Water dripping out of the overflow pipe.

mikey vrs

I have water dripping out of the overflow pipe from my cold water tank thats in my loft,i went & had a look at the tank & the water level was just at the bottom of the overflow pipe so i turned the water off & ran the hot water so the cold water level went down in the tank & i adjusted the ballcock float so that it was lower down on the arm & then turned the water back on & the tank filled up to around a inch or so below the overflow pipe....job done i thought but no,this morning after a week of no problem there was a wet patch on the ground below the overflow pipe so im guessing the tanks full again,do i need to replace the ballcock/float assembly? if so is it a easy enough job to do? i did notice that if i lift up the arm the water flow does stop but there is a drip from the valve assembly,should there be one? I did wonder if the ball could have water in it as the ball was not sitting on top of the water level (there was only the top half of the ball visable) the little tank next to it which is for the central heating seems ok & is not dripping so im assuming that its just a issue with the ballcock/float valve assembly rather than a more serious issue with the heating system?

Thanks for any advice.  Mike.

It's usually a small rubber washer and a diaphram that that punctures.

You can get these for a couple of quid, but make sure it's the high pressure one designed for water tanks not toilet cisterns.

Turn the water off and then flush a the loo a few times and run a tap until the tank stops refilling (Shouldn't take long).

Undo the lid of the valve, change the diaphram (Probably with a small hole in it letting water past) put it all back together.

If you have some PTFE tape is pretty useful too to add a little bit of an extra seal up the metal threads on any connections.

Turn the water on slowly, checking the tank for leaks/escaping water and that it's filling as expected.

Job done and go check it a week later just to make sure.

• Like 1

It's usually a small rubber washer and a diaphram that that punctures.

You can get these for a couple of quid, but make sure it's the high pressure one designed for water tanks not toilet cisterns.

Turn the water off and then flush a the loo a few times and run a tap until the tank stops refilling (Shouldn't take long).

Undo the lid of the valve, change the diaphram (Probably with a small hole in it letting water past) put it all back together.

If you have some PTFE tape is pretty useful too to add a little bit of an extra seal up the metal threads on any connections.

Turn the water on slowly, checking the tank for leaks/escaping water and that it's filling as expected.

Job done and go check it a week later just to make sure.

Thank you,i will have a look tonight after work to see whats fitted in the tank as i cant fully remember,from what a remember the ball/float was attached to a arm that looked to screw onto the fitting in the tank so im guessing i will get a new unit & just unscew this from the tank fitting then set the float up etc?

Fit a new ball valve and float.,if yours is a brass type then sometimes its possible just to change via undoing the large brass nut inside the tank.

Set the new ballvalve 3 inches below the overflow connection or your tank if plastic could have a water level line inside the tank.

Shoulld be a youtube video on doing this job,find a uk video.  see  drenton33 video on youtube.

Good luck.

Check if you have plumbing insurance,sometimes they are packaged in with other policys.

Edited by james0james
  • Like 1

One of these or similar.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-prestex-float-valve-part-2/27627?kpid=27627&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Bathrooms%20and%20Kitchens-_-Shopping%20-%20Bathrooms%20and%20Kitchens&gclid=CjwKEAiAgKu2BRDu1OGw3-KXokwSJAB_Yy2QZiZVy1ifve_wOTpD2RPXbefz5FEYvR-cWIU3r6FAdhoC-zPw_wcB

Unscrew the ball from the old valve and check it fits the new one (or is that just me being paranoid?)

Anyways, that's what I have done. Though in my case it was an horrendous bassy vibration that the old valve suffered from as the seat eroded - that led to me replacing.

One of these or similar.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-prestex-float-valve-part-2/27627?kpid=27627&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Bathrooms%20and%20Kitchens-_-Shopping%20-%20Bathrooms%20and%20Kitchens&gclid=CjwKEAiAgKu2BRDu1OGw3-KXokwSJAB_Yy2QZiZVy1ifve_wOTpD2RPXbefz5FEYvR-cWIU3r6FAdhoC-zPw_wcB

Unscrew the ball from the old valve and check it fits the new one (or is that just me being paranoid?)

Anyways, that's what I have done. Though in my case it was an horrendous bassy vibration that the old valve suffered from as the seat eroded - that led to me replacing.

Nope, they can be different thread sizes. 

For the cost of a ball though, you might aswel just get a new one if you're replacing the valve. I'd never chance turning up at somebodys house with a valve, expecting the existing ball to fit. It's not worth the hassle, for what they cost. 

Your post aside... theres some really strange ways of doing things being described on here :D :D 

If you have a "Plumbing & Drains" type of cover added to your British Gas (or whoever..) annual service policy this type of repair may well be covered...?

seen the price of that? i know theres different levels of it but if you work out the annual premium, you really do have to have a catastrophic problem. 

I feel sorry for the old ladys that pay it for 'peace of mind' or 'i've had it for years and the price has slowly crept up'. BG are a robbing bunch 

Boiler cover is a waste of time too, I go to no end of customers who've had BG cover for years, then when it does break BG say the parts for the boiler are obsolete, but dont worry because they can fit a new boiler for £5k. I've come along, got the part shortly after off the shelf at my local parts supplier and its all up and working again after i've fitted it. 

