Media Player File Formats & ID Tags

Citigopher

Not sure I understand how ripping audio CD's to mp3's in WMP can result in DRM'd tracks?

You can choose to apply/maintain copy protection if you rip to .wma.

That's definitely where I'd go looking - the 'Settings' panels in Windows Media Player - if that's what you're using to convert your CD's to MP3 or WMA. Get into 'Library' view by clicking on the icon that's got 3 little squares and a small arrow, all grouped together, then click the small down arrow next to 'Organize', then 'Options...' at the bottom of the drop-down menu. Click on the 'Rip Music' tab in the Options window, select the Format type you want to use in the 'Rip settings' section and make sure that 'Copy protect music' is unchecked. I'm not sure if that would affect playback of ripped files, but it's the only setting I can see that may make a difference.

DRM  = Digital Rights Management. It's a system that protects media from being copied (or a copy being played) if the artist or their management company so chooses.

Edited by Citigopher

That's definitely where I'd go looking - the 'Settings' panels in Windows Media Player - if that's what you're using to convert your CD's to MP3 or WMA. ...

Indeed. All I was saying was that ripping my CD's does NOT copy protect the resultant files, which read/play fine in the car. So I couldn't understand how it worked differently for others, unless they were choosing that option.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found a way to get the dynamic album display (I discovered on the web that it's called Coverflow) as shown in Urrels' image, post #2 of this thread, to order the albums so that they are displayed in artist order, not album name order? I was treated to a real mess on a trip home the other day. I'd put some new albums on to the SD card, selected Escape (by Journey). Album art comes up fine, first track plays as one would expect. Then, Enrique Iglesias gaterashes the party. Wtf? Look at the screen - the album has changed to Escape, by The Spanish One. On it goes, alternating between Journey and Enrique, Track 2 followed by 2, 3 by 3 etc. I couldn't find a way to stop it doing this!

It also makes finding music by a particular artist a real bind. I like the coverflow idea because it's a lot less distracting to navigate when I'm driving, but the implementation is rubbish. In so many ways, the PID in our Citigo is a better sorted Satnav, phone kit and media player than the Amundsen. It's in the right place (high up on the dash, in line of sight), it reads texts and dials contacts simply and it re-routes on the fly without hassle, asking you questions at the right time. Nowhere near as glossy as the Amundsen in its presentation, but under the skin the PID spanks it.

Edited by Citigopher

I've noticed by playing around with the id3 tagging using MP3tag that the folder structure and names that you see in the Windows environment (can't comment on what Mac lovers see I'm afraid) has little or nothing to do with what the Amundsen reads and displays on the Yetis screen. It is solely interested in reading the ID3 tags. However, I can sort the tracks in my ripped music folder in just about anyway I like when viewing them in MP3tag on my PC, but that doesn't appear to affect the way the tags are written when I transfer stuff to the SD card.

Can I ask in what order are the albums displayed in your Yeti?

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found a way to get the dynamic album display (I discovered on the web that it's called Coverflow) as shown in Urrels' image, post #2 of this thread, to order the albums so that they are displayed in artist order, not album name order? I was treated to a real mess on a trip home the other day. I'd put some new albums on to the SD card, selected Escape (by Journey). Album art comes up fine, first track plays as one would expect. Then, Enrique Iglesias gaterashes the party. Wtf? Look at the screen - the album has changed to Escape, by The Spanish One. On it goes, alternating between Journey and Enrique, Track 2 followed by 2, 3 by 3 etc. I couldn't find a way to stop it doing this!

It also makes finding music by a particular artist a real bind. I like the coverflow idea because it's a lot less distracting to navigate when I'm driving, but the implementation is rubbish. In so many ways, the PID in our Citigo is a better sorted Satnav, phone kit and media player than the Amundsen. It's in the right place (high up on the dash, in line of sight), it reads texts and dials contacts simply and it re-routes on the fly without hassle, asking you questions at the right time. Nowhere near as glossy as the Amundsen in its presentation, but under the skin the PID spanks it.

I'm having the same problem, I wish there was a way to have all albums from one artist shown one after the other, eg, Bowie then all his albums, at the moment I have Aladdin Sane, followed by Annie Lennox, then Hunky dory comes later etc., pain in the butt, Anyone managed to sort it out yet?

There does not seem to be a way with the Amundsen, as it does not allow for a multi folder structure.  i.e., artist folder that contains a number of sub folders for the various albums.  Whilst I quite like some of the features of the Amundsen it does seem to be a chunky operating system that has been added too over the years rather than redeveloped from the ground up.

(I've posted elsewhere on here the issues I'm having loading multiple POI's similar issue I'm thinking the web sire instructions say one thing the Amundsen gives you other options neither work.)

We tend to use the Selection/Folder view in the Bolero more than the artwork method. It lists the content by artist, and caters for sub-folders. 

As did my Columbus in the last yeti.

• 2 years later...

I used Windows Media player, set up to rip automatically and save as MP3,

then Sync to my SD card as G-Drive and download takes seconds. A one stop job.

47 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

I used Windows Media player, set up to rip automatically and save as MP3,

then Sync to my SD card as G-Drive and download takes seconds. A one stop job.

Ha, that’s what I do (I think).  It so easy my incompetence is no problem at all.