CarPlay

Thought it might be worth starting a thread on this as I think there's a lot to discuss!

Firstly I found it quite tricky setting up - the car kept forgetting about my iPhone and I'm wondering if USB and Bluetooth might have been squabbling... Still not quite got it set up. Might have to go out later and have words...

I would like to use Siri if poss. 

Also, the satnav of the Skoda doesn't seem as good as the iPhone one (never thought I'd say that!!)

Edited by thewinelake

Firstly I found it quite tricky setting up - the car kept forgetting about my iPhone and I'm wondering if USB and Bluetooth might have been squabbling... Still not quite got it set up. Might have to go out later and have words...

It's not a problem I've encountered. Are you using the lead supplied with the phone? I've found them to be quite flimsy and can become problematic. Investing in a good quality braided lead might resolve it.

Bluetooth is automatically disconnected when CarPlay is active.

I would like to use Siri if poss.

Bottom left of the screen is the CarPlay disconnect button. Touch and hold will switch the car's Voice Control to Siri.

• Like 1

Problem

I had a 2TB USB hard drive with my 55k+ music collection on it. It worked excellently through MDI in my Superb II, but has been nothing but problematic in the Superb III.

Having only the one USB port also means having either CarPlay or the Hard Drive, but not both.

Solution

Apple have increased the iCloud Music Library limit from 25k to 100k. This means I can now dump the hard drive and have my entire music collection available through CarPlay. Bliss.

• Like 1

Carplay is excellent, but is there a quicker way to return the home screen, if you've navigated away from it, without going through the menu button?

I also like having Apple Music (never thought the subscription was worth it 'til now), and using Siri to play literally any song I can think of.

Edited by JesVRS

Bottom left? Are you taking about the physical button labelled "voice"? If I press that, Siri pops up, but id like to get the voice button on the steering wheel to do it - is that possible?

Not sure if it can be mapped to the steering wheel. I meant that if I had CarPlay on, but then navigated away from it and on to radio or nav, then to get back you need to go through the menu button... I mean okay it is only an extra 3 clicks, but y'know.

Bottom left? Are you taking about the physical button labelled "voice"? If I press that, Siri pops up, but id like to get the voice button on the steering wheel to do it - is that possible?

No, it's the unlabelled white on-screen "virtual" button. A single press exits CarPlay, a press-and-hold enables Siri over the steering wheel voice control. Press-and-hold again to return to normal vehicle voice command.

The one I marked with the yellow arrow.

post-74330-0-57397500-1454369720_thumb.jpg

Edit: Sorry, talking crap, it doesn't exit CarPlay with the single press, it returns you to the CarPlay main screen.

Edited by BillyJim

Anyone know if Amazon music on the iPhone works with CarPlay?

Currently it doesn't. I'm hoping a future update will rectify that. I can't see it being an Apple Music issue as Spotify is in competition with Apple Music and that works with CarPlay.

Ah! Mine looks like thisattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Okay, seems to vary. Looks like the screen is reversed for RHD and LHD.

Nonetheless I had a good play with it today.

Regarding Siri, you can actually forget about needing to press the white Home Button.

Instead, just use the voice command button on your steering wheel.

So long as CarPlay is active on screen: A quick press will give you normal voice command, but press and hold a second or two will give you Siri.

Edit: Just to add that all the switches on the left side of the steering wheel work in CarPlay Music in the manner you'd expect.

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

What's the benefit of Carplay?

I tried it with the demo car I had, couldn't see why is was so wonderful :|

Car had satnav & I could stream music via bluetooth or usb.

Your in-car operating system is likely to be outdated pretty soon. Carplay/Android Auto enable you to keep things up to date on your phone so you can use up to date software and not be stuck with whatever was decent when the car was released.

And from what i've heard the build in sat nav is okay but not great. Google maps or apple maps(oh god, please allow google maps on carplay..) are a lot better, more familiar and more user friendly.

Not to mention the ability to use newer apps to do whatever (spotify for music etc). Bluetooth and usb sticks/sd cards are not as versatile.

Edited by Vaim

Waze is rumoured to be coming to Android Auto. This app is great for realtime routing around traffic issues.

http://www.carplaylife.com/news/1178/

Waze is owned by Google and, as with Google Maps, the focus of development is for Google's own Android OS and Android Auto, so don't expect an Apple CarPlay compliant version of either any time soon.

Your in-car operating system is likely to be outdated pretty soon.

Not an entirely fair assumption. The old Columbus received periodic firmware updates to add new features/functions and the new MIB2 units are even easier to update.

I find the standard sat nav pretty poor in terms of usability (can't enter a postcode) and directions (poor choices and very slow to change in response to the driver going a different route).

Having said that, I may well just go with a dash mount!

Edited by thewinelake

I find the standard sat nav pretty poor in terms of usability (can't enter a postcode)

Mentioned elsewhere and to be fair it's not obvious.

Select New Destination, then tap on City.

This will bring up the screen with postcode entry.

You will need to switch from numeric to alpha keypad (as most European postcodes are purely numeric, I guess that's why it defaults to the numeric keypad).

Mentioned elsewhere and to be fair it's not obvious.

Select New Destination, then tap on City.

This will bring up the screen with postcode entry.

You will need to switch from numeric to alpha keypad (as most European postcodes are purely numeric, I guess that's why it defaults to the numeric keypad).

Indeed, but if you have the smaller 6.5" screen then it's not obvious as post code is abbreviated, but it's the bottom left icon on the keyboard screen once,you select city. If you have the 8" screen, it should be a bit more obvious as the word postcode is displayed in full. Edited by Leeboy

Mmmm, time for a video maybe. It was with the dealer salesman in the car (who himself has one) and he kind of admitted that he hadn't worked out how to do it yet. I found the ptcd button and I think I was aware of the numeric keypad bit - so I entered N11 but then couldn't do the next digit (which is a 3). Maybe I'll go and try it now!

Ah! OK, it's that the space character is only on the alpha keypad. That's a minor usability bug IMHO. UK postcodes tend to have the space between digits.

But thanks - one less objection!

Edited by thewinelake

I haven't tried it but... I wonder if the "hey Siri" iPhone feature works when the phone is plugged in / CarPlay mode.

For anyone not familiar with this feature.. on the iPhone, go: Settings > General > Siri > Allow "Hey Siri"

Solves the need to press any button to activate it..

Note only works when the plugged in / on charge.

Edited by Didorx

I haven't tried it but... I wonder if the "hey Siri" iPhone feature works when the phone is plugged in / CarPlay mode.

For anyone not familiar with this feature.. on the iPhone, go: Settings > General > Siri > Allow "Hey Siri"

Solves the need to press any button to activate it..

Note only works when the plugged in / on charge.

I just checked and it does work. That being said, I keep my phone on the passenger seat or in the middle vs putting it in the cubby with the USB port as I have a 6S+ and it's a bit cosy. Not sure the phone would pick up the audio in there (the phone mic is what's used to trigger hey Siri be everything else being piped via the car audio system.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is carplay limited like android auto to a specific number of actions?

I was hoping to use it for spotify but it has a limit built in which prevents scrolling through a long list (i.e.albums) and this renders it useless?

Edited by Sweetums