Refurbing alloys - DIY possible ?

I have laquer issues and a couple of scratches on my 18" Thermisto's

I will cost around £300 to £400 to get them diamond cut/polished or £100 if I just have them enameled

I am also looking at selling the Superb this year - to buy an Audi A4 or A6 Avant - depends if the dog cate will fit :D

So is it worth trying to deal with them myself, getting them diamond cut/polished or enameled ? 

Has anyone tried refurbing them selves ?

Chers

Chris

What are your options ?  

Have you got the time , equipment, knowledge to do it yourself.. Will it be ok when you have done it ?

If your not sure , its probably best to bite the bullet and get a pro to do it. 

There may be a possibility that someone somewhere will have a set of wheels for sale..but probably cost more than a refurb.

My wife terminally kerbed all 4 wheels on her Fiat 500 in one day.. So threw them in the skip and put steels on it... 

Maybe its not in the spirit of the thing but for me the diamond cut on the Thermistos doesn't really add much, very hard to spot from any sort of distance.  Why not just get them them refurbished in silver and skip the diamond cut? probably cost you considerably less and will last longer...

• Like 1

My wife completely butchered the left front Thermisto on our car this week. Deep Scrapes from the tyre to 3" down the wheel in a number of places. Given that all of the wheels now have damage, and the peeling laquer I am tempted to try DIY too. I thought about having a go with some sandpaper or dremel but a few things have stopped  me. It will take hours, the job will never be very good (you're not going to match the diamond cut pattern), and my wife will only kerb them again as soon as I'm done.

Seeing as we are keeping the car for another 5 years I will just get them refurbished/painted before we sell it. Seriously tempted by Kirkie's idea to put on some steel wheels (the spare wheel looks tough apart from the yellow warning label).

Just think how cheesed off you'll be with having to look at damaged wheels for another five years though. :p

Its a dilemma...

My 11 year old likes the look of the black steel spare, and I think it does have a certain 'street sleeper' look to it. Like this...

photo73.jpg