Advice for new buyer

pge

Hi all,

New to the forum but have lurked for a while!

I am thinking about buying a 2013 Superb - a 2.0 diesel, probably a 140bhp SE (the facelifted model). Manual and non-estate car.

Are there any issues/gremlins that I should look for in particular?

I also need bluetooth. I see a lot of cars have bluetooth "prep". Is this actually bluetooth fitted and operative? Is there any way to check that bluetooth is fitted without ringing the vendor?

Finally, I'm coming from a 2008 BMW 3 series. I need a little more room and I really like the look of the Superb. Does the 140 bhp have enough "pull" as it is quite a big car?

Many thanks for all comments & advices.

Pge

Welcome along.

Generally they are pretty reliable cars so not much specific to look for, just the normal stuff you would expect.  Apparently the wiring on the twindoor can fray over time and eventually fail causing boot opening (and I think) light issues so make sure that works.

2013 facelifft should still be under Skoda warranty as the facelifts didn't come out until the middle of the year.

Which BMW are you coming from?  I have a 170 estate (for sale by the way...) which is certainly brisk enough but it does feel like quite a big car.  I think the 140 still has respectable stats but isn't going to set your trousers on fire!

Edit:  This brochure suggest bluetooth was standard on all cars...

http://www.roberteardleyskoda.co.uk/brochures/superb.pdf

Edited by goatboy
  • Like 1

Welcome along.

Generally they are pretty reliable cars so not much specific to look for, just the normal stuff you would expect.  Apparently the wiring on the twindoor can fray over time and eventually fail causing boot opening (and I think) light issues so make sure that works.

2013 facelifft should still be under Skoda warranty as the facelifts didn't come out until the middle of the year.

Which BMW are you coming from?  I have a 170 estate (for sale by the way...) which is certainly brisk enough but it does feel like quite a big car.  I think the 140 still has respectable stats but isn't going to set your trousers on fire!

Edit:  This brochure suggest bluetooth was standard on all cars...

http://www.roberteardleyskoda.co.uk/brochures/superb.pdf

That is a fine car Goatboy - but I'm looking for a hatch rather than an estate. Sorry!

I expect that you'll move that quick enough though as it is a pristine example. GLWS!

I'm currently in a 318D so bhp is similar to a 140 Superb but I expect that the Superb is considerable heavier.

Any other questions that I should ask a seller? I presume timing belt/water pump as per other VAGS (I had a GTI before the beemer but I'm getting on now!) doesn't need to be done for 60k miles or so?

Thanks again!

The timing belt is a weird one as the replacement interval seems to change with the year of the car, so check this with the dealer. Also depending on the year and model of Superb and 3 Series, the CR 140 Superb may be quicker to 100 km/h than a 318D.

• Like 1

I would go for the 170 - the extra oomph is worth it and in my experience the fuel consumption is no worse (indeed perhaps a little better) than the 140 PS model

Edited by bw10030
  • Like 3

That is a fine car Goatboy - but I'm looking for a hatch rather than an estate. Sorry!

I expect that you'll move that quick enough though as it is a pristine example. GLWS!

I'm currently in a 318D so bhp is similar to a 140 Superb but I expect that the Superb is considerable heavier.

Any other questions that I should ask a seller? I presume timing belt/water pump as per other VAGS (I had a GTI before the beemer but I'm getting on now!) doesn't need to be done for 60k miles or so?

Thanks again!

It's a surprisingly light car for its size. I was amazed to find the 1.8TSI variant I have is 1450KGs and actually lighter than the outgoing TDI Octavia Estate I had! 

I guess your 318D is a FL e90? So around 1490KG DIN weight? The 2.0TDI Superb Twindoor is around 1590KG so only 100KG more. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.

My e90 isn't as light as I thought! Interesting that the Superb might be as sharp off the mark.

Although I'd love a 170bhp, budget won't stretch so I'm looking towards something like this (hope I'm allowed to post a link?). Would be obliged for any comments.

Mind you, I'd have to drive it home to outside Dublin so I might wait until something becomes available towards the Midlands/North West!

http://www.westgatemotors.co.uk/westgate-skoda/detail/174224/used-skoda-superb-2-0-tdi-cr-140-se-5dr-grimsby/

Hi, I find the 140 fine in daily use and my estate might be a bit heavier than the twin door. A bit more oomph might be nice on the M -way, when in top gear, to pep up things but the car still pulls without need of a down change. I would say it suits the character of the car very well. :sun:  

• Like 1

My CR140 is fast enough for me, it can certainly pick up its heels when needed.

I used to have an E46 320d and the CR140 in the Superb doesn't leave me disappointed...

BMW320dSE.jpg

Bought this a few years ago and not looked back (2011 SE Twindoor, 14,000 miles)...

BXZ85602_zpsf8440eeb.jpg

Although at 91,000 miles is doesn't look as shiny as that anymore  :D

She hasn't missed a beat though.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

You mentioned SE spec. Yes there is a bit more push in a 170 but if it came down to spec levels and it was a 140 in an elegance spec or a 170 in an SE level spec I'd go for the 140. Maybe it's not a huge consideration for you but the elegance spec would be well worth it with full leather, bi-xenons, heated and memory seats etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi,

Hope I won't get slapped for posting this info.

I replaced my Skoda II for new model three weeks ago. If there is someone looking for exceptional and used Superb II I can point into right direction. I just wish this car to go into good hands. It's not my selling it now nor any of my friends but you will not find any better used Skoda superb than this.

I would wait until the diesel recall is complete before buying.

But there are a lot of very decent petrol superbs available,also go for a high spec as possible the L&K is tidy.

The superb estate would be my choice,

Thanks James - is that the Co2 issue that you refer to?

Are models being recalled across the UK/Ireland? I would assume that a 2014/2014 car under warranty could be dealt with by an Irish dealer if I was to import from UK.

Hi,

Hope I won't get slapped for posting this info.

I replaced my Skoda II for new model three weeks ago. If there is someone looking for exceptional and used Superb II I can point into right direction. I just wish this car to go into good hands. It's not my selling it now nor any of my friends but you will not find any better used Skoda superb than this.

Is is listed somewhere?

@pge yes it is. I sold to Great Yarmouth Skoda but I think someone else is not selling it. Go to Autotrader and look for 2009 Skoda superb elegance 170 bhp for £3995. Even I didn't expect that good description of the car. But it is like a tank. The mileage 179000 looks unreal for the car condition. But all is genuine. I owned it form 2010 and done most of the mileage.