Should I just cancel my order?

Sad to see that some people are happy to point fingers at sales people even when they have absolute zero control over how long a car takes to arrive.

everyone says car sales procedures are out of the ark but then have opinions about sales people that are equally out of date!

Moving that aside, I wouldn't cancel your order now, seems a waste of all your time. The new reg is almost here, so hold out for a new reg unless they discount the car. That's all you should be bargaining over, not worrying about cancelling.

Regarding the old chestnut about "oh its delayed and that must mean its being hastily painted after being squashed flat on the ship"

In short, don't worry. any major damage will be reported. small bumps are just part and parcel of the delivery system using humans. Mistakes happen, go to any docks where cars come in and you will see a group of smart repair guys going over the new arrivals sorting anything small. If you want to avoid this go buy a bespoke car at a huge cost.

Finally, the sales guys may be lazy and below par, but they could also be acting on info given to them, which then gets switched only after they have told you about it. Ive heard of the wrong set of cars being loaded after the yard guys simply reading the wrong numbers. this only gets picked up on system once the boats arrives and they unload.

just chill, try and enjoy the handover and make sure you take your time when checking it out during handover so you know yourself that you are satisfied, if you spot anything have it written down and signed by the manager.

Hope you see it soon and enjoy it!

• Like 2

Is funny that for most a car is maybe the biggest second purchase they will make yet the customer service, false promises and experience you receive can be worse customer service in the retail market....

At least with Tesco when you order they tend to delivery it on the right day.

In my own opinion, sales staff at a dealer are too under cut there for new sales get all the focus and the after sale pre delivery service lacks.

• Like 2

Maybe you just expect to much. It seems like, from reading in here, that you all expect your dealer to call you on a weekly basis to tell you everything from the weather situation, what´s served in the canteen on the factory and if there MIGHT be any news regarding a car, that you have been told an estimated build date of.

My dealer told me, that the car would be produced in W10 - and that´s it. I MIGHT call them in W10 to ask for delivery details, but why bother them before that? I´m sure they have other things to do meanwhile. I know, also from my work, that the mindset between Scandinavia and UK is different in many areas, and that could be why I´m much more relaxed about the "silence from the stealer".

• Like 1

Is funny that for most a car is maybe the biggest second purchase they will make yet the customer service, false promises and experience you receive can be worse customer service in the retail market....

In my own opinion, sales staff at a dealer are too under cut there for new sales get all the focus and the after sale pre delivery service lacks.

How can they be false promises? What if they are told by the manufacturer that the car will take aprox 10-12 weeks. Then theres a delay with a certain part (parts come from all over the world so easy to happen) then theres a delay at the port, the truck misses the boat. Theres no space for a few days, but the driver has to return to base, so misses the slot. etc etc

I suspect the sales person is telling the truth (why lie) and its just being delayed for one of a million reasons.

• Like 1

And houses are the biggest.

Estate agents.

Nuff said.....

• Like 1

How can they be false promises? What if they are told by the manufacturer that the car will take aprox 10-12 weeks. Then theres a delay with a certain part (parts come from all over the world so easy to happen) then theres a delay at the port, the truck misses the boat. Theres no space for a few days, but the driver has to return to base, so misses the slot. etc etc

I suspect the sales person is telling the truth (why lie) and its just being delayed for one of a million reasons.

The dealer, the manufacture, the brand is a whole, you should not be advised 10-12 weeks when in reality it will be longer. its all about setting exceptions, not over promising and under delivering.

The salesperson will be telling the "truth" from their perspective, but its the false promises which the "brand" fail to deliver on, not the dealer.

Completely pointless to cancel now, should have been done months ago, if you were going to cancel.

If you were buying it, would seriously query the standard charge for delivery, they choose a cheap and slow delivery method (could stick it on a train at factory and have it through channel tunnel in under 36 hours, although wouldn't get any further than Barking unless it was on the smaller UK sized rail wagon).

If you are leasing it, not much you can do, could ask why the estimate was so far out, and get them to confirm average actuals for their September orders to see if they were misrepresenting by giving wildly inaccurate estimates. But as they have your money probably wont care about customer satisfaction so wont answer you.

