Speed Limiter

Still getting used to my DSG Fabia III.  The car has cruise control and a speed limiter I believe.  The cruise control is straightforward and the same as I had in my Fabia II.  But I can't fathom out how to use the speed limiter.  The handbook is of little help on this so am hoping that forum members can put me out of my misery.

How do I set and adjust the speed limiter and how do I activate/deactivate it as needed?  Replies in plain English please (I'm not a technical type person).  Many thanks.

Still getting used to my DSG Fabia III.  The car has cruise control and a speed limiter I believe.  The cruise control is straightforward and the same as I had in my Fabia II.  But I can't fathom out how to use the speed limiter.  The handbook is of little help on this so am hoping that forum members can put me out of my misery.

How do I set and adjust the speed limiter and how do I activate/deactivate it as needed?  Replies in plain English please (I'm not a technical type person).  Many thanks.

I'm in exactly the same boat,I'd love to know too!

Underneath the left Stalk is a button, press it and you will see a symbol on the bottom of the Maxidot, next to the cruise symbol.

I think you drive at say 70mph ( any speed  you like really ) and then press the button, I think the symbol then gives the speed it's set at and it wont go any faster 

You may be able to alter the speed up/down by using the rocker swith on the end of the stalk.

Disclaimer : I think

Mrs Goldfingers car has it but hardly used as cruise does the same job really.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Underneath the left Stalk is a button, press it and you will see a symbol on the bottom of the Maxidot, next to the cruise symbol.

I think you drive at say 70mph ( any speed  you like really ) and then press the button, I think the symbol then gives the speed it's set at and it wont go any faster 

You may be able to alter the speed up/down by using the rocker swith on the end of the stalk.

Disclaimer : I think

Mrs Goldfingers car has it but hardly used as cruise does the same job really.

-and I think (!) you're right here. Know Ive got the gadget, but never used it.

I also happens to know that you can bypass the limiter if needed at an emergency by pressing the gas pedal to the bottom.

• Like 1

It's quite simple and works intuitively similar to the cruise control. You switch from cruise control to speed limited with the aforementioned button underneath the lever.

Then you set the required speed limit just like you set cruise control (go to certain speed, press set). You cancel the speed limit just like you cancel cruise control (i.e., pushing slightly the cruise control/speed limited switch to right). Here cancelling is also actually opposite cruise control - you cancel cruise control by pressing brakes, you cancel speed limit by pressing down the accelerator. You adjust the speed limited speed just like cruise control (yet again) - set button (or whichever was on the top) = increase speed limit by one kmph (or mph?), restore button (or the bottom button) = decrease by one kmph (or mph). It just lets you worry less about speeding in urban areas on wide lanes (where you can't feel the speed so good as in narrow streets).

• Like 1

Thank you all.  Managed to find the button underneath the left hand stalk.  Had to look close though as it is well recessed into the stalk and you wouldn't know it is there unless you went looking for it.  Will give it a go over the next few days and come back if there is a problem.  Thanks again.

The first couple of times I tried to use cruise control I accidentally switched on the indicator. Something to watch.

Thank you all.  Managed to find the button underneath the left hand stalk.  Had to look close though as it is well recessed into the stalk and you wouldn't know it is there unless you went looking for it.  Will give it a go over the next few days and come back if there is a problem.  Thanks again.

Left hand stalk. Press button on underside of stalk...first press brings up speed limiter sign at bottom left of Maxidot. On end of stalk is a rocker switch...press upper segment to set limiter at whatever speed you are currently doing. Speed shows in Lower left Maxidot. You can then use the rocker to raise or lower the limit speed to suit. To cancel, just move the lever on top of left hand stalk to mid-point and let it spring back. Next time you enable the Limiter it will remember the setting from last time so no need to recalibrate. I use mine set to 30mph as a guarantee of no naughties. Whilst in limit mode you can use the rocker switch to raise and lower speed setting...but whatever you cancel it at will remain in the memory for next use.

To remove limited speed from memory just take top lever all the way to right and back.

As has already been said, you can end up indicating right when pressing the bottom button, I usually place finger on top of stalk and press button with thumb. Have a play on a quiet road. If you are over speed when you select limiter it will bong at you. Once below limit you can press accelerator to your heart's content and it just meaxes at your preset. Not tried full kickdown to over-ride.

Think the handbook was written by someone who translated it from the Czech into their third language of Swahili before then finally writing it into their fourth language of English. Much overstatement but you get the idea.

• Like 1

I had the speed limiter (only) on an SE rental in Spain last summer. I thought I would miss cruise control - and I do like being able to rest my foot completely on a long trip - but I actually found it very good. As Gauss explained above, it does not cancel when you use the brakes so, once you press set (just like cruise) it will stop you exceeding the speed limit however many times you brake, stop and accelerate. If you do need to, you can still floor the accelerator to avoid an accident and, as long as you don't prod it too quickly, you can just rest your foot on the accelerator when the limiter is controlling it. It is quite nice to be able to just accelerate away in town and let the limiter catch you. If you just nudge the rocker on the top to cancel, I think you can just tap the resume button when you came to another speed limit - useful when there are several stretches with the same limit separated by short stretches where you can go faster. In short, I think you might like having the limiter in town and where there are several stretches of limited road, while still having cruise for the longer stretches of motorway.