Combi roof bars *nicowalker*

Well it was originally a split the cost deal but then there was a mix up and delay on the order for the bars so they absorbed the full cost.

Fair play. If you got messed about like that, free roof bars is a nice little sweetener. Especially given the cost of them! 

I'm looking towards the continent to see if they can be had any cheaper than that. I've spend a fortune on this car and haven't even driven it yet! 

Anyone got any experience on some DIY bars? I`m not going to pay £200, i plan to use them once or twice a year on trips to the tip or something, nothing serious, so e-bay or halfords is more like it....any ideas, tips, avoids or experience please? 

The version (Wingbar Edge) I have does not use a foot pack. It's the 9582 series. Roofracks co uk have them @ £224 complete. I spent ages trying to find the specific model and both of my sets are marked the same! In the end I just ordered from the folks above and the right length turned up.....which also fits my X6 just by pressing the ends in a bit further.

Fitted to the X6..

null_zps50c52dcd.jpg

The Wingbar that uses a foot pack is the 961 with the 775 foot pack at around £180.

I like these ones... would wlecome some more photos from the front..

how much room is there from the roof to underside ?  (im thinking roof box clamps) -

also

Tip - you are are thinking of buying from amazon.... use this site to compare the price trend of the URL... you know if your buying at a low point of peak then where you may want to hold off..

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

I am looking for a set too..

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

I've changed my mind and ordered the Thule Wingbar 961 http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/roof-racks/racks-load-bars/thule-wingbar-961-118-cm-_-961100 And the Thule Rapid system 775 to achor the bar to the roof rails: http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/roof-racks/load-carrier-feet/thule-rapid-system-775-_-775000

Also - amusingly - I've got a pipe tube for the roof as well. 

I'm NOT sliding 3m lengths of copper fridge pipes down the side of THOSE beige seats! 

I saw an AstraVan with one of these on it this morning so I have no doubt it'll be ok on the Superb. I just hope those Thule brackets are man enough for the job....If they aren't, I'll have to go back to an OEM set. The Wingbar + 775s will then wind up in the classified section!  :dull:

pipe_tube.jpg

Edited by dstev2000

I have earmarked these for my combi:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/roofbars/whispbar_flush_bars_1_x_s5_1_x_s6_no_prs25/Qx%40w%2C6M4gNax5vN1Yv0vegd3uHKyZdoHNj_I_%7B%7Dn0bIdIp0.Xui%7Bu7W4qCZ8Y5Mz%7B

No plans to purchase yet as it's a low priority although I have a roofbox it's unlikely to be needed anytime soon and even then only on a very rare occasion. Higher priority for me is getting a tow bar bike rack for the summer.

I did look at the OEM bars and thought they were the ugliest things I've ever seen!

I looked at the Whispbar but the 75kg load limit put me off. If you intend to keep well below that limit they look really good, especially in the aero test in the YouTube video. 

I like these ones... would wlecome some more photos from the front..

how much room is there from the roof to underside ?  (im thinking roof box clamps) -

also

Tip - you are are thinking of buying from amazon.... use this site to compare the price trend of the URL... you know if your buying at a low point of peak then where you may want to hold off..

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

I am looking for a set too..

I use them with a Thule Excellence XT box. No problem at all. Probably about an inch under the clamps but as I don't have a sunroof on the S3 that means issue there either. If I get a chance I'll put a bar on the car and take pics.

• Like 1

I use them with a Thule Excellence XT box. No problem at all. Probably about an inch under the clamps but as I don't have a sunroof on the S3 that means issue there either. If I get a chance I'll put a bar on the car and take pics.

Great - thank you

As requested: from the front, single bar positioned in the right (to me) place, low angle.....the bit sticking out to the side in the shot is the rubber coated steel strap used to clamp round the roof rail.

C3E25AC0-7420-4AA7-9C84-AF510CE80A33_zps

Slightly higher angle.....

