Tinting headlights yellow... Legal or not?

Right, I was considering having my headlights tinted yellow.. Either fluorescent or just standard yellow but the big question is.. Is it legal? I have read on the net conflicting answers, yes it is, no it isn't, has to be the right type of yellow... So all I want to know is, if I get them tinted yellow will I be legal or not. Does anyone know for certain? Thanks.

Right, I was considering having my headlights tinted yellow.. Either fluorescent or just standard yellow but the big question is.. Is it legal? I have read on the net conflicting answers, yes it is, no it isn't, has to be the right type of yellow... So all I want to know is, if I get them tinted yellow will I be legal or not. Does anyone know for certain? Thanks.

Why would you want to appear like a 1980's French tourist?

• Like 4

It's the craze these days.

Either:

A. Badly installed aftermarket HID kits which appear as two massive orbs or light, with no direction - simply in the face of oncoming traffic.

B. Reducing the light output from all lights, front and rear, in an attempt to make your car as invisible as possible.

Really don't get either craze personally - the both make you an easy target for a police pull and I'd have thought the constant flashing of lights by other people telling you you've got fullbeam on / no lights on would become annoying after a while.

• Like 1

Woahhh now... I just want to stand out a little that's all. It would only be a wrap and easily removed if I found the light output was really that bad.. If it doesn't suit the car then I will take the wrap off.. And anyway, it's easier than breaking the headlight to change its appearance seeing as their is a lack of anything aftermarket to buy unless you live in a country that's left hand drive.. Haha its the craze these days.. I just want to give it a go and the badly fitted HID's will be next ;)

Edited by MrTacoSWFC

Rather than tinting the light casing itself have you thought about changing the actual bulbs?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-bulbs/halfords-all-weather-upgrade-bulb-headlight-pack-477-x-2

Might be cheaper than tints (never looked into prices) but the bulbs are £20 from halfords.

I already have the yellow sunglasses.. And I'm not even joking Haha.. Inherited from my dad, super retro! And the bulbs from Halfords I've already had experience with, put some in the wife car.. But I just want the look for the day time more than anything.. Think the fluorescent yellow wrap will contrast well with the white, but we shall see!

I fitted yellow fog lamps to a previous car.

The theory being that <2500k light cuts through fog better than light at the whiter end of the spectrum.

I personally wouldn't bother with dipped beam bulbs, though.

I fitted yellow fog lamps to a previous car.

The theory being that <2500k light cuts through fog better than light at the whiter end of the spectrum.

I think it is that certain light temperature's do not reflect so much as others, in fog, which enables you to see better.

That is also why fog lights are placed lower than other lighting, for less reflection off the fog.

If that is what you meant by "cuts through fog better", fair enough. :thumbup: