Spare Wheel Options - OEM Sizes ?

I consider myself reasonably intelligent and clever. BUT how can a 205/55/16 as a spare compensate for a 235/45/18 ?  Standing side by side the 16" with tyre stands 24 inches the 18" stands 27 inches. :dull: 

Edited by albertz10

Just tried a 16" as a spare on my L&K...hits the brake calipers...so how can Skoda offer a 16" spare that wont hit  calipers??? confused .com 

Are you sure it was a 16"?

I ran 17" alloys with winter tyres and there was a fair bit of room between the wheel and calliper ... certainly more than ½" and mine is a 190.

Was it steel or alloy and what was the ET?

Yes, went to my tyre fitter , Rapide Fit...they had a new 16" caddy steel wheel...studs etc lined up perfect as did hub but clattered the caliper........

Well sorry but Rapide Fit have got it wrong...

I have just removed one of my front 19” alloys and the 16” spare wheel goes on with LOADS of room, this is on a 190 which may even use bigger brakes than the 150.

19” alloy:

IMG_1707_zpswbzc1gfg.jpg

16” OE factory fit spare wheel (5Q0 601 001 B)

S3%20spare_zps3ixr7a9x.jpg

IMG_1710_zpshxc8ddsi.jpg

IMG_1708_zps2z9ngut0.jpg

Looking through the holes to the outside edge of the calliper:

IMG_1711_zpshnbua6xv.jpg

Now the Caddy wheel may be a different shape but they do look very similar, the S3 16” is ET46 so considering there is a good 15mm clearance between the calliper and front face of the wheel that should not be an issue either

So I confirm the OE 16” spare will fit all 4 corners of the car (but not on the 280 and possibly the 220 petrols) 

I consider myself reasonably intelligent and clever. BUT how can a 205/55/16 as a spare compensate for a 235/45/18 ?  Standing side by side the 16" with tyre stands 24 inches the 18" stands 27 inches. :dull: 

That certainly is a big difference! 

Well sorry but Rapide Fit have got it wrong...

I have just removed one of my front 19” alloys and the 16” spare wheel goes on with LOADS of room, this is on a 190 which may even use bigger brakes than the 150.

19” alloy:

IMG_1707_zpswbzc1gfg.jpg

16” OE factory fit spare wheel (5Q0 601 001 B)

S3%20spare_zps3ixr7a9x.jpg

IMG_1710_zpshxc8ddsi.jpg

IMG_1708_zps2z9ngut0.jpg

Looking through the holes to the outside edge of the calliper:

IMG_1711_zpshnbua6xv.jpg

Now the Caddy wheel may be a different shape but they do look very similar, the S3 16” is ET46 so considering there is a good 15mm clearance between the calliper and front face of the wheel that should not be an issue either

So I confirm the OE 16” spare will fit all 4 corners of the car (but not on the 280 and possibly the 220 petrols) 

They have not got it wrong......I stood and watched, it did not fit. 

They have not got it wrong......I stood and watched, it did not fit. 

Then the Caddy wheel is obviously quite a bit different to the Superb wheel (despite them looking very similar) there is loads of room around the calliper with the Superb wheel.

So Škoda are obviously offering a spare that fits the car 

Then the Caddy wheel is obviously quite a bit different to the Superb wheel (despite them looking very similar) there is loads of room around the calliper with the Superb wheel.

So Škoda are obviously offering a spare that fits the car 

So back to my original....how can you run a 16" on a car with 18 " with a 3 " difference in height?  The car will be lop sided.

• 5 months later...

I found this while researching cost effective way to put spare wheel instead of bottle of rubber solution in my Superb estate.........

http://www.errolstyres.co.za/content/tyre-overall-rolling-diameter

When comparing 16" wheel (205/55) to 18" Pegasus alloys (235/45), I think loaded radius is important bit. I was disappointed to discover that 18" wheel+tyre wouldn't fit under the plastic valance, but I'm assuming Skoda know what they're doing by supplying 16" spare steel wheel, and that using it at 80kmh won't wreck transmission/abs/speedometer or whatever  :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Pyotr

For my Superb mk3 2.0 TDi 150 SE Business combi, I just bought this wheel from www.tyreleader.co.uk : 

Skoda Superb / Combi 2.0TDI (07/2008) 7x16"    for £40.50 delivered (five days, from Germany), and cheap 205/55 R16 94W tyre (Runway from Micheldever tyres, £45.80 fitted) Fits floor recess with room to spare........boot floor sits snugly on tyre wall.

Plus https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cbj3b-3-tonne-bottle-jack/     Hate scissor jacks, wheel brace I have already..............

IMHO better solution than Skoda alternatives, for  £100.

Pyotr

Edited by Pyotr

The issue the OP and a few others are running in to appears to be that the wheel size for the superb II is being mistakenly used for the Superb III by some people, hence the range of rolling diameters. The Octavia II and Superb II both took the same wheel size, but the Superb III has added 5 to the profile on the tyre to give a bigger overall diameter and more rubber between the alloy and the road. A lot of people, myself included, assumed the Superb III had the same wheel size as the Superb II initially.

• Like 1

Difference in distance travelled for one revolution between 205/55 R16 and 235/45 R18 is 37mm. For spare, this is acceptable, I think.

I have similar with my MX5, space saver spare supplied by Mazda that is slightly different diameter to main wheels.

This is my first Skoda, so I can't make comparison. It would be easy to use rev counter when spare is fitted to front of car to determine if speedometer

reading is out of tolerance with smaller wheel, but life is too short......................

Pyotr