Screw in the sidewall, tyre 126miles only, Oh! Bother!

gumdrop

Leaving the Old Oaks site this morning I picked up a screw in the sidewall of a tyre.

Cutting a long story short the tyre is u/s a new tyre quoted at £165 so I started looking

for a replacement Goodyear Efficient Grip 225/50R 17 94W

The best I found with Fitting, New Valve, Balancing and old tyre disposal was with

ASDA tyres this also includes an appointment at the nearest Halfords Service Centre

to have it fitted ..... price £100.40p

Bummer!

Have you tried etyres.co.uk or event-tyres.co.uk? I've used both in the past and they've been good prices and good service. They fit anywhere you want too.

I remember it happening to me a few years ago,after saving for a Michelin for my Sierra. Got a drill bit stuck in it day one,U/S :dull:

• Like 1

Cheapest I found last month after similar damage was Camskill who delivered next day to my son, who fitted it and brought wheel home [emoji52]

Sent mainly by pure luck using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I remember many years ago my late Father found a small chrome-plated adjustable spanner in his deflated tyre.  The spanner was a 'King ****' brand one; now how can that possibly have happened?

Sidewall damage CAN be repaired safely and legally. It's not cheap as it requires reconstruction of the side of the tyre (known as a "major repair") and costs about £30-£40, but, given your tyre is practically brand new, it's worth doing.

You have to find a decent independent tyre centre - the big chains won't do it, they'd rather make more money off you by needlessly selling you a new tyre.

Edited by 137699

Sidewall damage CAN be repaired safely and legally. It's not cheap as it requires reconstruction of the side of the tyre (known as a "major repair") and costs about £30-£40, but, given your tyre is practically brand new, it's worth doing.

You have to find a decent independent tyre centre - the big chains won't do it, they'd rather make more money off you by needlessly selling you a new tyre.

I had a nail in the sidewall of a contenental tyre, it had done 17000 miles on the rear, I bought a brand new one, same as already on car, for £60 ...

Not worth the risk in my opinion.... it's still a repaired tyre, the repair must be the weakest point no matter how you look at it.

Just for the record I got my Michelin Cross Climates from my local main dealer (Henry's, Glasgow) for a good bit less than the discount chains and they got them in <24hours so worth a try if you have a good dealer nearby

137699 is correct, if you have time and it's a fairly new tyre, a 'major repair' is worth investigating. I had them carried out regularly on my truck rental fleet tyres without problems. If you are still a bit reluctant, refit to the rear where a sudden deflation won't cause much loss of control of your Yeti.