The dealer, the manufacture, the brand is a whole, you should not be advised 10-12 weeks when in reality it will be longer. its all about setting exceptions, not over promising and under delivering.

The salesperson will be telling the "truth" from their perspective, but its the false promises which the "brand" fail to deliver on, not the dealer.

problem is if one sales guy gives a realistic timescale, the next wont because the customer wants it yesterday so the first thing they will say is dealer xyz said 20 weeks if you can beat that I'll buy now. So he tells them 10-12 weeks.

Same as if a manufacturer set a timescale with built in buggery time, the customer goes into the next manufacturer and they don't quote the extra buggery time and the first manufacturer looses the sale.

It happens, and the only people to actually blame are customers who want everything yesterday.

problem is if one sales guy gives a realistic timescale, the next wont because the customer wants it yesterday so the first thing they will say is dealer xyz said 20 weeks if you can beat that I'll buy now. So he tells them 10-12 weeks.

Same as if a manufacturer set a timescale with built in buggery time, the customer goes into the next manufacturer and they don't quote the extra buggery time and the first manufacturer looses the sale.

It happens, and the only people to actually blame are customers who want everything yesterday.

Not yesterday... but i ordered a Merc in March last year.. due at the dealer Aug.. then Sept... i cancelled in early Nov  after been told it would be end of Feb build date

It not acceptable it takes so long in my opinion with different dealers, countries getting priority over existing orders etc..

Edited by RickTT

Not yesterday... but i ordered a Merc in March last year.. due at the dealer Aug.. then Sept... i cancelled in early Nov  after been told it would be end of Feb build date

It not acceptable it takes so long in my opinion with different dealers, countries getting priority over existing orders etc..

now I didn't say everyone's to blame ;)

Your example is madness by the manufacturer! Theres nothing wwrong with cancelling there, practically a year to build a car!

Well, after 24 and a half weeks, the car's due delivery date is today, and I've just asked them to put everything on hold so I can have an hour or so to decide whether to cancel.

After arranging today as the delivery day last week, it transpired they should have sent me paperwork to sign and return and so that was sent to me on Monday evening and sent back to them Tuesday morning.

Since then I've heard nothing, and so I call just after 9 to see what's going on. "Give me half an hour". Nothing. I call at 11. "There's been a problem with the paperwork and it's being resent as we speak.. the car may be delivered today, maybe tomorrow - I will call you back shortly." Nothing. I call about an hour ago and when I refuse to accept a promise of a call back in half an hour, I'm told in an exasperated tone to "be patient".

I don't know what I've done to make them place such a low worth on my custom, and I'm not really the sort for melodrama, but there comes a point when you have to think, "should these people get my business?"

I'm not sure I've ever felt this indignant in my life!

I would ask to speak with the dealer principal before you sign or buy anything and explain your dissatisfaction.

Would i walk away.... well i did in November with Mercedes after ordering in March been told the car would be with me in Aug.. then Sept.. then Oct.. then Nov.. then Dec.. and finally told end of Feb, but then my car was not sat there ready (ish) ... maybe i would be getting the car but refuse to use that dealer for any servicing in the future. 

I would also make them sweat & ask to speak to someone high up. That is a terrible way to do business. You except delays, & a few screw ups but there is no excuse for not keeping you updated & an apology. They probably have a Facebook page that you can leave feedback & rate them on their website so I would be reminding them of that also. It infuriates me when companies don't call back when they say they wil...

Edited by Rebelred

So yesterday afternoon I was told the problem is with my signature  - with the implication that, after 6 months, my signature on a document sent earlier that day means I'm the one at fault. So I ask "What happens next?"

I was told she didn't know and that she would get the right person to call me this morning.

Nobody called so I've just tried them. Spoke to the same person who, before I could say anything put me through to a voicemail box.

I've just called again and asked to speak to the most senior person in the building and have been told he's in a meeting but will call me back within half an hour. I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Tangent
  • Like 1

I'd drive to the deale and have it out face to face if I were you..

+1. If you're there in person, they can't hide behind a receptionist/voicemail etc. Don't be afraid to make a scene if you have to.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk