New steam iron needed

Macdemon

Kitten informs me that our household iron is not very efficient and needs replacing.

Rather than go out and spend £10/£20 or £30 or more on a bog standard replacement, I'm thinking of a 'steam generator' iron that you can use to 'sanitise' and iron items 'on the hanger'.

Something like THIS................... 

http://www.idealworld.tv/pp/polti-vaporella-forever-615-pro-steam-generator-iron-plus-kalstop-363648?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=retargeting 

Has anyone got such an iron and what are your impressions of it??  Would you recommend it??

Thanks.

Last time we needed an iron we decided to spend £60-70 on just an iron. The first time my wife used it she said it's no better than the previous one.

She took it back and got one of these http://www.johnlewis.com/philips-gc8616-30-perfectcare-aqua-pressurised-steam-generator-iron/p1607357?sku=233486770&kpid=233486770&s_kenid=a6c50b43-06e6-4375-90e0-4b903e0b3622&s_kwcid=402x386664&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

It is much better to use and makes ironing much easier. It even survived being dropped in the floor off a high window sill.

Still a lot of money for an iron though.

Do you live in a hard water area? If so - be prepared to use store bought water or decalc very often.

Some models have filters which you replace instead.

Also.. yes.. expensive, but they're usually quite decent when you need to iron a lot.

Edited by bspman

We live in a hard water area but have a water softener that treats the whole house, so limescale will not be an issue :)

Thanks to you both for your replies.  :yes:

Swimbo persuaded me to get her one couple of years ago, and the normal steam iron had stayed in the cupboard since, unless it's a couple of items. Lot easier to use as it's a bit heavier and even with just the two of us ( and occasional laundry of mum from youngest), it makes for easier sessions as there's less treks to refill.

I have a steam generator iron and wouldn't go back to an ordinary one. Might be worth keeping an eye on Lidl/Aldi they regularly have them at reasonable prices

Have to agree with Aspman - once you have a steam generator you won't go back to a normal iron!

I've got this one (or similar) - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appliances/ironing/irons/philips-perfect-care-aqua-gc8616-30-steam-generator-iron-lilac-white-10021350-pdt.html 

What attracted me to this over some of the cheaper ones is that it has not got any temperature settings to worry about - perfect for anyone who just wants to get the job done with the minimum of fuss  :clap:

Steam generator iron all the way.....I bought mine in the cash and carry, I big brute of an industrial one for next to nothing...I always quick at ironing shirts (time in the military) but now its a two second job :)

Have to agree with Aspman - once you have a steam generator you won't go back to a normal iron!

I've got this one (or similar) - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appliances/ironing/irons/philips-perfect-care-aqua-gc8616-30-steam-generator-iron-lilac-white-10021350-pdt.html 

What attracted me to this over some of the cheaper ones is that it has not got any temperature settings to worry about - perfect for anyone who just wants to get the job done with the minimum of fuss  :clap:

Can you check the link please as it's saying I don't have permission to access it :(

Can you check the link please as it's saying I don't have permission to access it :(

Looks like it's the one I posted in the first reply :p

The only fault I can say is that due to its intelligent steam function it is not hot enough to apply iron on name labels for my kids clothes. However it has never come up short in ironing garments.

What's an Iron ?    :notme:

OK-Auric, I'll bite. Many,many moons ago, in a GPO station, we had a bloke, who would put his tools down and forget where he'd left them. This day, he was running round the place, looking for his(soldering )iron. Chancing on our maintenance apprentice ( who was a bit of a joker), this bloke spouted(have you seen me( meaning my)IRON).Reply (at light speed from apprentice ) was- WHY-ARE YOU ANY GOOD, AS I NEED A SHIRT  PRESSING FOR A DATE.