DAB Radio Option - worth it? Should be standard!?

jbreedon

Got DAB in the Yeti and Superb, when you have a good signal it is well worth it (it automatically goes onto FM if you lose the DAB signal)

As for ‘it should be standard’... it is, you just need to pick the correct trim level, just like Xenons, leather etc.

As for ‘it should be standard’... it is, you just need to pick the correct trim level, just like Xenons, leather etc.

Only standard on L&K.

Only standard on L&K.

Correct!

Like I said it is available as std.

Personally when I buy a new car I pick all the options I want then see what trim level they are std on. 

Re BA's reply to my previous post - can only say what we find and in my Golf the DAB in West Central Scotland was very poor. I have it at home and it's ok but I wouldn't pay for it as an extra.

It's the same in Argyll - some signal in some places, but none at home or on the roads between towns. Also when you can get a signal there are few programmes other than the standard UK BBC offerings - no local radio and crazily no Radio Scotland! And no 3G so internet radio is hopeless.   We can get LW often here, and FM signals from Northern Ireland.

I have it at home, and also in my Yeti. The sound quality is much better than FM. That said, we do use DAB+ over here in Australia. For my day to day commute, I'd say it works quite well.

That said, if you can't get reliable reception where you're at then perhaps it's not worth it. See if you can pick up a portable DAB unit and see what the reception is like in your area? I've had a portable DAB+ unit (battery operated) for quite a number of years.

I don't have a DAB radio but my mum had one at home which worked OK but then broke. I got her a new DAB+ radio and the reception is amazing. Used in the same place at home she gets loads more stations and the sound quality is much better too. Just my two pennyworth!!

Didn't know one could fix an external hardware problem with an internal software update...

Of course you cannot but who said it was caused by a hardware problem?

I spec DAB as an option, as the stations I like to listen too are on DAB, works great when I can get a signal, but does drop out from time to time.

Should it be standard, perhaps but as there is no date set for FM being turned off, seems little point in making standard as would alone increase the base cost, so best to have as an option.

Should it be standard, perhaps but as there is no date set for FM being turned off, seems little point in making standard as would alone increase the base cost, so best to have as an option.

The changeover to DAB should have been last year if I remember right.

I wonder what the cost to manufactures would be if all were fitting it as standard?