Which summer tires for 18" wheels?

Hi all.

So my question is what summer tires to get? Previous owner had:

225/40 R18 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 K120 XL

Question is are they good? Any one had some experience with this tires?

I didn't have any problems with them. But on Croatian forums there was mixed opinions with Hankook.

My situation is. When I bought the car I got 2 summer tires and 2 winter (both pairs 18). Winter tires wear done and I bought 16 wheels and Continental. Now spring is getting close so...

Thinking of buying 2 pairs or 4 if I manage to sell 2 used ones. Is Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 K120 XL a good choice?

Also if yes, would anyone consider buying 2 pairs? DOT 14 Any VRS sport guys who race and spend their tires on track?

I require reliable tire which will last for 3 or 4 seasons of normal driving. I am still waiting for 2016 tests.

Edited by Croat

I have - for the third time, first two on a Focus ST - opted to fit Vredestein Ultrac Vortis to my vRS.  I really like them.  They do require the tyre press to be on the higher side, so you may find the ride slightly cashier.  I'm not that fussed.

No experience of the tyres you're asking about I'm afraid.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 or 3's. Both have excellent reputations. 

Agreed - got the A2's ready to go back on in a month or so - good tyres and good kerb protection

Edited by Exeterj

I use Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 225/40 R18 with rim protection on my 18" Turini all year round.

They might be slightly on the softer side but then they are EfficientGrip! And they do grab very nicely when pushed into corners.

They are also one of the quietest rated and also not bad economy rated, so whereas other tyres might last longer, these might be cheaper to run in the long run.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Goodyear-EfficientGrip-Performance-225_40-R18-92W-XL-with-rim-protection-_MFS_&details=Ordern&typ=R-234568&cart_id=28953089.110.12876&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Quer=40&Felge=18&Speed=Y&weiter=0&Ang_pro_Seite=50&sort_by=tests&Transport=P&dsco=110&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW

I already had one pair so bought another. Will see how Hancock will perform so if I will be satisfied I will stay with them if not will get another brand.

• 1 month later...

I'm having a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s fitted to my 2 week old vRS on wednesday, because I hate the Potenzas it came on so much. THEY ARE SO LOUD!

Just replaced the factory fitted Bridgestone Potenza's on the front of my vRS TSI hatch with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's. Had the pair of Goodyears fitted to the rear and the existing rears fitted to the front as they still had some wear left.

Did some research on the Goodyears and they were also recommended on these forums. Initially difficiult to source the Goodyears, with most retailers quoting over a weeks wait including my local Skoda dealer. Eventually found it available at a Formula 1 tyre centre as I could not wiat as the front tyres were at their legal minimum.

I am not a professional driver or sort, but noticed a tangible difference with the new tyres, in that the ride was quieter and the overll ride felt noticeably better. Progressive breaking also felt smoother! I cant wait to replace the front tyres with the Goodyears also,