Techie's new runabout

Tech1e

Few bits done today after work. Battery mounted in securely, washer pump swapped as it wasn’t squirting. Also cleaned up some rear axle bolts to swap over as the ones I used let it down a bit. Also replaced the engine mounting bolts with new ones and torqued them up. All little jobs but they needed doing. 

Got the new sub working too. Hardly important but it made me smile. 

05ED9A73-EB3B-436E-B2C9-C0A8ADA42CEA.jpeg

• Like 3

And a few more bits done this evening (for anyone still interested and awake). 

Front brakes on and all hydraulics pressure bled. Nice firm pedal which a good start. Rear arch liners cleaned and installed. SAI intake blocked off in the airbox as it’s no longer required. No point in SAI when there is no catalyst lol. 

F6EAC78B-672E-49C7-8AD5-12C7D8B2CE2F.jpeg

FBD63E45-6AB8-4ADC-8A3B-A640A439CA4D.jpeg

467FFBF9-F44B-420A-8190-D581C0A88629.jpeg

Edited by Tech1e
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
48 minutes ago, z1ts said:

Any update on this Ross?

Not at the moment, been busy with other peoples cars and my daily.

I have sourced another engine to rebuild and detail so it matches the rest of the car however that's an ongoing thing. This project is just a slow burner that I pick up and play with as and when I have time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lofty said:

That's an intensive engine removal Ross, with the wipers etc and brake lines all being removed!! Eek!

Wiring harness is being swapped over with one I have remade deleting all the surplus waffle. Brake pipes are all still there, bagged the ABS unit for protection although I need to swap it over for the later type which I have upstairs. Mounting brackets to be refurbished of course.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

I'm fascinated by the wiring up of these conversions, one of the things I consider myself weakest on is automotive wiring so hats off to you.

Is the engine loom a modified SEAT one, plugged into the Fabia ECU?

SEAT wiring loom and ECU. The easiest way to do it is to build the Ibiza in the Fabia shell.

On 26/11/2020 at 08:24, Lofty said:

Ahh I see, do the Fabia fixtures and fittings, by which I mean lights, locks, dash switches etc have the same style plugs as the Ibiza? Or have the lot had to be changed? I'd kind of hope being the same platform they "should" be?

Bit of a mix, some are the same, some slightly different (but easy enough to re-pin). Headlamps is a good example, exatly the same plug but some of the wires are mixed up, lord knows why.

• 2 weeks later...

Few more updates on the project...

Made some shifter cable bracket bush replacements up, still not 100% sure why, just felt like a cool thing to do.

update1.jpg.712788b6ee1e0d4224a9b2da44aee128.jpg

Originally I had this running on a hybrid Ibiza/Fabia wiring harness, but I had decided (for a few reasons) to go full Ibiza and adapt to Fabia components where required. So out comes the dash (again).

update2.jpg.a140d738ebb42c8422f39a0619a0ecc6.jpg

Crash bar out of the way, heater box out.

update3.jpg.ff4baaae4ee60b5578128bb0391e6689.jpg

Replaced the heater matrix on the Ibiza heater box, just as a precaution. 

update4.jpg.b98ca9771e9ca2b901453c9ebf850b41.jpg

Adapted the inlet an outlet with the 1.2/1/4 petrol adapter. Means you haven't got to deal with the crappy aluminium connection of the big block engines.

update5.jpg.78160912889dffe74421989fca9a3bfb.jpg

Climatronic heater box lined up.

update6.jpg.845ee1728f648d62b5cb018d1218369b.jpg

All being well dome real progress being made this weekend, depends on how bloomin cold it is.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...