9 month old VRS - EML and Glow plug arrrghhh

:sweat:

2015 VRS 2.0, bought April last year,

Driving home tonight I got the flashing glow plug, limp mode, so been the owner of a Mondeo ST where the EGR valve killed me, this wasn't new!!!

I restarted the car, got 5 clear minutes and the same again. Then another 20 minutes later I got the engine management light!! :(

Where would lads start with this? Dealer where I bought it is 3 hours away, I had a 30,000 km service last week, there is a dealer 10 minutes away. I drive every day for over 3 hours to and from work so I am BADLY stuck.

Advice appreciated. 

I'm BADLY p(ssed off.

I'd take it to your nearest dealer (that you trust/has good reviews) and ask them to sort it under warranty. Also they should provide a hire vehicle FOC whilst yours is being done. (With your daily journey too, i'd insist they gave you a similar engine'd on, so as not to cost you more in fuel.)

I assume they didn't mention anything when it was serviced?

I'd take it to your nearest dealer (that you trust/has good reviews) and ask them to sort it under warranty. Also they should provide a hire vehicle FOC whilst yours is being done. (With your daily journey too, i'd insist they gave you a similar engine'd on, so as not to cost you more in fuel.)

I assume they didn't mention anything when it was serviced?

Okay thanks.

I'm going to do that.

Many thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I would also take it to a dealer however i would check to see if glowplugs are classed as consumables as they my try and stick you with the bill.

you could change it yourself if you have the right gear. basically a current clamp or a DVM. just look at the current or the resistance to the block. it should be about an ohm. they usualy fail open (IE burned out)when you do it if the engines hot it makes it easier to get them out. Don't force it as if you snap them your screwed.

I would also take it to a dealer however i would check to see if glowplugs are classed as consumables as they my try and stick you with the bill.

you could change it yourself if you have the right gear. basically a current clamp or a DVM. just look at the current or the resistance to the block. it should be about an ohm. they usualy fail open (IE burned out)when you do it if the engines hot it makes it easier to get them out. Don't force it as if you snap them your screwed.

Thanks but they will not be charging me for these. Since when do glow plugs go in a 10 month old car! 

In fairness to the guys I bought the car off they got back quick with a car arranged for me. I have it dropped to the local Skoda dealer and it will be looked at on Monday.  

Thanks but they will not be charging me for these. Since when do glow plugs go in a 10 month old car!

In fairness to the guys I bought the car off they got back quick with a car arranged for me. I have it dropped to the local Skoda dealer and it will be looked at on Monday.

I am 99.9% certain that the fault has absolutely nothing to do with the glow plugs.

The coil light is a general fault indicator which could be linked to dozens or hundreds of potential faults.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Edited by trundlenut
  • Like 1

I am 99.9% certain that the fault has absolutely nothing to do with the glow plugs.

The coil light is a general fault indicator which could he linked to dozens or hundreds of potential faults.

Sorry yes there was nothing confirmed as to what it was. Mechanics dont work Saturdays. It will be interesting to see what it is. 

The coil light is a general fault indicator which could be linked to dozens or hundreds of potential faults.

Very true, this is where odb readers and and diagnostic equipment can lead you on a right merry dance, Edited by Alpha2110

The boost pressure sensor is a common fault on the TDI engine with many members having this same fault.

As others have said a flashing glow plug lamp indicates "a general fault with the engine management system".

This could be one of several hundred fault conditions so you need a OBD reader to investigate.

If the same fault is present for 3 driving cycles it may also illuminate the MIL lamp to indicate an emissions relevant fault.

If it is the boost pressure sensor, it is a quick fix & there is also now an official service bulletin for this repair so it should get correctly fixed.

Yep, Boost Pressure sensor, mine went 2 weeks ago, rang  Skoda assist, they came out within 30 minutes and confirmed it,the guy also arranged the hire car (Seat Leon SE diesel). It was at the dealers two days.

Turned out to be the exhaust sensor. 

Fair play to Dave in Sheehys in Naas, as always looks after his customers.

Also though I tip my cap to the service provided by Padraic in Monaghans in Castlebar. Looked after me very well.