The "unique paint & wheels combo" syndrome

newbie69

Are other people suffering from this as well? In short, for every car out there that I'd be interested in owning, I find there is only one specific color and one specific OEM wheel combo that works. To an extent that if the car does not come in this color and especially wheels, I find it almost looking ugly. Not the best thing to suffer from when looking at used or already built cars that may even be a bargain obviously but I just can't help it. Once I lock on one specific combo that's it, not accepting anything else...

Edited by newbie69

I get where your coming from with that, but i dont think it bothers as much as it does you :D

Kind of annoying when you're not building a new car from scratch, and also makes you hate the very same car you drive when you see it with different shoes and paint which is... strange!

• Like 1

I do know what you mean. Interior options as well.

I was in a rather nioce Jaag the otehr day with 'Barley' interior. I would have described it as nicotine stain yellow. 'orrible.

Also some cars have stinking alloys. Some of the options on Audis are just nasty. I like my alloys fairly plain.

I found these ones pretty nasty and they're on high spec cars as well

3780904288_3e0c0cbb6d_z.jpg?zz=1

The Kia Optima has some pretty bogging alloys as well...

2012-kia-optima-7.jpg

Are other people suffering from this as well? In short, for every car out there that I'd be interested in owning, I find there is only one specific color and one specific OEM wheel combo that works. To an extent that if the car does not come in this color and especially wheels, I find it almost looking ugly. Not the best thing to suffer from when looking at used or already built cars that may even be a bargain obviously but I just can't help it. Once I lock on one specific combo that's it, not accepting anything else...

Yes. For me it was a 1999 Impreza Turbo which just had to be dark blue and silver wheels. Bought it brand new. Moving on 16 years it's now a jungle green Yeti.

I found these ones pretty nasty and they're on high spec cars as well

3780904288_3e0c0cbb6d_z.jpg?zz=1

The Kia Optima has some pretty bogging alloys as well...

2012-kia-optima-7.jpg

Add anything Black to that list and the latest Civic wheels as well...

post-93-0-56369300-1459885404_thumb.jpg

It's not just about bad wheels to be honest, but rather how one specific design (and colour) can completely ruin a car's look. It doesn't sound right to do so but certainly feels like it on many occasions.

I went into the Skoda dealership knowing exactly what I wanted. Mk 2 Fabia Monte Carlo 105 BHP in red thank you very much. Trim level wasn't that important and I only had a slight preference for petrol over diesel but other than that... It HAD to be in red and had to be a Monte and the highest power to.

Won't have white or black as they get mucky fast, won't have silver because everyone has silver and it's common as muck. I may have been swayed towards a yellow one at a push if the spec and price were right.

• Like 1

There seems to be a fashion at the moment for black alloys, either from factory or sprayed afterwards. I much prefer a standard good looking car, to a mediocre car that has been modified/ repainted to look better.

I don't think my car (mk1 Fabia) is a pretty looking car, in fact I think it's distinct ugliness gives it character, but I do think it looks best in blue :D

The best example I can think of in terms of set colour matching is the old Wrc Subaru, that blue with the bright yellow decals and the golden wheels, seems odd imagining it, but looks stunning in the flesh.

JRJG

Black Alloy wheels make for a simple and sometimes inexpensive touch up from kerbing.

(Even using Black Nail Varnish.)

Tyres with a decent bit of Alloy Wheel Rim protection is a good idea for OEM fit tyres, 

and even Car Manufacturers and wheel manufacturers giving some consideration not only to the Performance & Look of Tyres and Wheels, 

but on them not being so susceptible to damage from the slightest touch of a kerb, ironworks on roads or ramps at road works.