RNS 510 on Yeti

briwy

Just fitted an RNS 510 in our four year old Yeti.

All working OK except for the rotary volume control on the steering wheel.  When pressed the button mutes the sound so I'm not sure what is going on here.

I have been through the options on VCDS and can't find anything relevant to this.

The BT kit is also working OK

Any ideas please, no fault codes coming up.

Also, on our VW California camper the MFD has a screen called Navigation which basically shows the next turn etc.  This isn't working on the Yeti and again I can't find anything relevant in VCDS or perhaps the Yeti doesn't support it.

Thanks for any help

The RNS 510 is the Columbus head unit.

Assuming it had a Bolero or earlier, the pressing of the volume roller always mutted the sound. I suspect it activates a relay outwith the head unit shutting off the speakers.

Ref Navigation, my VW Passat (RNS510) has that feature, I suspect the older Yeti Maxidot does not support it.

Edited by DonjSZ5

There certainly is an option to say that Nav is fitted and that will then enable the Maxidot display correctly. You will probably need a bit of wiring 'adjustment' if you also want Voice Control from a MFSW.

Edit. Do you mean the compass screen or directions screen on the Maxidot?

Edited by john999boy

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I do mean the "compass" screeen.  Nav is already enabled but no "compass" screen on the Maxidot so as mentioned I'm assuming it's not available on our Yeti.

Yes pressing the roller always muted the sound and rolling altered the volume until I fitted the RNS. MIght take it to bits and see if theres' a problem with it.

I'll try the BAP as well and see if it helps.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I do mean the "compass" screeen.  Nav is already enabled but no "compass" screen on the Maxidot so as mentioned I'm assuming it's not available on our Yeti.

Yes pressing the roller always muted the sound and rolling altered the volume until I fitted the RNS. MIght take it to bits and see if theres' a problem with it.

I'll try the BAP as well and see if it helps.

If you read your post it implies pressing the roller mutes the sound...what you meant was pressing it after fitting the RNS does not mute the sound.

BAP is the way the head unit talks to the car. If you have it set incorrectly (like to DDP on a BAP car, or BAP on a DDP car) then they don't talk to each other.

Thanks rustynuts, Just tried it but makes no difference.  Only the volume control not working, everything else is OK so I'm not too bothered about it, just keep using the knob on the unit.

All the BT/phone/voice control is OK.

After changing the coding, press and hold (all at the same time) the left and right arrow buttons and the star button. So the top two buttons to the left of the cd slot, and the right hand side button to the right of the cd slot. Press and hold all three until the unit shuts down, then it'll reboot with the new settings applied.

When I had similar problems, they only went away by upgrading the Columbus to a more recent firmware version. You don't mention what version yours is, but if it is an old one try upgrading to a newer.