The 220ps experiences, questions & answers thread

* The weird, dull throttle response (easily fixed with a RaceChip response control pedal box)

Overall though, I'm still in love.  :sun:  How are you all getting on?

Really liked - one again - reading your thoughts on the car. Especially since I'm 2 months away from taking delivery of mine :) 

Regarding the weird/dull throttle response, there was a fix through VCDS - setting the throttle pedal response to "Audi" - the reviews were good on this setting. Have you tried it ? 

Really liked - one again - reading your thoughts on the car. Especially since I'm 2 months away from taking delivery of mine :)

Regarding the weird/dull throttle response, there was a fix through VCDS - setting the throttle pedal response to "Audi" - the reviews were good on this setting. Have you tried it ? 

I did look for someone local with VCDS but didn't have much luck. I also read on here someone saying that they didn't find it that good and the RaceChip was far better, so I just bought one of those. :)  You'll love the car when it arrives, keep us updated and let us know what you think!

• Like 1

* The weird, dull throttle response (easily fixed with a RaceChip response control pedal box)

Had my L&K 2.0 TSI 220ps DSG for a couple of weeks now, coming from a Mk3 octy 184ps DSG Vrs..... well it's like chalk and cheese, which I expected. A serene driving experience compared to my former car. Still being easy on the engine at the mo, trying to break the beast in according to your earlier thread.

But I too can't help but feel the accelerator response is a little lethargic to say the least, especially compared to the Vrs.

Can I ask which RaceChip response control pedal box did you fit? and how easy it was to install?

Thanks Pete

Had my L&K 2.0 TSI 220ps DSG for a couple of weeks now, coming from a Mk3 octy 184ps DSG Vrs..... well it's like chalk and cheese, which I expected. A serene driving experience compared to my former car. Still being easy on the engine at the mo, trying to break the beast in according to your earlier thread.

But I too can't help but feel the accelerator response is a little lethargic to say the least, especially compared to the Vrs.

Can I ask which RaceChip response control pedal box did you fit? and how easy it was to install?

Thanks Pete

They're set up very differently, for sure. It's mostly an eco thing in Drive's settings rather than the actual car. Pop the DSG into manual mode (push it left from D) and use the stick or paddles (if fitted) to change gear instead. You'll notice the throttle response is suddenly rather better. I actually use manual override a lot now (mostly approaching bends or roundabouts) to ensure I can put the power down and balance the car when needed. Most people probably wouldn't tell the difference, as you can negotiate a roundabout at 20mph in D no bother. If it's quiet and you want to carry some speed through the shortest route across though, you'll find you press the throttle to balance the car and... nothing... pause... there it is, just at the point you needed the car to stabilise (oh and here's a gear change you didn't want). I'll PM you.

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Finally I ordered my combi 220 yesterday. In the end I decided to dive deep and afford myself and my family insanely loaded car :p . I hope I will swim to the surface  :notme:

So, it is L&K with practicaly all additional options possible. It is brilliant silver, with beige interior and phoenix 19 inch rims.

Waiting time is 2 to 3 months, so I guess I get it midle of April.

Hope the time runs fast:

• Like 1

Hi there!

Finally I ordered my combi 220 yesterday. In the end I decided to dive deep and afford myself and my family insanely loaded car :p . I hope I will swim to the surface  :notme:

So, it is L&K with practicaly all additional options possible. It is brilliant silver, with beige interior and phoenix 19 inch rims.

Hope the time runs fast:

Excellent. You won't be disappointed!

I collected my 220 L&K estate on Monday and promptly drove 300 miles towards home, completing the other 150 miles on Tuesday.

What a car.  She is fantastic in all respects.  I cant find anything I don't like.  I have done 500 miles in total and returned 41 mpg (fill to fill).  Astonishing.  All the toys I specified are better than I anticipated.

I am in love

(Sad) Pilkers :notme:  :devil:  :devil:  

Hi.

