Second hand car prices in the UK offer so much value.....

Wile7

I've just been browsing the for sale threads on Briskoda...which took me to Pistonheads and autotrader....as you do on a Sunday morning :)

It's one of the things I miss about living in the UK - the stunning second hand value of cars. Sure, it's not great for those trying to sell but for literally £500/800 you can get a fully MOT'd nice runaround and at the top end of that some real comfy barges. That won't buy you two second hand alloys with tyres here in Switzerland!

Just sayin' ;)

Dave

I've just been browsing the for sale threads on Briskoda...which took me to Pistonheads and autotrader....as you do on a Sunday morning :)

It's one of the things I miss about living in the UK - the stunning second hand value of cars. Sure, it's not great for those trying to sell but for literally £500/800 you can get a fully MOT'd nice runaround and at the top end of that some real comfy barges. That won't buy you two second hand alloys with tyres here in Switzerland!

Just sayin' ;)

Dave

I'm married to a Pole and their view on cars is different to that of the UK's as they like huge luxo-barges and prefer big German stuff over anything; precisely the stuff which is near worthless in the UK due to high road tax, repair costs, fuel costs and insurance costs.

They can't believe that a small hatchback costing 8k new is worth the same after 7 or 8 years as an exec model the same age worth 40k new!

For the clever mature motorist with a knowledge of mechanics and electronics, a luxo-barge can be a huge bargain, especially if registered on the suffix system or before 23 March 2006 on the prefix system (limited to band K).
I know of people running some 70k new stuff on LPG and having cheaper motoring than an old Corsa; but when something goes bang, it's all over...!
  • Like 1

That won't buy you two second hand alloys with tyres here in Switzerland!

Just sayin' ;)

Dave

I have 5 steelies with tyres and 8 alloys with tyres in the shed if you're stuck :D In all honesty specifically a set of 5 series BMW alloys and tyres I am so sick of having about I keep meaning to put them on gumtree for free to just take away, otherwise I'd have idiots trying to haggle over the maybe £100 they might be worth here on a good day.... 

• Like 1

The sad thing, Fubar, is that they would probably sell quite well here BUT the phaff and cost of shipping them over would defeat any possible profit in doing so....

Gumtree (or other similar free selling sites) beckons ;)

• Like 1

As much as it tells the tale of how cheaply you can get really good looking and driving big comfy prestige cars in the UK.

It also tells you how easy it is to get a MOT in the UK,

sometimes on cars / vehicles that should not be on the road.  

The UK MOTing system is a bit of a joke really and allows all sorts of dodgy geezers to get a 'full ticket' a basically unroad worthy motor.

As much as it tells the tale of how cheaply you can get really good looking and driving big comfy prestige cars in the UK.

It also tells you how easy it is to get a MOT in the UK,

sometimes on cars / vehicles that should not be on the road.  

The UK MOTing system is a bit of a joke really and allows all sorts of dodgy geezers to get a 'full ticket' a basically unroad worthy motor.

Hey?

Our MOT is harsh and explains why people prefer little cheap cars that are less difficult to get through an MOT than the big stuff which can be prohibitively expensive to get through.

I've never found any MOT to be less than exhaustive.....wherever I've had it done!

OK some non-MOT items can make a car with a full no-advisory MOT useless, like a duff gearbox for example but the test is far more thorough than many places outside the UK!

• Like 1

So it is, very exhaustive.  

Except where it is not, like still many places that seem able to keep being allowed to able to be MOT Testing Stations.,

Names?

Addresses?

Post Codes?

Come on - name and shame.

I've yet to find an MOT station that is dogily lax. But some are certainly overly harsh.

I'll never again put a car for MOT at the same company that services. I'm quite certain it was harshly assessed in order to extract business.

• Like 2

Now now, are you saying they do not exist and they are a fig box of my imagination?

Yes

Unless you can provide proof otherwise.

Edited by BJM

BJM,

you are on the Internet, so look at the few that are caught, the few, not all that do it.

Northern Ireland 100% pass rate case. (Cookstown)

£100 MOT pass guaranteed

then look at the Post Code MOT passes etc, and the various investigations.

Some lose licences because they offer DPF removal, and some lose the right to be a MOT test station.

?

Do you want to name those you know on the Grip, working in the Black Economy, those Couriers not declaring all to the HMRC etc?

Cash in hand or the likes.

If you think all Franchised Dealerships have straight MOT's on their brands that fail elsewhere, 

or there are Traders can not get a Pass without the car ever visiting the Station, then you are deluded.

http://raccars.co.uk/news/article/3483/20-of-mot-passes-are-not-roadworthy

http://just-mots.co.uk/avoid-mot-scams

Link not working so maybe google.

just mots.co.uk/avoid mot scams.   

Edited by GoneOffSKi

To be fair my first car was a hand me down from a relative, that frankly shouldn't have had an MOT. One look at the rust would have told you that.

I think yes it used to be pretty easy to buy and MOT, but I'd say it's far harder to do this today.

I also think that with the central system and ANPR, anyone wanting to do a bit of a dodgy arrangement, will get caught out pretty quickly with data analytics.

Add to that a few random stops for cars with a valid MOT and you'd be able to pin point a lax MOT centre quite quickly.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go back to a new car now, I do enjoy the luxo barge driving and the fact it costs me less then any car on a similar finance scheme. The thing I have found most helpful is to get into the community around the brand of car that you like and as such the spares are out there and for reasonable money.

But yes England is better for buying second hand I have noticed my parental figures live in Costa del England and trying to find a reasonable second hand car was a lot more challenging then over here for the same money. 

• Like 1

I find a good compromise to to have a lease car for a set mileage, in my case 20K a year which only cost be £200 a month for a full loaded Dacia Logan, and then have the luxury barge to balance the lease mileage and when I want to drive an auto and the luxury experience.  Seems a good compromise and mix.

Now I have bought myself a little cigarette lighter FM transmitting device that has the USB/SD card slots for all the music I am not limited to digging out my CD collection but can access all my music and have the phone connectivity through the car speakers too.  Happy Days.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go back to a new car now, I do enjoy the luxo barge driving and the fact it costs me less then any car on a similar finance scheme. The thing I have found most helpful is to get into the community around the brand of car that you like and as such the spares are out there and for reasonable .

Exactly what I think and what I did.
  • Like 2