Skoda Felicia 1996 radio installation?

Hello. 

Recently got the chance to take over my grandma's car after she no longer needed it. A Felicia 1996, the car is well taken care of and only had some minor issues in the past. It's now at aproximately 133.000km and running great. What I miss though is a radio so I can listen to some music when driving to school. I inspected the car and it seems to have all the speakers installed. I also checked underneath the dashboard and the wires for the radio are sitting bundled up behind there. In the socket for the radio there is now just an empty little compartment with a tray that seems to be stuck quite good. Am i supposed to drill holes in the tray and guide the wires through or am I supposed to take out the tray first? Cause it will not move, i tried to wiggle it out with a screwdriver and tapped it lightly from behind but nothing happens. Will provide pictures if needed.   :p

Edited by LimeLeaf

I have not bought the radio yet. Probably certain specific length and height measurements I should look for or are these standard? This is my first car ever and I got my license not too long ago so I'm totally new to this stuff. I checked out some interior pics of the Felicia, same year as mine on Google and it seems some of them still have this tray intact with the radio installed. I'm thinking about buying a basic radio from a dealership tomorrow and I'll try to test fit it. If it fits in the tray I see no reason why I can't just drill some holes in the back of the tray and connect the radio this way, or?  

Edited by LimeLeaf

As I said, the tray should come out. It would be smart to go with it when you buy the radio. There is actually a half-cutout shape in the back of the tray for mounting a socket. Older radio units fit inside the tray. Newer ones don't. They should more or less fit the opening (tray removed) but it's better to leave room for returning the radio in case it doesn't fit properly.

Okay I will try to remove it tommorow so i can bring it to the dealership. Also my uncle came by to check out the car earlier today, he used to work as a mechanic so he might be able to help. He also took a look at the brakes and recommended that I change the disc brakes and pads, so I'll check prices on those parts tomorrow. Apparently there looked to be a modest bit of rust on the disc brakes, they feel fine to me but probably something I should get fixed asap. Thanks for help RicardoM, much appreciated. :)   

Okay so I got the radio installed today, I found out that the tray was somehow connected to the dash with hidden screws under the tray itself. I took a knife and hammered out the entire backside of the tray instead of trying to get it out. Took some measurements and drove to the dealership to buy a radio. The main power cord to the radio was tucked in really good under the dash so I could only barely get it to the radio. The antenna cord was too short so I had to buy an extender, then I realized the antenna on the roof was gone :dull: , will try and buy a new one next week, using my phone with AUX for now. The radio is quite loose as it sits now and came with a bracket i cant really use, think it would be safe to make it sit tight with some double sided tape? Or is this gonna cause problems? There are also just two speakers on the car and they are in the back, the audio quality is fine for me but i thought this was a bit strange. Is this standard for these cars? Anyways I can listen to some tracks now on the way to school so I'm quite happy about it. :D

The main power cord to the radio was tucked in really good under the dash so I could only barely get it to the radio.

The dashboard cover comes out. You need asap the service manual for Felicia. Without it, you'll be lost for finishing well this job and for future jobs. You need a decent set of tools too. Forget about household 'tools'. No tools, no DIY.

The antenna cord was too short so I had to buy an extender, then I realized the antenna on the roof was gone :dull: , will try and buy a new one next week, using my phone with AUX for now.

Is the entire antenna missing? Or just the tip? The original antenna has an FM amplifier at its base.

The radio is quite loose as it sits now and came with a bracket i cant really use, think it would be safe to make it sit tight with some double sided tape? Or is this gonna cause problems?

That would be a poor job that would add to your previous knife & hammer mess. Do it correctly. using the brackets included. It is you who measured the opening, so...

There are also just two speakers on the car and they are in the back, the audio quality is fine for me but i thought this was a bit strange. Is this standard for these cars?

No, it's not standard. Standard means 2 speakers mounted in front doors. Read the owner's manual entirely.

• 2 years later...
On 10/03/2019 at 14:33, lotrjw said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but its related.
I would like to know what to look for when getting an up to date stereo for my Felicia. 

What do you mean exactly? If there's radio already, just bring new one and plug it there. Majority of radios still use ISO connectors.

4 hours ago, Papez said:

What do you mean exactly? If there's radio already, just bring new one and plug it there. Majority of radios still use ISO connectors.

Im talking about the connectors they use, sorry I should have been clearer.

Felicia with Grundig MS-201 comes with (almost) standard ISO10487 connectors, meaning any modern radio will accept them. I say "almost" because on some VAG cars (Felicia included) pins A4 (+12V battery) and A7 (+12V switched) are swapped from factory. You will have to swap them back to standard ISO. If not, the radio might drain the battery overnight.

9 hours ago, RicardoM said:

Felicia with Grundig MS-201 comes with (almost) standard ISO10487 connectors, meaning any modern radio will accept them. I say "almost" because on some VAG cars (Felicia included) pins A4 (+12V battery) and A7 (+12V switched) are swapped from factory. You will have to swap them back to standard ISO. If not, the radio might drain the battery overnight.

OK thanks I will have to check that when I get a new one.

Here is the proof for my advice.

• This is from Grundig MS201 service manual.

MS201.jpg.57f2651d87a9c6c5807e53b60bed7c96.jpg

• This is the schematic of ISO10487 connector.

ISO10487.jpg.c15292b1a41f0be7e4f9a1f827e3372a.jpg

17 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

Here is the proof for my advice.

• This is from Grundig MS201 service manual.

MS201.jpg.57f2651d87a9c6c5807e53b60bed7c96.jpg

• This is the schematic of ISO10487 connector.

ISO10487.jpg.c15292b1a41f0be7e4f9a1f827e3372a.jpg

I guess I can check for certain with a circuit tester and make the relevant adjustments. Thanks for the images they will prove very useful.   

12 hours ago, RicardoM said:

I say "almost" because on some VAG cars (Felicia included) pins A4 (+12V battery) and A7 (+12V switched) are swapped from factory. You will have to swap them back to standard ISO. If not, the radio might drain the battery overnight.

Interesting, I have wiring from factory and A4 and A7 have both +12V battery. Yes, I experienced battery drain this winter, but quick fix is removing front panel of radio.

Edited by Papez

I also have a question for a new car radio. 

I own a Skoda Felicia from 1999. The second edition. I still got the standard radio in it. The Grundig WKC 1400. 

Id like to swap it for a modern one. 

The point is that im scared that a new one won't fit because of a few millimeters. Maybe the sides of that aluminum tray are broader than the one i have now? Could that be possible?

Do car radios have standard mesurements or can it be different?

1 hour ago, 2Chainz said:

The answer is yes to both questions. But... there's nothing a good ruler/caliper can't measure.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 17/03/2019 at 16:52, 2Chainz said:

They must be

i had installed a JVC and latter an Alpine (internal antenna both) and now i am looking to buy another one more ''modern''.

The problem with the technicians is to pull out the old after market radio,sometimes it stucks but they have they way to pull it out.