On Friday I ordered similar car, L&K with practically all the possible extra goodies, including all driving assistance gizmos, sunroof and stationary heating (quite cold winters here). I want to know are you still in love, or was it just an infatuation and it is wearing off? :p  

@freelunch Looking good. Funny how the various colours can make it look like a completely different car! It sounds like you're well on the way to finding your proverbial feet in the new motor, but for your real feet try folding/hooking your left leg behind your right leg for a couple of days. That way every time you automatically go to press the clutch or brake you'll instantly tangle behind your right leg, and realise before you end up doing a hard stop (by hitting the brake instead of the imaginary clutch!). You soon adjust to the point where even just a year later there are days where I wonder whether I'd even remember how to drive a manual any more. :D

Our usage sounds quite similar. We do mostly town driving but when we go on the motorway we go big (eg Liverpool to Devon and back). Make sure you fuel up with 99 RON fuel (eg V-Power, Tesco Momentum 99, Costco 99) as the engine really does respond well to it. From your description you really do drive the car and make full use of the gears/engine, so you'll no doubt notice the benefits. On 99 RON the timing advances to give a significant bump in low and mid range power, and as a bonus the MPG is better too. Although the biggest boon with higher octane is stability under WOT or high loads, the extra low down grunt is a big benefit in town. When mine ends up with 95 in the tank for whatever reason, I can immediately feel the loss of power under 1,500rpm (it feels dead until the turbo spools up). On 99 it pulls cleanly no matter what the revs. I daresay only certain types of drivers would notice, but it's there nonetheless. Enjoy your car. :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freelunch said:

Red 66-reg Skoda Superb Sportline 2.0 TSI DSG

I brought my Sportline home yesterday. I bought the sales manager's car, which he'd been driving since October. That means I didn't spec a new car myself, but I liked the look of it and it came pretty well loaded. (It just doesn't park itself.) So, it's a "new" car with 1,700 miles on it.

I traded in a 2008 Alfa Romeo Brera, so I'm learning to cope with driving a big automatic. I keep reaching for the shifter at intersections. I keep trying to use my left foot (maybe I can make a velcro strap to go on the left foot rest :). My first parallel parking attempt, I was a foot away from the curb and passed by a spot that (with practice) I should be able to fit in. And, I've never owned a red car before.

I took my wife for a ride and she was impressed. So smooth! (Very noticeable coming from the Brera.) The stereo is terrific. (Jo said she's never heard the sound of the saliva in the sax's mouthpiece before.) Good power – I put my foot down on a damp onramp in Normal mode and the front tyres broke loose, caught by the traction control. I might try it again with the traction control off. I'm quickly learning to turn s/s off as I approach a roundabout and snick the lever back to Sport when traffic is heavy, even though the s/s start is pretty seamless in normal traffic.

I like the stop/start – never had it before. On my test drives, I experimented with all the modes and manual shifting with the paddles – nice on hilly, winding roads – unnecessary in town. I really like this automatic. I do 95% of my driving in town, but 95% of my miles on the motorway (if that makes sense).

I've already spent hours with the manual in my lap, trying to set preferences for "infotainment". I've got to work out how to set memory for the passenger mirror when parking.

In the process of converting tens of thousands of Apple lossless files to WAV format. Got to learn how to work SatNav, never had one. So, hours of fun ahead of me.

like this car!

2016 Skoda Superb Sportline.JPG

Corrida red is the new black.  Suits the car so well.  Enjoy! 

Mine, after a chip, drives much better :)

OEM - 242 BHP / 360 Nm

Chip - 312 BHP / 419 Nm

DSG was chipped too, so no more driving with 1200 revs/min.

njUyKr6kzvG5uEarQxbCpodljO-4VpJ1LeDYsJu3

Edited by Enriquez
  • Like 2

On 24/01/2017 at 11:47, freelunch said:

Red 66-reg Skoda Superb Sportline 2.0 TSI DSG

I brought my Sportline home yesterday. I bought the sales manager's car, which he'd been driving since October. That means I didn't spec a new car myself, but I liked the look of it and it came pretty well loaded. (It just doesn't park itself.) So, it's a "new" car with 1,700 miles on it.

