170 DSG - anything NOT to like?

Chubbs

VW diesel fitted would be the Euro 6 engine not the troubled 5 engine.

Euro 6 will be only if built in May or after.

And I think that after May the 150 was the most powerful so no 170s.

The 170 is one of the affected engines, mine is one of those and I would ask the dealer if your car has had the software upgrade done. I doubt it would have been done yet as I think the new software hasn't been released yet. 

Ian

The 170 is one of the affected engines, mine is one of those and I would ask the dealer if your car has had the software upgrade done. I doubt it would have been done yet as I think the new software hasn't been released yet. 

Ian

I wonder if your 170 would become a clean 150.

I wonder if your 170 would become a clean 150.

The dealer doesn't seem to think so, it won't instantly become a Euro 6 engine as the 150 tdi has a completely different exhaust gas treatment system including Adblue.

Ian

Ian

No one has had the software upgrade done yet; it still hasn't been released.

The dealer doesn't seem to think so, it won't instantly become a Euro 6 engine as the 150 tdi has a completely different exhaust gas treatment system including Adblue.

Ian

No, I was just wondering if a fix for the 170 would be a good choice as I'd expect a power drop if done.

VW aren't going to admit to any downside effects I suspect.

• Like 1

Ian

So is this another reason why they've reduced their price and 'want shut'? What implication, if any, would this have an me? Or is it too early to say cos nobody really knows? Clearly any software update would want the car to comply with the appropriate emission test but would this cost the individual or affect vehicle performance?

Before the resident scaremongerers of doom set off on their pilgrimage on yet another thread....

Correct me if I'm wrong but VAG have said any modification will not affect performance or consumption. No one can say that is not going to be the case because no car has been modded yet - as far as anyone knows.

If you're buying from a dealer, get it in writing that the mod (when it is released) will not affect performance/consumption and if, on the off chance it does, that they will compensate you accordingly.

You won't regret the 170 horses...!

That's the point, they haven't said ANYTHING about 'performance' but, some time ago, they DID claim no increase per Km for CO2, and thus we presumably, for consumption also.(?)

It appears that power comes with NOx as a byproduct from high combustion temperatures and without SCR it has to be dealt with PRIOR to combustion

It seems these are just basic diesel characteristics.

My Passat is on the list.

I sat with a VW customer service rep a week ago and she said there would be no change to mpg or performance and the software release was due first week in March.

Edited by DonjSZ5

I sat with a VW customer service rep a week ago and she said there would be no change to mpg or performance and the software release was due first week in March.

So why install a cheat device in the first place?.

Before the resident scaremongerers of doom set off on their pilgrimage on yet another thread....

Correct me if I'm wrong but VAG have said any modification will not affect performance or consumption. No one can say that is not going to be the case because no car has been modded yet - as far as anyone knows.

If you're buying from a dealer, get it in writing that the mod (when it is released) will not affect performance/consumption and if, on the off chance it does, that they will compensate you accordingly.

You won't regret the 170 horses...!

'They' claim residual values will not be affected, thus customers will NOT be compensated as in the following article:-

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/92893/vw-emissions-scandal-recalls-compensation-is-your-car-affected-latest-news

Call me old fashioned but if the VW Group are making such losses then they'll need to make it up elsewhere - on trade in?  Do I wan to pump money into that situation if I'm buying?  It's crystal ball time and I'm not Mystic Meg!

This seems in line with the article in the link above...........

But surely this isn't the only thing the original poster wants to hear, how about the fact it has a 7 speed DSG in it? I wouldn't buy another DSG to be frank, and I have the more stable 6 speed wet clutch type.

Other things to look out for? stone chips on the back doors and poor leather stitching on the rear benches where it meets parcelshelf

Edited by delitfol

Very happy with my L&K 170 DSG. I had the smaller (148?) before. The 170 is noticeably quicker, but that does affect the mpg, if you have a right foot like mine!

I'm now getting about 42mpg with 9,500 miles on the clock. The old one averaged about 45mpg.

As an old slushmatic box user in various cars before, the DSG is a revelation. Changes up in the blink of an eye and also changes down to help with deceleration.

I gather they are not the most reliable thing in the world after a few years, but enjoy it now.

But surely this isn't the only thing the original poster wants to hear, how about the fact it has a 7 speed DSG in it? I wouldn't buy another DSG to be frank, and I have the more stable 6 speed wet clutch type.

Other things to look out for? stone chips on the back doors and poor leather stitching on the rear benches where it meets parcelshelf

Oh my, I'd just got my head around the DSG thing and don't want to start another debate on that! I've driven DSG before and, whilst not as smooth and predictable as say BMW semi autos, I find it a good 'box'. Reliability is another matter........

Very happy with my L&K 170 DSG. I had the smaller (148?) before. The 170 is noticeably quicker, but that does affect the mpg, if you have a right foot like mine!

I'm now getting about 42mpg with 9,500 miles on the clock. The old one averaged about 45mpg.

As an old slushmatic box user in various cars before, the DSG is a revelation. Changes up in the blink of an eye and also changes down to help with deceleration.

I gather they are not the most reliable thing in the world after a few years, but enjoy it now.

Not bad mpg, especially if you've a heavy right foot!

• Like 1

Just got off the phone to the dealer and they confirmed the car IS affected but stated its a simple software update taking 20 mins that has no detriment to the mpg or performance. They went on to say I didn't actually have to submit the car for recall, thus avoiding any software update! They wer not prepared to lower the asking price or offer any other incentive to buy other than the boot liner, mats and mud flaps. Decision time!