Water dripping out of the overflow pipe.

mikey vrs

^^^^ My neighbour was told he needed a new pair of basin taps (bathroom) this was from a pumber who was in the house at the time doing another job. The reason he couldn't get the top off the tap to access the washer, the tap was dripping. I said George I'll be round in a few minutes to have a look. 10 minutes later I was leaving his house having fitted him a new tap washer, job done, WTF.

Sounds like the OP just needs a new washer fitting, or if a pain to do just replace the whole valve. It is easy when you know how though, in my earlier days I trained as a plumber, so glad I did it has saved me a load over the years.

Something id never do aswel. I dont even look at other people stuff whilst im in their house, let alone looking for other work. Okay if its related to the job im doing, i might suggest something would be better replaced if its on its way out, but other stuff is none of my business.

Other than a few jobs where theres things i can't ignore, being Gas Safe.

I bet it has saved a few quid yeah! I wouldnt like to say how much my close mates have saved having me about tbh. Its in the thousands just for one haha.

I might be wrong here, but just grabbing a new mains pressure ball valve assembly from Screwfix etc might not be the right way to go, certainly that one that was linked to looked suspiciously like a WC cistern one so might take a long time to replenish a cold water storage tank.

The equivalent for a storage tank will be a size bigger.

I might be wrong here, but just grabbing a new mains pressure ball valve assembly from Screwfix etc might not be the right way to go, certainly that one that was linked to looked suspiciously like a WC cistern one so might take a long time to replenish a cold water storage tank.

The equivalent for a storage tank will be a size bigger.

It looks suspiciously like the smaller one linked in the products pictured below it. :)

we had a pipe blow in the attic on Tuesday, mains pressure hot water that over filled the tank in the attic and flooded through the ceiling tripping the power in the process. We had all our system changed year before last but they had left some pipes live in the attic. Luckily I was in when it went or else it would have destroyed the house. My plumber mate has fixed it all now and removed all the pipes from the attic, it's quite dangerous really having water up there!

I haven't seen the one quesion - is this a Combi or otherwise system, and no doubt our resident heating blokes have ****ed this one. Combi- something to do with excess pressure in the system, otherwise, ???

I haven't seen the one quesion - is this a Combi or otherwise system, and no doubt our resident heating blokes have ****ed this one. Combi- something to do with excess pressure in the system, otherwise, ???

His post starts with 'water dripping out of the overflow on the cold water tank'

Combis dont have cold water tanks.

What you're thinking of is the pressure relief valve (prv) which blows off at 3 bar.

His system isnt pressurised in any way though, its open vented :).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a update,plumber came round last night & replaced the valve assembly as i asked him to as i also wanted the internal stop tap replacing as its siezed up,valve was replaced ok,stop tap cant be done as the external stop tap outside on the path is broken....  Yorkshire water coming out to replace the external stop tap next week then plumber coming back to replace the internal stop tap... :happy:

• Like 1

Just a update,plumber came round last night & replaced the valve assembly as i asked him to as i also wanted the internal stop tap replacing as its siezed up,valve was replaced ok,stop tap cant be done as the external stop tap outside on the path is broken....  Yorkshire water coming out to replace the external stop tap next week then plumber coming back to replace the internal stop tap... :happy:

A friendly plumber told me to fully close and open the stop tap once every year to stop them seizing up (which reminds me....)

I only bought the house a year ago & found out the stop tap was seized a few months ago when i had a new bathroom fitted,there is a isolator valve in the water meter pipework so im still able to turn the water off in the house,had that much work to do to the house inside & out that im only getting to the little jobs now to finish it all off.

A friendly plumber told me to fully close and open the stop tap once every year to stop them seizing up (which reminds me....)

Then the gland will probably start leaking. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Then the gland will probably start leaking. 

Or the pipe will fall apart due to some numpty fitting a section of galv pipe in the line.

It happened to me... well, not a pipe, a whole bloody immersion tank!!! I went to undo the element and the whole top caved in!!!! That is the reason my dining room ceiling has been replastered three times!! (2nd time was the back boiler letting go and the 1st time was because EVERY pipe in the house was spraying like a sprinkler hose when I first turned the water on, after buying the place).

Or the pipe will fall apart due to some numpty fitting a section of galv pipe in the line.

It happened to me... well, not a pipe, a whole bloody immersion tank!!! I went to undo the element and the whole top caved in!!!! That is the reason my dining room ceiling has been replastered three times!! (2nd time was the back boiler letting go and the 1st time was because EVERY pipe in the house was spraying like a sprinkler hose when I first turned the water on, after buying the place).

Galv tanks do that.

Ive currently got a job booked in to replace a 650 litre cold water storage tank in a loft. Its about to rot through the bottom.

Ive got a pic, if i can post it...

Thats the bottom of the tank. Thats like a time bomb, n when it does rot through, the ball valve will drop n keep letting mains water through until someone turns the water off.

post-109845-0-81392300-1458902431_thumb.png

Aha. Wouldnt touch it anyway

You'd have to take the roof off to get it out aha.

I've done worse. Had a house with a 1200gallon oil tank in a big garden shed (the shed had been built round the tank) and it had to be replaced as it was leaking. Got a local contractor in with a crane, lifted the roof off the shed and placed it to one side, lifted the old tank out, lifted the new tank in, and then dropped the roof back on again.

• Like 1