I traded in a 2008 Alfa Romeo Brera, so I'm learning to cope with driving a big automatic. I keep reaching for the shifter at intersections. I keep trying to use my left foot (maybe I can make a velcro strap to go on the left foot rest :). My first parallel parking attempt, I was a foot away from the curb and passed by a spot that (with practice) I should be able to fit in. And, I've never owned a red car before.

I took my wife for a ride and she was impressed. So smooth! (Very noticeable coming from the Brera.) The stereo is terrific. (Jo said she's never heard the sound of the saliva in the sax's mouthpiece before.) Good power – I put my foot down on a damp onramp in Normal mode and the front tyres broke loose, caught by the traction control. I might try it again with the traction control off. I'm quickly learning to turn s/s off as I approach a roundabout and snick the lever back to Sport when traffic is heavy, even though the s/s start is pretty seamless in normal traffic.

I like the stop/start – never had it before. On my test drives, I experimented with all the modes and manual shifting with the paddles – nice on hilly, winding roads – unnecessary in town. I really like this automatic. I do 95% of my driving in town, but 95% of my miles on the motorway (if that makes sense).

I've already spent hours with the manual in my lap, trying to set preferences for "infotainment". I've got to work out how to set memory for the passenger mirror when parking.

In the process of converting tens of thousands of Apple lossless files to WAV format. Got to learn how to work SatNav, never had one. So, hours of fun ahead of me.

like this car!

2016 Skoda Superb Sportline.JPG

Hi freelunch, great looking car. Can I ask a couple of questions. Firstly, Are you experiencing any of the lethargic acceleration tendencies experienced by some L&K owners? Secondly, Does the petrol 220 come with the actual fake chrome exhausts like the Octavia vRS, as I know the diesel Sportline's have a chrome "trim" on the rear bumper rather than the fake pipes. 

I'm looking to order a new Sportline Estate but cannot find a petrol example anywhere to test drive. But have driven a 190 diesel. 

The 220's are like hens teeth, but for me that's a real positive. 

Cheers 

Edited by Skodev

21 minutes ago, Skodev said:

Secondly, Does the petrol 220 come with the actual fake chrome exhausts like the Octavia vRS, as I know the diesel Sportline's have a chrome "trim" on the rear bumper rather than the fake pipes. 

All 280s (irrespective of trim level) have the pair of visible real exhaust trims.

All other SportLines come with the chrome trim on the rear diffuser... which is also different to non SportLines, (IMO it’s a strange decision as the SportLine has all the other chrome pieces in gloss black :wondering:

superb-sportline-slider-06.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, roaddetective said:

Followed a 66 reg MK3 VRS the other day and it had steam coming from both exhausts, so at last no false O/S exhaust. Hate false ones myself!!

I thought the TSi vRS had always had real pipes, it was only the TDi vRS that had the fake R/H pipe?

13 minutes ago, Skodev said:

... Are you experiencing any of the lethargic acceleration tendencies experienced by some L&K owners? Secondly, Does the petrol 220 come with the actual fake chrome exhausts like the Octavia vRS, as I know the diesel Sportline's have a chrome "trim" on the rear bumper rather than the fake pipes.

I had to go look at my car! I've spent most of my time trying to figure out the Columbus preferences and pouring over the 330 page manual. Yes, the exhaust on my car is a chrome trim. The exhaust pipe ends under the car.

I've not experienced anything lethargic about the Sportline. Maybe diesel owners are waiting for the turbo to spool up? I notice a difference in response when setting different modes. You definitely have to give it more pedal when you're in the comfort mode. When it's in Sport mode manual, the word lethargy does not enter your mind.

Silencer.JPG

Trim.JPG

9 minutes ago, freelunch said:

I had to go look at my car! I've spent most of my time trying to figure out the Columbus preferences and pouring over the 330 page manual. Yes, the exhaust on my car is a chrome trim. The exhaust pipe ends under the car.

