Has anyone noticed a benefit from running premium diesel?

JezF1000

Wifey tried the BP stuff and she said fuel economy worsened and she noticed no perceived improvement in performance compared with regular Shell diesel.

I know that premium fuels make a big difference on HPT petrol engines, but what are peoples experiences with the Fabia VRS?

think the results were: some poeple swear by them, some can't tell the difference! personally I try to use shell extra, I find this the best, if I put supermarket stuff in it smokes more...

As for power, I don't think it makes alot of difference, not as much as a cold day compaired to a hot day anyway!

My car runs quieter and smoother on BP ulitimate but no noticable improvement in economy so far. I thought I was just imagining things until I filled an empty tank on the way back from Dublin last week with standard diesel (a mere 65p a litre). The car has definately become a bit rougher and noisier since then but no complaints at that price.

I've not tried the premium diesels yet, but I can say that mine sounds like a bag of spanners if you use Morrisons ultra low sulphur city sh*te. The difference when refilling with Esso standard diesel had to be heard to be believed. I won't be using Morrisons again.

I've not tried the premium diesels yet, but I can say that mine sounds like a bag of spanners if you use Morrisons ultra low sulphur city sh*te. The difference when refilling with Esso standard diesel had to be heard to be believed. I won't be using Morrisons again.

I stay clear of all the supermarket sh*te

Hi

From my own subjective observations, the two to go for are BP Ultimate and Shell Diesel Extra. The Ultimate seems to give the "smoothest" drive, with reduced engine harshness, and also seems to rev out a little better than others. The Extra is almost the same and subjectively, it would be hard to tell them apart.

Both do more MPG in the vRS than the supermarket fuels, by around 2 or 3 mpg.

Esso from Esso stations seems pretty good as well. However, I bought some Esso from a Tesco convenience shop / garage and it ran rough as old boots.

Supermarket fuel is very variable. I have had some that ran so noticably rough that one of my driving school pupils who is far from mechanically minded noticed the difference and commented when we filled up with a fresh tank of Shell Diesel Extra, thus we can say that the differences are not always subtle.

Try it and see is the best solution. A couple of tankfulls wont break the bank, but you might get hooked.

Chris

Hi

From my own subjective observations' date=' the two to go for are BP Ultimate and Shell Diesel Extra. The Ultimate seems to give the "smoothest" drive, with reduced engine harshness, and also seems to rev out a little better than others. The Extra is almost the same and subjectively, it would be hard to tell them apart.

Both do more MPG in the vRS than the supermarket fuels, by around 2 or 3 mpg.

Esso from Esso stations seems pretty good as well. However, I bought some Esso from a Tesco convenience shop / garage and it ran rough as old boots.

Supermarket fuel is very variable. I have had some that ran so noticably rough that one of my driving school pupils who is far from mechanically minded noticed the difference and commented when we filled up with a fresh tank of Shell Diesel Extra, thus we can say that the differences are not always subtle.

Try it and see is the best solution. A couple of tankfulls wont break the bank, but you might get hooked.

Chris[/quote']I'm hooked already

Does Shell Diesel Extra still exist, or is it now just labelled "regular" Shell Diesel? Only ask as I went to find some to experiment with a few tanks through my car and couldn't find any pump labelled Diesel Extra at the Shell in Winchester.... :confused:

Just checked the Shell website and it says Winchester do have it and it costs no more than regular diesel! :confused:

Chris

Shell Diesel Extra was initially only available in the North of England and Scotland. It was suppposed to make its way south eventually, but i have yet to see it anywhere in around London yet. And where Extra was introduced, it replaced the regular diesel and was the same price, no premium.

Shell Diesel Extra was initially only available in the North of England and Scotland. It was suppposed to make its way south eventually, but i have yet to see it anywhere in around London yet. And where Extra was introduced, it replaced the regular diesel and was the same price, no premium.

http://www.shell.com/home/PlainPageServlet?FC=/uk-en/html/iwgen/shell_for_motorists/service_stations/app_station_finder.html

May be of interest :D

Chris

I use shell diesel extra too. I get a huge mpg loss on bp ultimate, with no noticable performance gain. Morrisons fuel is horrible, as has been mentioned. Car smokes like a steam train. I'm not concious of my mpg to be honest, but my average takes a serious nose dive on the few occasions i've put bp in.

..well I have been using BP Ultimate in my Furby VRS on and off for a while. I have always commented on the performance increase to friends. I find it noticeable! ..definitely no mpg loss not sure of much gain - but def in my opinion a slight performance increase.

The science is here to explain it too:

It has a higher cetane (equiv. to octane in petrol) rating - which should make the combustion process more efficient; less noise, more power and lower emissions!

norm=51:(

ultimate=55:)

I only ever use "premium" fuels, mainly BP Ultimate, as thats whats most common around here.

I found it VERY smokey to start with, but now I've used it exclusively for 5k miles or more, no more smoke. I believe this to be because of the "cleaning agents" in the fuel cleaning all the soot and ****e out of the engine for the first few tanks.

For the couple of quid a tank difference, it sure isn't doing it any harm.

The thing that impresses me most, is cold starts are nowhere near as clattery. I'm doubtful of any noticeable performance better, but its sure good at cleaning the engine, and imo, the price is worth it for this and the improved smoothness alone. :thumbup:

Not this old chestnut... **it's the same stuff!** :)

As it has been said it's not. They simply buy batches to quality is very variable, and they have little or no additives.

For me I use Shell Diesel extra, it's also as cheap as the supermarkets. Runs smoother, and I get more miles