Jonboy984's black Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG Estate

Jonboy984

This is my black Skoda Octavia mk2 FL VRS TSI DSG estate:

445c3bdcb181782a883a4ce08ca1c07c.jpg

I have owned my Octavia since May 2015 and thought it was about time I started a project thread on here as there are a few things I want to do.

1) Replace the silver roof rails with black roof rails
2) Colour code the front grille surround
3) Full detail
4) Upgrade from v11 to v13 maps
5) Refurbish the alloy wheels in black or gunmetal grey
6) Dash Cam
7) GPS mount for Dash Cam

My Octavia was registered brand new as a demonstrator at the Sinclair Skoda dealership in Swansea in 2011 which will explain its amazing level of spec. The vehicle was purchased from Sinclair Skoda by rap1 on here in 2011 and sold to a7788 on here in 2013 and then to me in 2015. I love the car and intend to keep it for as long as possible.

Having read all of the previous posts by rap1 and a7788, it is clear that my Octavia has been loved and cherished in its short life and wanted for nothing.

Some more pics shamelessly stolen from a7788's for sale thread:

a9bf9fe665955886c7a860c59ee70802.jpg

41a499dacb7f7ae6ef4ad78ead24d337.jpg

a80261050ae686d73639ece3b9e82db4.jpg

310d53714cf912748d3c87e91f9d5c51.jpg

Edited by Jonboy984
  • Like 1

These two pics were from my holiday in France in July 2015. Not the greatest photos as they were taken with a cheap camera phone but the car did not miss a beat on a 10 day 1500 mile round trip.

dbf0d18b9071f6c4d1f5c70640939e81.jpg

Above taken in the Loire Valley.

102e863e3a54200d27acfa19b27585be.jpg

Above taken in Jard-sur-Mer.

• Like 1

Looking forward to more progress pictures. Good to see another FL.

What else is in the spec? Mine is well specced too!

Thanks Phil.

To be fair it would probably be easier to list what optional extras it doesn't have but here goes:

Off the top of my head, above and beyond standard vrs spec:

Full leather

Heated front AND rear seats

Xenon headlights

Columbus

Maxidot*

MFSW with paddles*

Front and rear parking sensors

3C8 035 730 D Bluetooth phone kit

Auto lights

Auto wipers

Auto dim rear view mirror

Auto dim door mirrors

Puddle lights

Curtain airbags

Sunset glass B pillar back

Spare wheel kit

Most importantly, Briskoda sticker in the rear window.

*Technically the MFSW and Maxidot are standard spec on the DSG!

Once described by Adamal on here as an L & K on steroids!

Picked up a cheap genuine Skoda Octavia estate dog guard from ebay.

09e475d16b5c708cb6d5c80cc364e0d2.jpg

Fitted to act more like a luggage net than anything else to make the most of the cavernous boot when we go away!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hard wired my new Nextbase 212 dash cam today, very happy with the positioning and quality for the price.

f240933f9c03e1b274e9afc009155ac4.jpg

bdbd0ce5e2aaf92efb55c047c2fca7da.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy J5 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Went in for an engine and gearbox service at All Electric Skoda in Kings Heath last week. I know that the DSG oil and filter should be changed every 40k and it was last done an 36k so I decided to get it done a little early at 73k.

Not sure if it is the placebo effect but the gearbox feels brand new again. It has always changed up and down beautifully but that change down from 2nd to 1st almost when coming to a standstill is now absolutely seamless.

My only issue when collecting my car was reviewing the service history book. Under the change oil and filter section it had been ticked 'no'. When I pointed this out it was just squiggled out and 'yes ticked'

a5d3b835e95bb3c02bb90afa7f79d91f.jpg

Now this really infuriated me. Not because I have OCD but when coming to sell the car, it will look to some like I have doctored the service history to suit. I will keep the receipt in the service book and got them to stamp the workshop entries section but still feel really annoyed.

b263b8f937a5e07a507e75516ab0a292.jpg

Is it just me?

Sent from my ZenPad 7 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

The chrome grill is certainly one of Skoda's more bizarre decisions, especially on the VRS models. My personal opinion is that chrome on a car just looks tacky. The colour coding on yours looks excellent. Did you paint it yourself? 

As for the arch gap; I think this is Skoda's biggest mistake on the VRS models. All the other performance brands in the VW group seem to sit lower. The consensus on here seems to be that Bilstein (B12?) is the way to go for full suspension replacement, and Eibach if you're only looking for springs. I just replaced my springs with a 20mm Eibach Pro Kit (and ended up replacing the shocks with OEM when I saw the old ones) and the difference in both look and ride is significant. 

Also looking forward to seeing how you get on with the wheels. I'm thinking of going for the darker chrome look myself. 

c8e9fd3602a76bc22dc3e1c3d6760e87.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great, just need to get the arch gap down a tad ;)

I agree AJ. The vRS sits ridiculously high and looks more like a 4x4 than anything else. Unfortunately the black wheels make this even more obvious!

The chrome grill is certainly one of Skoda's more bizarre decisions, especially on the VRS models. My personal opinion is that chrome on a car just looks tacky. The colour coding on yours looks excellent. Did you paint it yourself? 

As for the arch gap; I think this is Skoda's biggest mistake on the VRS models. All the other performance brands in the VW group seem to sit lower. The consensus on here seems to be that Bilstein (B12?) is the way to go for full suspension replacement, and Eibach if you're only looking for springs. I just replaced my springs with a 20mm Eibach Pro Kit (and ended up replacing the shocks with OEM when I saw the old ones) and the difference in both look and ride is significant. 

Also looking forward to seeing how you get on with the wheels. I'm thinking of going for the darker chrome look myself. 

c8e9fd3602a76bc22dc3e1c3d6760e87.jpg

A local body shop painted my grille for £75.

Your vRS looks great now it sits how it should sit.  I think I will look at my ride height after Christmas when I have a bit more money!