remove each light fixture one at a time to find out which one it is mate 

thanks

31 minutes ago, willovrs said:

Hi,

from memory it was a blown light fixture in the boot. You will need to remove each light fixture one at a time to find out which one it is mate 

thanks

Thanks bud, yes had a play around today and its the left one which has gone.  Thank god I found this forum! Cheers