Complete piece of **** Renault Clio 1.2 16v 2004

2SkodaFamily

Here goes my tale of woe.....

Eldest lad was learning to drive, so we bought him this car in September for £800. It's a Renault Clio 1.2 16v Extreme. It ran and drove fine when I tested for it, so I parted with my hard earned.

Since then the bloody thing has had it in for me. It's broken down more times than I've actually driven it, if that's even possible. I've had to spend about as much as I paid for it in brakes, wheel bearings, engine sensors, battery, recovery etc. I've finally run out of patience with it, so it's going one way or another.

I went to use it earlier this week and the battery was totally dead. It's a new battery. I jump started it this morning, and when I finally got it driving, the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. I have no idea why. And looking around it this morning, there's mustard under the oil filler cap so I assume the head gasket has gone.

I there's 4 brand new tyres on it too.

The bodywork is actually ok and rust free as far as I can see, and the interior is tidy enough as well. It's just the running gear that's totally shot.

Maybe could be a project for someone? A track car? Or even a novelty plant pot. Take out the sun roof and the windows and you'll have a hell of a hanging basket.

I don't even know if you can get scrap for cars these days as everything has to be disposed of properly.

I'll put a nominal price of £500 on to satisfy forum rules but to be honest I have no idea what it's worth as a non runner.

Edited by 2SkodaFamily

I have a friend who's son has one of them, maybe even a 2006 one, seemed like a brilliant car for a while, then running issues followed by MOT fail on emissions, one Lambda sensor and a new cat later it "just" sneaked through its MOT. I warned him that he should look deeper into this in case it trashed its second cat. Anyway, worse to come car would not start, RAC checked it and declared it needed a new alternator and recovered it to my mate's local garage - local garage checked it and said it was just a dead battery and replaced it, great! A few days later he complained about losing power steering and lots of other issues, I suggested (by phone) that the charging circuit could have a fault, like maybe an alternator (like the RAC guy said)! Undeterred my mate booked it into the nearest Renault garage for an hour of diagnostic investigation, but by this time car had returned to being maybe impossible to start in the morning,  his son managed to drive it there and left it for the day, went to pick it up, he had to pay for the hour diagnostics but the tech could not do anything as his equipment could not talk to the car as there was not enough juice left in the battery!! That shows no willing or much ability from the Renault garage techs does it, so now it is back at local garage for a proper mobile auto electrician to sort out!  I was looking on the web about these cars (Clio) and their problems, seems like some places like HomeTune will not accept any jobs on them!!  Monday seems to be D day for that one!

Neighbours daughter has a Y reg one, not sure what engine. Drove here the other evening to drop off some laundry, went out less than 10 mins later and her Clio would not start. Car had to be towed to local workshop who have declared the ECU dead, or at least nothing can talk to it. Can't believe a car can be running fine, and then just die. She pulled up outside and switched it off as usual, then BAM, all it would do is turn the starter.

£500 might be pushing it, you can buy working ones for that kind of money. I would just sell it for anything more than the scrap man will offer, and get another small non french car.

We have had our 2003 clio 1.2 since new, 2 owners my missus & her mum. I must say ours has been excellent. I took over from genuine service when it was passed from Mum to daughter, only issues its had are the coil pack, and plugs needed changing. I got the water pump aux belt and timing belt changed less than 10k ago, but now the bloody clutch has gone. And TBH its probably beyond my capabilities. The value of these cars near our mileage 90k is tops £800, so im at a dilemma, should i pay the £300 quotes (inc toe) or should i sell for lets say £500? Plus there are so many of these cars for sale is the demand even there.. i could pay out the struggle to sell it.

But then i think its not a fixer to be profitable, would anyone be interested ....

• Like 1

We have had our 2003 clio 1.2 since new, 2 owners my missus & her mum. I must say ours has been excellent. I took over from genuine service when it was passed from Mum to daughter, only issues its had are the coil pack, and plugs needed changing. I got the water pump aux belt and timing belt changed less than 10k ago, but now the bloody clutch has gone. And TBH its probably beyond my capabilities. The value of these cars near our mileage 90k is tops £800, so im at a dilemma, should i pay the £300 quotes (inc toe) or should i sell for lets say £500? Plus there are so many of these cars for sale is the demand even there.. i could pay out the struggle to sell it.

But then i think its not a fixer to be profitable, would anyone be interested ....

The thing is, you know this car and its history. it maybe better to fix it and keep using it, better the devil you know. If you buy another car at the cheap end of the scale, chances are its going to need £300 or more work on it anyway.

Neighbours daughter has a Y reg one, not sure what engine. Drove here the other evening to drop off some laundry, went out less than 10 mins later and her Clio would not start. Car had to be towed to local workshop who have declared the ECU dead, or at least nothing can talk to it. Can't believe a car can be running fine, and then just die. She pulled up outside and switched it off as usual, then BAM, all it would do is turn the starter.

£500 might be pushing it, you can buy working ones for that kind of money. I would just sell it for anything more than the scrap man will offer, and get another small non french car.

I only said £500 so that the post had a price on it. As I said I've got no idea. There's nearly £200 of new tyres on it alone.

Head gasket won't have gone :) hope that helps the sale. These engines condensate like a b*tch and leave mayo on oil filler. They won't start when they drop below 12v I had this with my black one, took battery off. Drop tested and charged to 14v I've seen new ones do it on these Clios too. Drop me a PM on what kind of money you were thinking of.

The thing is, you know this car and its history. it maybe better to fix it and keep using it, better the devil you know. If you buy another car at the cheap end of the scale, chances are its going to need £300 or more work on it anyway.

bought a polo dune with 47k as a replacement. so the clio is a sell as is, or do clutch and sell... thats the dilema

PM me with location and cost

Sounds like a wiring fault I had rather than ecu. Turns over quite eagerly?

Sounds like a wiring fault I had rather than ecu. Turns over quite eagerly?

Crankshaft sensor on the front. Stupid idea but easily fixed. 

I've had six clios between me and the other half. All have been very good. Arguably the safest car you would buy for the money to put your son in! Shame that you have had a nightmare with yours. My only complaint with them is that they eat bulbs. 

Good luck with the sale!

Crankshaft sensor on the front. Stupid idea but easily fixed.

I've had six clios between me and the other half. All have been very good. Arguably the safest car you would buy for the money to put your son in! Shame that you have had a nightmare with yours. My only complaint with them is that they eat bulbs.

Good luck with the sale!

Had a few of those, normally loose ckps connections in my case. I've had loads of the things and am running them around ATM. Bulbs have never been an issue on my main one,

That is problems galore!!

Must have been unlucky with this Clio!!

If you've got the space......break it for spares, you'll prob recoup some of the money spent if the bits are in good condition.

Cause if you scrap it.....it's gonna get broken up/recycled.

or Gumtree it as a donor car

If it comes to it.....then fleaBay it.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldnt break it, Renaultsports only break for around £500 and they've got the interior/wheels/bumpers everybody else wants. I got lent an early 172 on 230k when the engine fell out my Octavia (skodas fault) in place of their lack of an offer of a courtesy car. Been in the family for 10 years.