Superb vs Octavia

The Superb is better than the Octavia and not a lot more.

The only concern also for me, would be parking. Parking spaces seem to be getting smaller, like houses!

• Like 1

How do feel about the size of the car - for me, it seems a step up from my Octy2 and I may be unduly worrying about parking!

I moved up from Golf > Octavia > Audi A4 > Superb 2 > Superb 3

Didn't really find it a problem to be honest - you have to wary at first but you soon begin to appreciate the size / overhangs etc.

• Like 1

How do feel about the size of the car - for me, it seems a step up from my Octy2 and I may be unduly worrying about parking!

It's bigger, sure, but it's not like the Octavia is small. Going from something like a Focus size to the Superb might be a bit daunting! (I'm secretly slightly terrified about the odd occasions the wife will drive it, as she currently drives a C1!) Depending on what trim you're looking at you'll get a heap of features to help with the parking too. Assuming you don't get the S, you'll get the rear sensors and that's all I've ever had in my Octy, same for you I'd guess as you had the Elegance trim. If you go L&K you'll obviously get the Park Assist, although I'm not sure how useful that will necessarily be in practice - not sure if I'd want to rely on it to parallel park on a busy road, but time will tell! And front sensors are a fairly affordable option for other specs, but it's the rear that's the big issue, so there's the reversing camera which lots of people on here are saying is great (but I chose not to spec it, mainly due to my budget).

Ultimately, I'd say if you can park the Octavia fine, the superb shouldn't really be much more difficult I'd say. And you just get much more car for your money with the Superb.

• Like 2

...and then you sit in a Superb and can't believe that it doesn't have an Audi badge on the nose. It really is worth every penny over its smaller cousins (not dismissing them at all). I actually went to the dealer with the intention of order a manual Octavia VRS but came away with a Superb 150 DSG estate, which should give you some indication about its quality. Still want the VRS alloys though :(

Exactly what I did

I was all fired up for a VRS and then I spied a Silver Combi SE L Exec in the showroom and for the minute difference in price, especially on a personal lease, it was a no brainer.

Once I'd convinced myself to accept the fact I am now probably middle aged and refinement is now more of a priority than power and handling I did the deed and will be collecting it at 12:30 sharp tomorrow  :happy:

Edited by Captainfunbags
  • Like 3

It's bigger, sure, but it's not like the Octavia is small. Going from something like a Focus size to the Superb might be a bit daunting! (I'm secretly slightly terrified about the odd occasions the wife will drive it, as she currently drives a C1!) Depending on what trim you're looking at you'll get a heap of features to help with the parking too. Assuming you don't get the S, you'll get the rear sensors and that's all I've ever had in my Octy, same for you I'd guess as you had the Elegance trim. If you go L&K you'll obviously get the Park Assist, although I'm not sure how useful that will necessarily be in practice - not sure if I'd want to rely on it to parallel park on a busy road, but time will tell! And front sensors are a fairly affordable option for other specs, but it's the rear that's the big issue, so there's the reversing camera which lots of people on here are saying is great (but I chose not to spec it, mainly due to my budget).

Ultimately, I'd say if you can park the Octavia fine, the superb shouldn't really be much more difficult I'd say. And you just get much more car for your money with the Superb.

I think you are right - if I moved up to an Octy3 from my Octy2 I am already gaining 100mm or so anyway so I'm thinking, what the heck, might as well go the full hog! I had a look at at an Audi A3 and it just felt too small! Got used to the size of my Octy! :D  Also, as you say, for not much more, I can get a lot more car! Guess I'll just have to factor in more time for looking for a suitable sized parking space when I'm in town!

• Like 1

I thought that I wanted an Octavia VRS estate, ended up with a Superb L&K Estate. As mentioned above the interior is head and shoulders above the Octavia and on a PCP the cost difference was minimal. :D  Really pleased with my Superb. Just waiting for the Yeti to arrive for my wife :) 

I have gone from being a Toyota advocate to a Skoda Advocate in 7 months. Helped by the fact that my local dealer is really good.

I thought that I wanted an Octavia VRS estate, ended up with a Superb L&K Estate. As mentioned above the interior is head and shoulders above the Octavia and on a PCP the cost difference was minimal. :D  Really pleased with my Superb. Just waiting for the Yeti to arrive for my wife :)

I have gone from being a Toyota advocate to a Skoda Advocate in 7 months. Helped by the fact that my local dealer is really good.

Wonder how many people have done this  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting (?) statistics for new car registrations in Sweden... diesel engines in paranthesis:

Octavia January - April 2016: 1725 (1046) - 60,6% Diesel
Octavia January - April 2015: 1741 (1261) - 72,4% Diesel

Superb January - April 2016: 944 (834) - 88,3% Diesel
Superb January - April 2015: 415 (403) - 97,1% Diesel

Superb has more than doubled since last year while Octavia dominates but are very equal to last year in total numbers... Both models has increased the number of petrol engines considerably and Octavia especially!

By the way, I think the Octavia vRS petrol is popular and is the reason for the drastic decline in diesel engines. I totally agree with previous posters, thought I wanted a vRS but found the TSI 280 Superb

I also think we are seeing the end of diesel maniac trend... But who knows...

I totally agree with previous posters, thought I wanted a vRS but found the TSI 280 Superb

No matter how much I tell myself my new car's a keeper, when it reaches it's first MOT I always get the "three year itch".

With the Superb II 170 TDi the itch was compelling me to something as practical but with a bit more oomph so it was towards the (at that time) new Octavia VRs that I started looking.

As the local police driving school had obtained one I listened to the comments of one of their instructors - "Goes like stink, mate, but it doesn't hold a candle to the comfort and quality of your Superb".

So I let the itch fade and six months later Skoda announced the new Superb. Within a month I'd pre-ordered the 280 blind. Almost a year later and not for one second have I regretted that decision.

I got to keep the practicality/comfort/quality, and getting more grunt than the top VRs was a bonus.

• Like 1

By the way, I think the Octavia vRS petrol is popular and is the reason for the drastic decline in diesel engines. I totally agree with previous posters, thought I wanted a vRS but found the TSI 280 Superb

I also think we are seeing the end of diesel maniac trend... But who knows...

When the no emission zones are introduced in major cities both fuels will be under threat.

A hybrid S4......or all-electric S5 anyone?

When the no emission zones are introduced in major cities both fuels will be under threat.

A hybrid S4......or all-electric S5 anyone?

We can probably hope for at least a hybrid option on the S4, possibly even all-electric, but there will definitely still be petrol/Diesel engines too. Nowhere has enough infrastructure to support only selling electric for a good few years yet.

I'd be excited by the prospect of a hydrogen fuel cell S5, but doubt (although hope!) we'll be ready for that ...