I've not experienced anything lethargic about the Sportline. Maybe diesel owners are waiting for the turbo to spool up? I notice a difference in response when setting different modes. You definitely have to give it more pedal when you're in the comfort mode. When it's in Sport mode manual, the word lethargy does not enter your mind.

Silencer.JPG

Trim.JPG

Cheers buddy appreciate the quick response and apologies for you getting you up off the couch. 

Good news regarding the lack of lethargy on acceleration. The other posts were from owners of 220 tsi L&K, not diesel. I currently run a MY16 diesel Octy vRS, and it's never out of Sport mode. 

17 minutes ago, Gizmo68 said:

I thought the TSi vRS had always had real pipes, it was only the TDi vRS that had the fake R/H pipe?

Correct. I've got a fake R/H pipe. 

But I rarely notice when I'm driving it. 

On 22. 1. 2017 at 21:43, niceasmay said:

Hi there!

Hope the time runs fast:

I changed beige to brown, was affraid to be slave of the car, with too much cleaning to do. Beige interior spreads to the door so every step in would leave a mark.

Today my dealer informed me, my car is due in the last week of March, 2 weeks earlier than the 1st estimate. Cool :)

• Like 2

On 1/28/2017 at 16:03, Gizmo68 said:

All 280s (irrespective of trim level) have the pair of visible real exhaust trims.

All other SportLines come with the chrome trim on the rear diffuser... which is also different to non SportLines, (IMO it’s a strange decision as the SportLine has all the other chrome pieces in gloss black :wondering:

superb-sportline-slider-06.jpg

Exhaust 'trim' on the Sporlines is awful.  They should have left it with just a gloss black diffuser or similar or put proper exhaust pipes on it like the 280, even if one was just fake.   Mercedes have spoiled all their lower power output cars by doing exactly the same.  Why draw attention to the fact nothing is there? 

9 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Exhaust 'trim' on the Sporlines is awful.  They should have left it with just a gloss black diffuser or similar or put proper exhaust pipes on it like the 280, even if one was just fake.   Mercedes have spoiled all their lower power output cars by doing exactly the same.  Why draw attention to the fact nothing is there? 

Just get the 280, job done :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Prykey said:

Just get the 280, job done :D

If I didn't have to worry about doing 25K a year then I wouldn't even give it a second thought.  Hopefully by the time I'm ready for a new car I won't be doing as many miles.  Going to go for a full fat petrol next, for sure! 

Did you get your car from Trans City?  Warren and Terry sold me my first Skoda, Mk2 Octy vRS.  Watching them get it down from the top floor showroom was like a game of Tetris

19 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Exhaust 'trim' on the Sporlines is awful.  They should have left it with just a gloss black diffuser

Why draw attention to the fact nothing is there? 

I don't mind the SportLine diffuser, granted real pipes would be better, but it is better than the std diffuser. 

I do agree it looks odd on a SportLine though as there is no other chrome on the car. 

Depends what hat you call 'nothing' I suppose, 220 bhp  / 505 Nm will 'have to do' for those of us who do silly mileage. 

1 minute ago, Gizmo68 said:

I don't mind the SportLine diffuser, granted real pipes would be better, but it is better than the std diffuser. 

I do agree it looks odd on a SportLine though as there is no other chrome on the car. 

Depends what hat you call 'nothing' I suppose, 220 bhp  / 505 Nm will 'have to do' for those of us who do silly mileage. 

By nothing I meant - no actual exhaust/pipes/aperture, the chrome trim is just alluding to an exhaust like shape.  Either have an exhaust visible or don't.  They could have got away with it if the exhaust shapes were actually closed and there wasn't a long bit of chrome joining the two. 

That would have been too fake for me then, the chrome strip in the middle at least emphasises that they are not tail pipes. 

Obviously we are all different... just my opinion.