Higher profile tyres

I'm have an increasingly dislike for the rubber bands called tyres on my wife's vrs. I forget what they are but they are stock fit. The ride isn't great and any pothole of depth makes it sound like the wheel is coming off. It turns out we have tps and it bonged today. I can't help feeling the tyre depth is helping the situation. All 4 tyres were checked and pronounced ok so a watching brief.

I'm considering changing all 4 for a higher profile, there appears to be depth in the wheel arch.

What have people managed to get to fit?

Standard is 205/40 R17

If the TPMS went off did you check the pressures, and have you set the system after changing pressures.?

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

I have on 215/40 R17 which helps a bit.

Others (not many) have fitted 205/45 R 17 but i would not go to that size.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Not a Fabia but I went from 45 to 50 profile tyres on the 17" rims on my Superb for the very same reasons you have issue with.

I haven't looked back, significant improvement to ride comfort and pothole protection, so much so both my winter and summers tyres run with a 50 profile.

The speedo now runs exact too, gone has the 5mph optimism...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/373406-can-i-fit-22550-r17-tyres-to-my-superb/

From this...

IMG_8302_zps6ndtmhrh.jpg

...to this...

IMG_8312_zpsd5ge6hcg.jpg

IMG_8305_zpsxjwd8rxf.jpg

You should also check with your insurer too.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

I'm now running 205/45r17 on my VRS as its speed bump heaven where I live, it's certainly made it a smoother going over them now.

I recall asking VW if it would be all right to use 195s instead of 205s (205 45 15 is a very hard to find size) on my Lupo - VW UK responded by email to say it wouldn't be as it could affect the ABS! Loada bull.

Edited by Brian69

I am just about to head off around the Western then Northern bit of Scotland for a jaunt,

so as i post a pair of 215/40 R17 Tigar Syneris are going on the rims going on the front.

http://atseuromaster.co.uk/tyres/tigar-tyres

Many will call them cheap ditch finders,

but they are the correct speed / load rating, as tough as old boots and actually give good traction in the wet & cold and warm.

Michelin own 100% the Company and the Factory that make Tigar Tyres and i like them.

So we will see how they were next week after 1,100 miles or so.

2 Spare Pirelli Zero Nero in the boot just in case i do wreck a tyre or 3.

Root toot.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I experimented & took the 4 x 25% worn Bridgestones 205/45/17 off my MX5 2.0 Sport & had them fitted to

my wife's Fabia Monte Carlo 1.6 Tdi Estate which needed 4 new tyres, she achieved 19K miles out of

3 of the original Dunlops, 1 Dunlop was replaced at 8K miles due to pot hole damage.

The 205/45/17 have improved the comfort, bear in mind the Bridgestones are a relatively "hard" tyre.

Whether this change will add anything to tyre protection remains to be experienced.

This tyre change will mean a speedo reading of 29 mph is actually 30 mph, 58 mph being 60 mph.

( I fitted 215/45/17 Kumho HS51 to the MX5)

Keith

Congrats.

Youve discovered the disadvantage of low profile tires.

You may need new rims to fit a higher profile. Guess you need to pass a MOT at some point.

How will the MOT be an issue?

They check the tyres for road worthiness not the specification.

Over here atleast they check if wheels are in spec. We also seem to have strict rules compared to the rest of the world, you guys use spacers and stuff that isn't legal over here. We have to stay within a 5% difference in total wheel diameter, and can only increase track width by 15mm pr. axle by ET, no spacers allowed.

• 2 weeks later...