938F5486-2430-4700-B3B4-A09224E8DFD8_zps

When fitted there is approx 30mm (1.25") clear below. The bar is approx 25mm thick and the roof box clamp sticks down 5mm when sitting on the bar so there is plenty of room. Sunroof owners will either have to not use the roof whilst the box is on, or perhaps position everything carefully.

The rear antenna fin is not affected even by the very long Thule Excellence XT box.

..........and I know I need to clean the car!

Edited by FelisBengalensis
  • Like 1

As requested: from the front, single bar positioned in the right (to me) place, low angle.....the bit sticking out to the side in the shot is the rubber coated steel strap used to clamp round the roof rail.

C3E25AC0-7420-4AA7-9C84-AF510CE80A33_zps

Slightly higher angle.....

938F5486-2430-4700-B3B4-A09224E8DFD8_zps

When fitted there is approx 30mm (1.25") clear below. The bar is approx 25mm thick and the roof box clamp sticks down 5mm when sitting on the bar so there is plenty of room. Sunroof owners will either have to not use the roof whilst the box is on, or perhaps position everything carefully.

The rear antenna fin is not affected even by the very long Thule Excellence XT box.

..........and I know I need to clean the car!

Thanks for taking the time for these photos.

Just for clarity, the ones you have fitted are the 9582 series with intergrated footpack.

ie http://www.pfjones.co.uk/thule-wingbar-edge-9582-roof-bars.html

Rather than the options offered here :- http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/thule_rapid_system_crossroad_railing_clamps_4_no_775/Qx%40w%2C6M4gNax5vN1Yv0vegd3uHKyZdoHNj_I_%7B%7Dn0bIdk8b3o%7BEB%7B8_arpF%7Ds%60HJ

Thanks

Ok.. im just thinking now with my "logical" head on....

I purchased some Halfords EXdos bars last year for my BMW E60 and a roof box, used it twice, but will need at again this summer..

So i have been thinking i may go for the footpack which will work with my current bars - ie these..  http://www.halfords.com/motoring/roof-bars-roof-boxes/roof-bars-fittings/exodus-foot-pack-fp7--pack-of-4#tab1

Yes... they are not the quietest square bars... however as i will only use them with a roof box i dont see that as a problem.. (i have ordered a towbar and have a towbar bike rack for my bikes) , so the sole purpose of my bars will be the roof box..

Also... i will never be leaving the bars.

Worth me having a think about..

Yes they are the 9582 series with an overal length of approx 115cm.

The other set I have are also 9582 series but are only 99cm overall end to end. The shorter ones are too short for the S3.

PF Jones quote 86.6cm so I am guessing that must be the short version?

I cannot find any serial/type numbers on the actual bars!! Not very helpful. :-(. Just having S/M/L would make a difference. It might be there somewhere but I have yet to find it.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I have the Thule wingbar edge in black which i brought from

Roofracks .co.uk.

I found them to be very knowledgable and very helpful.

I believe their are two sizes but I think they would be

able to advise you better.

Thule wingbar edge in my opinion are the best on the

market today.

they look great and there is very little wind noise.

Hope this has been of some help.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me the dimension between the black plastic brackets (left to right) on the wingbar type roofbars? The reason I ask is I have a massive roofbox - full width -  and on my old Volvo the U-clamps only just fitted either side between the black plastic ends of the Volvo roofbars so I need to check there is enough room on these as I much prefer them to the 'sit on top' type of bars. Can anyone measure this for me please?

Folks, Superskoda are doing the OEM 3V Superb Combi roof bars for the equivalent of around £143 plus a bit of P&P. Miles cheaper than anywhere in the UK!  :thumbup:

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-III/Superb-III-Combi-rooftop-carrier-original-Skoda-Autoas

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the oem estate roof bars have the 'T' slot for Thule bike racks to slot into? Thanks.

Sure do, under the black rubber strip. I've got a Thule bike rack installed on mine.

• Like 1