wet carpet

Hi guys, wondering if you could help,I was hoovering my car before and I noticed that the carpet was wet on the passengers side carpet and wet on the rear carpet in the back as well,but not as much as the front.

My cars an octavia 2012.cheers John..

Afternoon mate,

Leaking door seals are a known reason for what you describe. I'm a bit pushed for time but a quick search of this forum has brought this up.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/268292-leaking-door-seals/?hl=%2Bdoor+%2Bseals+%2Band+%2Bleaking#entry3197472

Also, when I first bought my Octavia, I partly removed the front wheel arch liners (a very easy job providing you've got the appropriate torx bits) and found a fair amount of composted rotted leaves which were blocking the drainage channels. (my car was just over three years old at the time).

Having owned a VW Passat in the past which leaked like a sieve into the front passenger footwell, I'm always keen to remove any leaves from near the bulkhead to prevent this problem occurring again.

Good luck.

Edited by flying pig

Hi mate,no the door seels haven't been removed,I don't understand how the wet could get through from the door to underneath the carpet.you will have to excuse me I'm a bit thick when it comes to cars..

Have you been able to identify the wettest part, ie, where the drips are hitting the carpet and spreading from? It might help us work out where the leak is running down from or where it's entering the vehicle...

These door seals can leak and it only takes the smallest hole for it to get through. If you take the door card off, dry around the seal, then close the door and spray with water. Open the door and you should see were it is leaking, most likely the rear door bottom right corner. If you peel the membrane back and apply a bitumen type sealant, I've used a bit of Thompsons Emergency Roof Repair before, then push the membrane back in place. Allow enough sealant so that spreads on the inside when you apply pressure and it should fix the leak. Bitumen seems to work better than silicon for some reason.

Close the door, spray with water and check for leaks again. If all Ok clear the drains holes at the bottom of the door and refit the card. 

Hi guys before I start to find out why my passenger floor carpet is wet tomorrow, what's the best way to dry the carpet out,also I hope it's coming from the pollen filter and not the seal on the door,I don't fancy taking it of,I know I'll end up breaking something..

0fead6eae8d2bf0cfd10fbe496c4c09d.jpg I have water that comes in around the front passenger door. Not sure where it starts to get in, but when I open the door there is a lot along the door seal which seems to have overflowed into the cabin. Also when I open the door it runs off the bottom of the door. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds/ looks similar to an issue we had on an Octy at work. I think the problem was the membrane in the door had torn or got mis located. That got sorted and the wet carpet was cured.

It won't be a membrane -- the door carriers on these are pressed metal, rivetted to the door frame with a butyl sealer between carrier and door. What will have happened is the butyl will have shrunk or perished and become water permeable. Many other cars use a plastic sheet to cover the hole in the inner door, but not VAG.

Mike

If you take the door card off, dry around the seal, then close the door and spray with water. Open the door and you should see were it is leaking, most likely the rear door bottom right corner. If you peel the membrane back and apply a bitumen type sealant, I've used a bit of Thompsons Emergency Roof Repair before, then push the membrane back in place. Allow enough sealant so that spreads on the inside when you apply pressure and it should fix the leak. Bitumen seems to work better than silicon for some reason.

Close the door, spray with water and check for leaks again. If all Ok clear the drains holes at the bottom of the door and refit the card.

• Like 2

It's a very simple job to fix.

Drying the car, just mop up what you can. Drive around with the heaters on full directed to the feet and vent your window. You'll be surprised how quickly it dries out.

Yup. Mine had a random one off water ingress problem so I decided to make use of the summer weather and take the whole carpet out. If you're methodical, it's not that hard. If you do, the only word of advice would be to use a sharp knife and cut a straight line on the bit of carpet around the hand brake so you can slip it over and off and back in reverse as they fitted the carpets before the handbrake so it's stuck under it. If you do it, you'll see what I mean. Even with a Jumbo box, slowly and carefully, it's relatively straightforward to get a full carpet out.

There's also a thick foam padding under the carpet which holds a hell of a lot of water like a sponge, so that will definitely need to come out as it will be heavy with water.

I've actually found where the water is coming in,I poured some water over the left hand side of the winderscreen and I've pulled the plastic trim of the left hand side of the seat that runs up to the glove box.theres aloud of wires running down the side,next to them there is a small hole with a white flange type thing it's only about a centimetre wide,this is where the water is coming out,and there is another hole next to it about an inch and a half wide and it's it full of water.made up I've found it any ideas of what to do next..