VRS TSI loss of coolant

Having read recent posts about water pump leaks and coolant leaks in the turbo I thought I'd check my coolant level and guess what? It's at the minimum level!

Local garage us now closed until Tuesday. Should I wait until then to call them and keep any mileage to a minimum or is it worth calling Skoda assist? Not sure they'd be able to do anything other than take it to the local garage would they?

IT will be ok for local use as long as you don't get stuck in a mega jam, I.e keep air running through the radiator. If you haven't had the low coolant warning illuminate on the dash come then it is ok...for now. Get a pressure test done at the dealers for your peace of mind. Is yours a MY 15 and how many miles has your car done?

• Like 1

Yes, registered March 15 and only has 7500 miles on the clock. If it's a water pump leak would I notice any actual leaking on the driveway?

'MIN' Level is OK.   It should not be at 'MAX' level and it finds its own level.   There is no 'FILL TO THIS LEVEL'.

So do not let it go below 'MIN'. 

?

Have you checked it before when you got the car, or since to know where it was before it got to 'MIN'.?

Chill it is not desperate.

I regularly check the oil but maybe glance at the coolant level a couple of times a year. I can't say whether it has ever been higher than minimum if I'm honest!

I guess it's a case of checking in with the dealer on Tuesday and keeping a close eye the level doesn't drop below min.

You'd be surprised how little it will take to get it above MIN! If you have some de-mineralised/de-ionised water (some water that's PH neutral not hard or soft) you could put a drop in.

That's the type of water they will use to "make" the correct coolant and to put a "bit" of water in it will be fine.

Before you waste a journey to the dealers, check it cold, then run it for 8-10 miles and check again. It may have risen slightly. You don't want it above max. If there is a tiny weep, you may not notice coolant on the drive.

Before you waste a journey to the dealers, check it cold, then run it for 8-10 miles and check again. It may have risen slightly. You don't want it above max. If there is a tiny weep, you may not notice coolant on the drive.

The coolant level appears to be the same (min) cold and straight after a drive. Might just be a case of topping it up and keeping an eye on it.

The coolant level appears to be the same (min) cold and straight after a drive. Might just be a case of topping it up and keeping an eye on it.

That's what I did with my Leon and has not moved since,

• 3 weeks later...

What was the outcome with this in the end ?

The dealer advised me t top up the coolant and monitor it. So I topped up the coolant about 2 weeks ago to the max level - it doesn't appear to have moved since!

I suspect that the level was only ever topped up to the MIN level when it left the factory......cheapskates!!

I don't appear to have the "misting rear windscreen" problem (apart from nice cold mornings when the engine is cold) so fingers crossed all is well.

Hi folks,

Thought this may be of use here for those losing coolant. My TSI was only losing slowly so no dramatic rear mist. Attached pic summarises events but essentially they replaced a couple of o-rings and thermostat. In addition, splashed coolant around the place, overfilled coolant passed max (coke can full) twice, scratched the speedo plastic face, all complimentary. Just another day in the life of a clown who likes to take care of his car.

post-123089-0-08842800-1461308621_thumb.jpeg

I had a slow coolant leak in my 2014 VRS from new.  I check under the bonnet each weekend so noticed it after a few thousand Kms.  Just before the 15,000km service I had the low coolant light come on.

This was their first diagnosis.

post-122127-0-19138600-1461318221_thumb.jpg

Then after the service they decided the water pump needed replacement.

post-122127-0-79470900-1461318272_thumb.jpg

After I got the car back it was leaking so bad I had to top up the water every day and it was leaving a puddle on the garage floor.  Took it back and they said the other pump needed to be replaced.  Apparently behind what they replaced the first time.

Long story short had a loan car for 3 weeks after that while they sorted it out.  All good now have not had to top up the water in the last 15,000km.