I have recently taken out a "corgi home plan" cover that covers any problems with the boiler,central heating system & water pipes & includes a annual boiler service.....  :blush: i only took this out ive moved to a area where i dont know a plumber/heating engineer & i rang up some for a quote to service the boiler & it was nearly as much as a years cover for the policy,im going to read up & ring them & see if this is covered as if it is then i shouldnt have to pay anything,i came home tonight & the overflow is dry & no wet patch on the drive so i will see what happens in the morning,thanks for all the advice.  :thumbup:

I have recently taken out a "corgi home plan" cover that covers any problems with the boiler,central heating system & water pipes & includes a annual boiler service..... :blush: i only took this out ive moved to a area where i dont know a plumber/heating engineer & i rang up some for a quote to service the boiler & it was nearly as much as a years cover for the policy,im going to read up & ring them & see if this is covered as if it is then i shouldnt have to pay anything,i came home tonight & the overflow is dry & no wet patch on the drive so i will see what happens in the morning,thanks for all the advice. :thumbup:

I charge £45 for a boiler service. And a proper one, not just putting the flue gas analyser in and thats it.

That just pips under the going rate in my area really, but not by much.

I dont mind, little jobs lead to big jobs (:

Surprised Fabiam hasn't mentioned it - but whilst you have water shut off, why not fit an in line valve to the supply to the tank. ( if one's not fitted).

I charge £45 for a boiler service. And a proper one, not just putting the flue gas analyser in and thats it.

That just pips under the going rate in my area really, but not by much.

I dont mind, little jobs lead to big jobs (:

Shame your not near me,cheapest of 3 quotes was £90 for a boiler service & £50 minimum call out fee for any repair,hence why ive took out that policy,there was no sign of water coming from the overflow last night or this morning so i will have a proper look at the weekend.

Before wasting money, do what VRS Mike suggested, also check and clean around the pivot - it might just be slightly gunked up. I adjusted and cleaned mine twice over 10 years before it got bad enough to need replacing.

Bending the arm may be fine for a tempary/emergancy repair but to me seems more of a bodge than a permanent repair,if the arm snaps then im in trouble,for the cost of a new arm & float id rather do a proper fix if required. The arm & pivot are clean & the arm moves easily & the water shuts off,im sure as some others have said its a issue with the washer or diaphram.

Bending the arm may be fine for a tempary/emergancy repair but to me seems more of a bodge than a permanent repair,if the arm snaps then im in trouble,for the cost of a new arm & float id rather do a proper fix if required. The arm & pivot are clean & the arm moves easily & the water shuts off,im sure as some others have said its a issue with the washer or diaphram.

If you fit a new valve you may have to bend the arm down to get the water level correct. It is how you set the brass ones up. Once its set up though, it shouldnt need touching again

Your problem isnt the arm, youre right. Otherise itd of been dripping from day one :)

Shame your not near me,cheapest of 3 quotes was £90 for a boiler service & £50 minimum call out fee for any repair,hence why ive took out that policy,there was no sign of water coming from the overflow last night or this morning so i will have a proper look at the weekend.

Silly isnt it. There isnt too much you can do to the condensing boilers now. An hour or so of a job. Cant justify £90 for it, and im sure i wouldnt have half as many repeat customers if i charged that :D

seen the price of that? i know theres different levels of it but if you work out the annual premium, you really do have to have a catastrophic problem. 

I feel sorry for the old ladys that pay it for 'peace of mind' or 'i've had it for years and the price has slowly crept up'. BG are a robbing bunch 

Boiler cover is a waste of time too, I go to no end of customers who've had BG cover for years, then when it does break BG say the parts for the boiler are obsolete, but dont worry because they can fit a new boiler for £5k. I've come along, got the part shortly after off the shelf at my local parts supplier and its all up and working again after i've fitted it. 

No doubt that is the case sometimes...but there is an element of protection for "the old ladys" who would otherwise have to trawl through "Yellow Pages" to find a possible likely lad who will rattle the case for 5 mins, insist it needs a new flux capacitor and charge an arm and a leg for the privilege. 

No doubt that is the case sometimes...but there is an element of protection for "the old ladys" who would otherwise have to trawl through "Yellow Pages" to find a possible likely lad who will rattle the case for 5 mins, insist it needs a new flux capacitor and charge an arm and a leg for the privilege.

Well obviously i dont agree with that either.

We should all be honest and reasonable.

I quite often do quick easy jobs for free for old people foc. Stuff like putting the pressure up on a sealed system, nippin things up. Its no skin off my nose for 2 mins work. And small jobs lead to big jobs

I do know people who charge a call out for such things. And now the custoner isnt theirs anymore, theyre my customers (:

Edit: that reminds me. I heard a story of a local firm charging £130 to change a flush handle on a toilet. 2 vans outside, there for 3 hours. Wtf. So now the customer is making sure everybody knows.

She shouldnt of paid it imo. But there you go.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

^^^^ My neighbour was told he needed a new pair of basin taps (bathroom) this was from a pumber who was in the house at the time doing another job. The reason he couldn't get the top off the tap to access the washer, the tap was dripping. I said George I'll be round in a few minutes to have a look. 10 minutes later I was leaving his house having fitted him a new tap washer, job done, WTF.

Sounds like the OP just needs a new washer fitting, or if a pain to do just replace the whole valve. It is easy when you know how though, in my earlier days I trained as a plumber, so glad I did it has saved me a load over the years.

Edited by MickA
  • Like 1