DSG - how does it work/how do you use it?

Okay, this might sound stupid, and I'm sorry if this has been done to death, I did have a quick search before I posted this, but how does the DSG box actually work? 

For context, I'm looking at a 2005 octavia TDI PD sport with DSG box. The car is a way away from me so I can't go view it just yet. Anyway, I know DSG is an auto box, with the option of manual shifting, but the stick looks like a regular auto stick, and I can't see any flappy paddles in the photos. Has the seller mis-described?

Cheers all!

No he hasn't.

If you push it in Drive then push it right (may be left in your case, not sure in RHD as i've never tried in one) then you can shift between gears manually. Theres no clutch but it wont up the gear automatically like an automatic in manual mode would usually. It will stick in the gear you say unless you push the revs in dangerous territory. 

You can also push it down and you'll get a sport mode that will disable the 7th gear and you'll have a lot more torque from the gearbox and it will shift later.

Hope this helps.

Edited by lulzyboy

As said, you can leave it in drive, put it in S where it will hold each gear longer, or move the lever across to the left from D for manual mode. Then it will be up for up a gear, and down for down a gear.

Only the vRS came with paddles on the steering wheel, but it's possible to retrofit them where it will work the same as using the stick.

This will be the 6 speed gearbox, not 7.

Edited by softscoop

As said, you can leave it in drive, put it in S where it will hold each gear longer, or move the lever across to the left from D for manual mode. Then it will be up for up a gear, and down for down a gear.

Only the vRS came with paddles on the steering wheel, but it's possible to retrofit them where it will work the same as using the stick.

This will be the 6 speed gearbox, not 7.

Oh so it is actually left on RHD cars? So you can't take a LHD gearbox and use it in RHD or vice versa. Interesting.

Edited by lulzyboy

The DSG gearbox can be thought of two automated 3 speed manual gearboxes integrated into one unit. There are 2 multi plate wet clutches....a small diameter clutch for 2nd/4th/6th gear and on the same shaft a large diameter clutch for 1st/3rd/5th gear. The transmission always has the next gear preselected on the clutch that is not in use which is how it is able to change gear very fast. In fact when accelerating hard it can upshift in 8 milliseconds!

As mentioned paddles were only fitted to vrs models, but you can select manual on the stick if you want. Personally I leave it in D 95% of the time, sometimes selecting manual if I want to change down before overtaking and occasionally selecting S (sport) for long hill descents as it holds low gears for much longer.         

Oh so it is actually left on RHD cars? So you can't take a LHD gearbox and use it in RHD or vice versa. Interesting.

The difference will only be in the shifter lever.

The difference will only be in the shifter lever.

Yeah but the centre console on the newer one has cut outs specifically for it, so you'd need a RHD centre console and then your handbreak wouldnt fit. Strange but it makes sense since pulling it towards me would feel very weird.

the dsg is essentially a manual gearbox with an automatic "shifter"

hence u need to drive a dsg like u would a manual, i.e. u can't drive it like an 'on....off' switch!!

Yeah but the centre console on the newer one has cut outs specifically for it, so you'd need a RHD centre console and then your handbreak wouldnt fit. Strange but it makes sense since pulling it towards me would feel very weird.

i have a RHD -  i push the gear left to get into manual mode, and my handbrake is on the right half of the centre console.....i.e. next to driver's seat.

the dsg is essentially a manual gearbox with an automatic "shifter"

hence u need to drive a dsg like u would a manual, i.e. u can't drive it like an 'on....off' switch!!

i have a RHD -  i push the gear left to get into manual mode, and my handbrake is on the right half of the centre console.....i.e. next to driver's seat.

While I'd push right to get into manual mode and my handbrake is on the left. 

Also when looking at buying a 6 speed DSG make sure it's had the oil and filter changes every 40k miles.

I'd never want to go back to manual after the DSG. We tried it on a whim after looking for Fabias and saw the Octavia. Loved it.

Also bear in mind that a Scout Octavia is also fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) which can be troublesome on a PD engine especially if you do just short journeys.

The Scout does get a bigger fuel tank though (60 litre vs 55).

Yuh once in Drive you push the stick away from you to put it in manual. Pull it towards to put it back in full auto.

These things are smart and work brilliantly - if you look in more premium cars these days they nearly always come with this sort of transmission. 

Also in manual mode the gearbox will change down the gears as you slow down.

It will change up the gears at the red line up to 4th gear then won't change up anymore unless you do it manually.

I guess a picture of the gearstick demonstrates the point perfectly:

oct_7dsg_s.jpg