Yeti windscreen replacement

mattlad

I was thinking of asking the same question...mine's cracked and its booked in for replacement in 10 days time.  Any problems with the heating elements, rain sensors etc?

Yep, had one changed early last year, heated at that. Autoglass came to the house & did it at the side of the garage under the awning rolled out from the side of the van. No problems at all & the technician said it wasn't the first heated one he'd done either. Not sure who made the replacement, but under some light conditions, I can see the heater elements, which I couldn't do with the original.

Took over 4 hours, but a fair bit of that was either removing the old epoxy or waiting for the new stuff to cure.

Apart from that, a perfect job & great care was taken not to scratch any of the trim bits, of which there are quite a few to remove & replace.

Cheers,

thedinger.

Had mine replaced yesterday on my XC60. Auto glass did it at home .... Heated screen did cause an issue. Done within about an hour. Much more straightforward than I thought.

Not sure who made the replacement, but under some light conditions, I can see the heater elements, which I couldn't do with the original.

On my Oct 2015 Yeti L&K you can definitely see the heating elements in the windscreen, quite easily really from the driver's seat - so perhaps it's been changed by Skoda if it was hard to see them before (unless just one of those things that once you see it, you can't unsee it!).

Edited by Jimrod
  • Like 1

Auto Glass did my previous 2013 model at home ,took 3 days to book when the guy came he had just started and we had one heck of a thunderstorm which lasted a couple of hours.

Because of the lightening he was unable to errect the pull out metal cover on his van ,poor bloke got absolutely soaked ,felt so sorry for him I gave him dry T- shirt.

Despite this he did a cracking job and I was well pleased.

I had mine replaced a couple of weeks ago during brief very hard showers. As up here they have sold out all the depots they have to work from their vans and because of the recent storms have been told not to use the gazebos or van roller covers. That is all I can say against them.
The fitter did an excellent job of replacing mine and fitted an after-market screen but did say if you asked for a genuine OEM screen that is what would be fitted.

Had my screen replaced Feb 2015.

Important part is the screen does not leak.

I failed to check everything till a couple of days later,

found damage to the A pillar cover, bottom corner broken off.

To late to complain 3 days later.

Still a great car to drive.

Had my screen replaced a few months back by Autoglass. The operator asked me about the chip damage which I described accurately and she assured me it could be repaired and I assured her it could not. Autoglass man came and asked me which idiot said it could be repaired and promptly ordered a new windscreen. Wasn't avaible for first appointment but new appointment made shortly afterwards where he returned and do a very efficient repair.

• 1 month later...

A stone chipped the screen on 8th March, called out Autoglass as per insurance and screen cracked when they tried to fix it. It then took autoglass 3 weeks to get the correct screen and fix it. Must admit they did a good job but was not impressed at the delay.

Yeti Outdoor SE L 2.0 TDI CR DPF 150 PS 4x4 DSG

Our heated screen was replaced Dec 2014 due to large chip in line of sight.

The original one had leaked slightly from day one but the Autoglass fitted ( at their local depot due to constant rain) is perfect. Light and rain senser work fine, heater is good, no broken trim, excellent service.

The original one had leaked slightly from day one

Ours did not leak but the Autoglass fitter showed me where there was about a 4" gap in the adhesive at the top middle when he replaced it recently.

I work for a windscreen distribution company that supplies fitters with all types of glass for any vehicle. All screens are manufactured to a standard relative to the cost. The lesser known brand will of course be cheaper and therefore more prone to problems

. if you're looking for top brands just insist that your fitting company uses the top brands ie Pilkington, Guardian , AGC etc.

Like everything in life. You get what you pay for.

I always insist on the brand for brand replacement.

Job done, with no apparent problems. I'll take it out in a while and make sure everything is okay. 

Why would you take the window out to make sure everything is okay :D

Colin

Why would you take the window out to make sure everything is okay :D

Colin

Funny you should mention that! I used to have a customer who would pull his car apart after we had serviced / repaired it (not that we knew that at the time!) One day he took his wheels off to make sure that we had done the brakes properly, and unfortunately didn't torque them up correctly. Going down the motorway his wheels fell off....... There was hell to pay of course, the mechanic who worked on it was very lucky to keep his job and we lost the contract with the company that owned the car. 

It was only after the guy got the sack from the company that the truth came out. It goes without saying that I was a wee tad annoyed.......  :@

I work for a windscreen distribution company that supplies fitters with all types of glass for any vehicle. All screens are manufactured to a standard relative to the cost. The lesser known brand will of course be cheaper and therefore more prone to problems

. if you're looking for top brands just insist that your fitting company uses the top brands ie Pilkington, Guardian , AGC etc.

Like everything in life. You get what you pay for.

I always insist on the brand for brand replacement.

As a matter of interest, what's your opinion of the Shatterpruf screens that Autoglass seem to fit by default?

Yes shatterprufe is a good 2nd level brand .never had any problems with the quality

Don't forget that some brand names are owned/ part owned by the leading companies as budget price alternatives.

Also glass is manufactured all over the world and

shipped in .the best-known brands have facilities on every continent so your replacement glass can come from anywhere..

There's a reason cheaper brands are cheaper and that's the quality of the material used.

My best advice is to ask for the replacement glass to be the same as the original.

• Like 1